Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women: What percentage of the male population do you find attractive?
0, besides my husband or/so. 4 4.30%
0-24% 68 73.12%
25-49% 11 11.83%
50-74% 7 7.53%
75%+ 3 3.23%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:45 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,197,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
You do realize men do the same and that by saying men have no choice you are playing the victim card. You make it sound like all men will take anyone who will have them (even if they aren't interested). I don't know any man who is in a relationship against his will. Point is, every choice in a relationship that a woman has a man has too. Unless you have low self esteem and take anyone who comes along I suppose.

Men and women choose to stay together and choose to be in a relationship together. If a man doesn't want to be in a relationship with a woman or want to stay in one with her, he can choose to leave. Same with a woman, she can chose not to be in a relationship or leave too.

Even before a relationship someone chooses to approach or ask out, the other chooses to accept, they both choose to go out on another date (or not). Without two people choosing to be in a relationship with each other, it doesn't happen. Period.

Oh, and as for getting older and women being hard to find... that's a choice too. You chose to wait until you were older to find someone. Nothing wrong with that (I think that's a smart choice myself), but don't pretend you didn't make that choice. One of the consequences of that choice is that all the women of the world aren't going to wait for you, so later, there are less women available to you that meet your standards because other men, made the choice to find those women sooner. Or you choose to have a younger woman with no children... again, your choice. You limit yourself with your choice, but it's your right to date who you want. But again, don't pretend it's not a choice you made. Me, I am dating later in life too where I am more established... yes, it made it harder to find someone. But I didn't make the same choices you did as I am dating someone my age with children (the children are adult children and aren't an issue at all... they don't come on the dates with us after all or even care--beyond any concern an adult child might have for a parent of course). But that's my choice and mine doesn't have to be the same as yours or vice versa.
What you are accusing me of saying, I didn't. At all. I merely responded to another posters query. I never stated men do not choose either. Please reread my responses for clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 08:26 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,696,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
What you are accusing me of saying, I didn't. At all. I merely responded to another posters query. I never stated men do not choose either. Please reread my responses for clarity.
I misread what you wrote because of the way I read/followed the chain of responses... I was reading it as you saying women have most of the choice, but rereading you didn't say that at all. My apologies. I will blame it on my choice not to have coffee before posting this morning (I've made the choice to have coffee now... and it's a good choice).

Old 09-04-2015, 08:55 AM

565 posts, read 431,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nobody said "average" (I don't think). They said 80% are below my standards. Everybody knows that 50% are always below average, so a special, personal scale of standards is implied by any number other than 50%.

I would say that 80% of women would not turn my head on the basis of looks alone, but when other discernible factors are entered into the mix, there are quite a few others that I would be attracted to, but not necessarily for reason of looks alone. So it is not unreasonable for an "average" person to have an 80/20 rule.
Yes, I do believe in the 80/20 rule, it is absolutely astonishing how many time it repeats itself in all facets of life.

but

Women believe 80% of men are below average looking

Your Looks and Your Inbox « OkTrends

Old 09-04-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I misread what you wrote because of the way I read/followed the chain of responses... I was reading it as you saying women have most of the choice, but rereading you didn't say that at all. My apologies. I will blame it on my choice not to have coffee before posting this morning (I've made the choice to have coffee now... and it's a good choice).
Ok. No problem.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:55 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,054,485 times
Quote:
You do realize men do the same and that by saying men have no choice you are playing the victim card.
Men, in general, are victims of this current society.

Quote:
You make it sound like all men will take anyone who will have them (even if they aren't interested). I don't know any man who is in a relationship against his will. Point is, every choice in a relationship that a woman has a man has too. Unless you have low self esteem and take anyone who comes along I suppose.
I've found that most men make HUGE concessions in who they are willing to date, which significantly depends on their limited options. Meanwhile, women that I know seem to decide that they like a man and are able to get him with ease.

So, yes, as I said, men take what they can get, whereas women take what they want.

Quote:
Men and women choose to stay together and choose to be in a relationship together. If a man doesn't want to be in a relationship with a woman or want to stay in one with her, he can choose to leave. Same with a woman, she can chose not to be in a relationship or leave too.
Women have far more choice and, therefore, the ability to put up with less BS than men.

Quote:
Oh, and as for getting older and women being hard to find... that's a choice too. You chose to wait until you were older to find someone. Nothing wrong with that (I think that's a smart choice myself), but don't pretend you didn't make that choice. One of the consequences of that choice is that all the women of the world aren't going to wait for you, so later, there are less women available to you that meet your standards because other men, made the choice to find those women sooner. Or you choose to have a younger woman with no children... again, your choice. You limit yourself with your choice, but it's your right to date who you want. But again, don't pretend it's not a choice you made. Me, I am dating later in life too where I am more established... yes, it made it harder to find someone. But I didn't make the same choices you did as I am dating someone my age with children (the children are adult children and aren't an issue at all... they don't come on the dates with us after all or even care--beyond any concern an adult child might have for a parent of course). But that's my choice and mine doesn't have to be the same as yours or vice versa.
Men choosing a woman with no children is not the same as, say, a woman choosing to date men that are tall. One is practical, sensible, and reflects protecting one's own interests. The other is completely superficial. These are, generally, the kinds of obstacles that men have to overcome versus women.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:39 PM

579 posts, read 553,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
It's more of an ego thing. Age isn't a factor either. It's just guys whom women line up for and the guy knows it. A former friend of mine was like this and the last time I saw him we were in our late twenties and he had a fiancé yet was having sex with a different woman every night.
Women are just as responsible as men are for creating scenarios like this.
Nearly all of your boyfriends? Sounds like you have a pattern of finding and dating these types of guys.
It's not just "players" who cheat that I'm talking about, men can lie about all types of things. I do think part of it has to do with age and maturity.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
It's not just "players" who cheat that I'm talking about, men can lie about all types of things. I do think part of it has to do with age and maturity.
As can women. As I said before its an ego driven thing with men. I am 46 and I have seen guys older then me doing these things.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:08 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,476,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm a guy, who had never asked a girl before what she thought was good looking in a guy, but just last month I did. I was traveling in a car with two French girls, and we came to a border crossing with about a 15-minute passport queue. There were two young local guys standing near us, that I thought would be inconspicuously average in any crowd. They weren't exactly chatting the girls up, but just making polite conversation among strangers, which was relaxed and pleasant. Back in the car, I asked the girls if they thought the guys were hot. Their consensus rating was about an 8 on a scale of 10. Which, I must say, rather surprised me. Both girls, by the way, were at least 8 in my book.
Of course you were thrown a curve. I'd imagine French women are at least "normal" to that extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question2015 View Post
If 80% of guys are below average looking, then someone doesn't really understand what average means.
The average person isn't attractive. If I put together an "average" of men and women I was walking passed at UH doing some side work, it's not overly pretty. Lots of skinny fat guys (some ethnics/manlets, too) and lots of jiggly shoulder and face fat on the girls. It is what it is. A school of that size is a pretty telling sample.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
The bolded is it in a nutshell. I'm not sure why so many women seem to claim something different when this is clearly what's happening IRL.

Of course, as I've gotten older and acquired more resources, I've become far more discerning in the women that I let into my life.

She has to be pretty, younger than me, and intelligent with no kids, no sketchy background, and no promiscuous past.

Unfortunately, these qualities are very difficult to find in women these days. They don't make em like they used to.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't, though. Right? I mean, you're not suppose to judge, so just allow all that riff-raff into your life? Please.

It's like the part where I was pointing out to my stepmom that "smart and good education" aren't a big deal for guys. Her thought: "Oh, so you only like bimbos!?!" Yeah, more women shaming...from another woman. On that point, women's IQ is a touch lower (negating her point) on average, but has a tighter distribution. You won't find a classic "dumb jock" or Albert Einstein in female form all that often. So, now you know. When women say young girls are dumber, they're coping with their competition. Like I've pointed out already, people don't grow brain cells over time. You've got it...or you don't.

Quote:
Oh please. Men choose things when it comes to women all the time. They choose to treat their girlfriends like ****, they choose to have one night stands, they choose to lie. As if women always get to choose
You have to be a really undesirable woman if the male surplus doesn't work in your favor.

Next thing you will point out is that men are awful for trying to prop women into ONS using OLD...while leaving out the fact that women "give it up" enough on OLD sites to make that Hail Mary worthwhile.

Quote:
But do you realize how often this behavior happens? I've encountered with nearly all of my boyfriends and countless other guys. Maybe it's just a maturity thing. Guys under 25 are generally mentally inept
It's you.

I could get one of my aunts on the phone and ask her what "forced" her into two marriages with these supposedly abusive men as opposed to any other decent guy out there and I doubt she'd be able to explain it rationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question2015 View Post
Yes, I do believe in the 80/20 rule, it is absolutely astonishing how many time it repeats itself in all facets of life.

but

Women believe 80% of men are below average looking

Your Looks and Your Inbox « OkTrends
I could believe that there are lots of ugly guys using OLD. Then again, that doesn't even touch the undesirable women using OLD, either.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:12 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,224,411 times
I just posted on another thread about Tom Brady.

Handsome, famous, rich - but theres something about him I find deeply, deeply unattractive.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

I go by instinct.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:17 PM

579 posts, read 553,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Of course you were thrown a curve. I'd imagine French women are at least "normal" to that extent.

The average person isn't attractive. If I put together an "average" of men and women I was walking passed at UH doing some side work, it's not overly pretty. Lots of skinny fat guys (some ethnics/manlets, too) and lots of jiggly shoulder and face fat on the girls. It is what it is. A school of that size is a pretty telling sample.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, though. Right? I mean, you're not suppose to judge, so just allow all that riff-raff into your life? Please.

It's like the part where I was pointing out to my stepmom that "smart and good education" aren't a big deal for guys. Her thought: "Oh, so you only like bimbos!?!" Yeah, more women shaming...from another woman. On that point, women's IQ is a touch lower (negating her point) on average, but has a tighter distribution. You won't find a classic "dumb jock" or Albert Einstein in female form all that often. So, now you know. When women say young girls are dumber, they're coping with their competition. Like I've pointed out already, people don't grow brain cells over time. You've got it...or you don't.

You have to be a really undesirable woman if the male surplus doesn't work in your favor.

Next thing you will point out is that men are awful for trying to prop women into ONS using OLD...while leaving out the fact that women "give it up" enough on OLD sites to make that Hail Mary worthwhile.

It's you.

I could get one of my aunts on the phone and ask her what "forced" her into two marriages with these supposedly abusive men as opposed to any other decent guy out there and I doubt she'd be able to explain it rationally.

I could believe that there are lots of ugly guys using OLD. Then again, that doesn't even touch the undesirable women using OLD, either.

Wow. This entire post just makes you sound like an exceptionally bitter and judgmental personal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships