U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 05:45 PM

15 posts, read 16,097 times

Advertisements

I have moved to this city and building 4 months ago and I have been working so hard since then that I did not have time to go out a lot. long story short, I met this young lady in the elevator and we chatted for few minutes about what # is your apt and how do you like it here (we live on the same floor). she said that she lives with a roommate.

I am looking to meet people and make friends in this new place and she seemed a friendly person. I am looking for a friendly way to approach her, what ideas do you have for me.

thank you in advance.

Last edited by immortal234; 11-14-2011 at 06:33 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 05:51 PM

5,420 posts, read 8,524,296 times
1. Depending on the city, cost of living could be very high. Chances are when she said "roommate" she really meant "roommate", not some secret code for a live-in boyfriend (she probably would have mentioned that if it was the case).
2. Next time you see her, just ask her if she would mind telling you where some good places to socialize are. When she mentions one that sounds interesting to you, invite her along.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:52 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,065,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal234 View Post
I have moved to this city and building 4 months ago and I have been working so hard since then that I did not have time to go out a lot. long story short, I met this young lady in the elevator and we chatted for few minutes about what # is your apt and how do you like it here (we live on the same floor). she said that she lives with a roommate.

2 questions

1. when she said a roommate, could this mean a boyfriend?
2. I am looking to meet people and make friends in this new place and she seemed a friendly person. I am looking for a friendly way to approach her, what ideas do you have for me.

thank you in advance.
If the roommate were her boyfriend she would have just said "I live with my boyfriend".

Since she was friendly and obviously open to conversation, just go knock on her door and tell her you're going out for a sandwich and wanted to know if she wanted to come along - your treat. Her reaction will tell you if she's interested and/or available

Good luck.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Thanks JP: I think so too, I wanted to double check. I just do not know when I will meet her in the elevator again

Lovemountain: i do not think this will work, since we chatted fore 2-3 minutes and i dont even know her name

Old 11-14-2011, 06:13 PM

28,900 posts, read 50,199,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If the roommate were her boyfriend she would have just said "I live with my boyfriend".

Since she was friendly and obviously open to conversation, just go knock on her door and tell her you're going out for a sandwich and wanted to know if she wanted to come along - your treat. Her reaction will tell you if she's interested and/or available

Good luck.
While I'm not so sure about the knocking on her door, I think the inviting her out for something extremely low key is the right call.

In fact, I would be patient about matters and have a couple of more conversations. Then, there's nothing wrong with saying, "Hey, I'm totally new here and don't know a soul. I hope you don't get the wrong idea, but how do you feel about...."

Old 11-14-2011, 06:24 PM

11,869 posts, read 15,774,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
While I'm not so sure about the knocking on her door, I think the inviting her out for something extremely low key is the right call.
As a single female, some guy I met once or twice knocking on my door would be unacceptable. DO NOT do that.

I would ask her if she has any suggestions for things to do on the weekends, where to meet people. I think if she's interested, she would speak up and invite you out with friends or alone.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:32 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,777,371 times
Quote:
Thanks JP: I think so too, I wanted to double check. I just do not know when I will meet her in the elevator again

Lovemountain: i do not think this will work, since we chatted fore 2-3 minutes and i dont even know her name
Yeah don't go knocking on her door just yet. Bad idea.

If she lives on the same floor, I'm sure you'll meet her again soon. Just keep talking to her (get her name next time) and when you feel comfortable with it, ask her out ...or seeing as how you live so close together, see if she wants to watch a movie or something at your place. Invite her roommate over too if it'll make her less nervous. You met the person you're interested in first so doing this won't kill that connection.

It's important to be comfortable asking her out because if your not, most likely it will be awkward and hurt your chances.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:32 PM

I wont knock on her door, it doesn't sound the best way to approach her after we chatted few minutes in the elevator. I think I will wait, and hopefully I will run into her again.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:36 PM

42,835 posts, read 83,402,782 times
Quote:

2 questions

1. when she said a roommate, could this mean a boyfriend?
2. I am looking to meet people and make friends in this new place and she seemed a friendly person. I am looking for a friendly way to approach her, what ideas do you have for me.

thank you in advance.
If she told you her apt #, it's perfectly fine to find some excuse to stop by, even if it's asking for some sugar you're out of. I don't see anything wrong with inviting her to the movies and/or a bite to eat, either. Another option would be to have a little housewarming party, supposedly for neighbors , if you have nobody else to invite at this point. That would require having a few other people, though.

And no, if she didn't specify a BF, she doesn't live with a BF. As a matter of fact, she could've said that if she wanted to get rid of you. It might be a green light... Don't listen to paranoia and go ahead! She doesn't sound like a stuck-up girl. Good luck!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:53 PM

28,900 posts, read 50,199,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
If she told you her apt #, it's perfectly fine to find some excuse to stop by, even if it's asking for some sugar you're out of. I don't see anything wrong with inviting her to the movies and/or a bite to eat, either. Another option would be to have a little housewarming party, supposedly for neighbors , if you have nobody else to invite at this point. That would require having a few other people, though.

And no, if she didn't specify a BF, she doesn't live with a BF. As a matter of fact, she could've said that if she wanted to get rid of you. It might be a green light... Don't listen to paranoia and go ahead! She doesn't sound like a stuck-up girl. Good luck!
Actually, this is a good point.

However, don't be the desperate guy. Find the pretense to drop by, borrow your cup of whatever, chit chat for three minutes and go. And if there's anything there, you'll know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships