Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:25 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times

Advertisements

Just remember that money doesn't buy happiness. I read somewhere that when a person wins the lotto, they end up being just as sad or happy in one year, as they were before winning it. This goes to say that happiness is not about how rich you are. You can have the latest Jaguar and the most beautiful mansion, and still be miserable. Many women marry into wealth and never see their workaholic husband and are so miserable. They turn 65 and realize they have been wasting away all alone, so they start having affairs with the pool boy and any other younger guy who can make her feel wanted and just as young as she was when she got married.

If he makes you happy, then that's what's going to matter later too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
You could still have a house and a family--but you'd be the bread winner. There are a growing number of stay at home Dad's these days. If he is able to maintain a household and take care of children that's not such a bad setup--but obviously its a personal choice.
If he can't work, how is he going to run a household?

Old 11-17-2011, 05:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So many seem to think that being a home-maker is such an easy task and flip it out as an alternative to "work" without realizing that the job entails (often hard) physical labor, the ability to multi-task, knowledge of at least basic accounting, basic knowledge of home maintenance and repair, childcare, nursing and Lord knows how many other skills!

Old 11-17-2011, 06:05 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times
In fairness, it depends on the extent of his disability.

Whether he'd be capable of safely looking after children is a debatable point, when I was married, for a while, I was a homemaker to my boy and 2 stepkids, and even being in good health it ran me ragged sometimes !
But things like simple housework, basic home maintenance, budgeting etc are all things that can be stopped and started, depending on how he feels.

I think a couple of people, including myself, have asked for clarification on the condition he has, and extent of disability and respective abiliyies, the OP appears to have gone AWOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So many seem to think that being a home-maker is such an easy task and flip it out as an alternative to "work" without realizing that the job entails (often hard) physical labor, the ability to multi-task, knowledge of at least basic accounting, basic knowledge of home maintenance and repair, childcare, nursing and Lord knows how many other skills!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:02 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
For YOU perhaps, but there are many people out there that are very happy in their lives and money had everything to do with it! There are lots of people in society that get very jealous of what others have that they don't, because of lack of finances. There are couples that go to Las Vegas for a week of luxury, entertainment and fun. Do I wish wife and I had the money to stay at Caesar's Palace in a beautiful room, have nice dining, go to Shows and money to gamble with and not have to worry about how much we spend.........darn right! If we won a big lotto and could afford things that we didn't have before winning it.......we'd DEFINITELY be more happy than before we won it! We're happy right now, but having a nice fat banking acct would make a lot of folks much, much more happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Just remember that money doesn't buy happiness. I read somewhere that when a person wins the lotto, they end up being just as sad or happy in one year, as they were before winning it. This goes to say that happiness is not about how rich you are. You can have the latest Jaguar and the most beautiful mansion, and still be miserable. Many women marry into wealth and never see their workaholic husband and are so miserable. They turn 65 and realize they have been wasting away all alone, so they start having affairs with the pool boy and any other younger guy who can make her feel wanted and just as young as she was when she got married.

If he makes you happy, then that's what's going to matter later too.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:53 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I think there is too much focus on careers and money both which can be lost in a heartbeat. If you don't mind being the bread winner then that shouldn't be a problem, the question is are you going to lose respect for him if you are the bread winner? If no, then look toward the future and a potential family.

I totally agree! Within the past 8 years, my salary has significantly increased due to a change in my job. When I was first married, I was a bank teller earning next to nothing. My husband made a decent salary. We married for love, not who was the bread winner. After moving to a back office position and working my butt off to advance my career, I now make more than my husband does. It doesn't matter to either of us. He arranges his work schedule to be home to pick up our child from school and he's "Mr. Mom" until I get home at night. Sometimes thinking things through too much doesn't work. Everything seems to work out and fall in to place if you really want it to

Old 11-17-2011, 02:50 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,256 times
Maybe he could find a way to work from home via computer, in a way where he could work through the hours he is better and take a break when he gets dizzy spells.

He's gotta have good periods or he wouldn't be able to spend quality time with you, right?

Old 11-17-2011, 02:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Since the OP says that he's receiving "benefits" I think one can assume that he's been medically evaluated and is receiving SSDI.

If the prognosis for whatever ails him indicates that any resolution is poor and he's unlikely to ever be employable, then obviously she's faced with a dilemma of magnitude. Since her dream of the future includes the white picket fence and the 2.1 children, she's going to have to be financially able to provide for that dream and accept a reversal of the typical roles.

The "honeymoon" phase of the relationship is over and reality is sinking in. I think that unless she's prepared to seriously contemplate a future of being the financial breadwinner, it's best to nip this in the bud. In my opinion and based also on my own experience, love doesn't conquer all.

Obviously she has a good chance of finding the person who can fulfill most of her dreams but all is certainly not lost for him. I personally have known several couples in similar circumstances who, faced with such adversity and greater, have worked together to establish an incredibly fulfilling relationship. I just don't think this is one of them.
This.

Not everyone is cut out to be in a relationship with a disabled person, and those who don't think they can accept the realities of living with a partner's disability should be really honest about that upfront.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:58 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times
OP: does your boyfriend receive Social Security / SSI / etc. disability benefits? If so, is he also unable to assist or contribute financially to your household, even with these added benefits included?

Old 11-17-2011, 03:25 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
OP: does your boyfriend receive Social Security / SSI / etc. disability benefits? If so, is he also unable to assist or contribute financially to your household, even with these added benefits included?
Redundant. Asked earlier and indicated even earlier by the OP. It helps sometimes to read the whole thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships