Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:34 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times

Advertisements

Okay, TWO posts, BOTH saying there is NOTHING wrong with your looks, but BOTH also stating that there is something "creepy" about it.

The fact is, we call a thing "creepy" when we can't quite put our finger on what's WRONG with it.

And there's nothing wrong with your LOOKS...

Ergo, there's something in it which defies explanation.

Is it really that you took a picture of yourself in a mirror and put that up for your prof pic? While that CAN seem strange, it's often less in the ACT and more in how the act is perpetrated.

You see, a person who comes off as fun, easy-going, and even CHARMING might very well take a pic of themself in a mirror -- but they'll be smiling, demonstrating humour and relaxation, even a bit of open joking such as making a face, winking dramatically -- something which says "This is something to smile about."

Your picture is of a perfectly NICE-looking guy. You have good features, nice build overall, etc, etc.

But you look like you take yourself very seriously, you look like you're taking the picture specifically so people know what you look like, you look like you picked THAT pic out because you think it's a GOOD look for you and conveys something...

And you look a bit desperate in the "posedness" of the picture. The only way you might have really put your self-esteem lower than the pic you took is if you lifted your shirt to show one nipple and did duck-lips like an emo teenie.

I'm cracking on you a little here, but the intent is sincere: Your problem isn't women, it's YOU and considering that you apparently have material to work with...

Well, WORK WITH IT, focus on you and education and job and success FOR YOURSELF, and you will be utterly amazed and surprised at what comes out of the woodwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Good grief.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:47 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
Well...I'm truly tired of rejections...it's not that it bugs me , but after approaching literally hundreds of women..rejections were all I got...
If you are being rejected by "literally hundreds of women", then you may want to rethink your approach. If that many women are turning you down, then the problem isn't the women.

Quote:
there's a whole process before you can actually try the approach...and another whole process that you have to follow during( you have to show that you're funny, intelligent, have some financial security, gotta be tall and fit and this and that and don't do this ...oh...don't do that either...compliment here...never there... be kind but not too much...push and pull.....that's too much manipulation for my taste,
Perhaps this is your problem. You are projecting your bitterness about all the "work" you have to do, onto the women you are approaching. No one likes being asked out by a resentful man who thinks he did all the work.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:55 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
To the OP, I'd suggest you find someone who can be brutally honest with you and advise some kind of make over, either physically or in your attitude. Not a shrink!!!!!!!!!. First dates are often just a matter of physical appearance.

The other problem is that you may be over reaching. I always said about high school, 90% of the boys wanted to date only 10% of the girls and vice versa, so a lot of guys and girls went without a dating or social life with the opposite sex. If you're still in that high school way of thinking, you need to grow up and get more realistic expectations. Besides what makes for a great marriage and life is not the outward appearance, but what's inside. The most beautiful girl you know would most likely make your life a living hell if you were married to her, just like this basketball player that was married to Kim K. for 72 days.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:57 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Someone like you would be better served by meeting a woman through a hobby by which you share a common interest....

That way she won't see how nervous, awkward, and bitter you may appear. The true relaxed you will be revealed when you do this hobby together.

I suggest a meetup or gosocial active group

Old 11-18-2011, 08:07 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
But you look like you take yourself very seriously, you look like you're taking the picture specifically so people know what you look like, you look like you picked THAT pic out because you think it's a GOOD look for you and conveys something...
Personally, I do not see anything wrong with that as I can be a rather 'serious' person as well and it's worked for me. It can be a positive with the RIGHT person... and that's where it's at. The OP should seek out someone who is more similar instead of going for 'party-type' extravert girls.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
Well...I'm truly tired of rejections...it's not that it bugs me , but after approaching literally hundreds of women..rejections were all I got...right now it just seams that approaching women is a big waste of time in my life...everyone says that all it takes is being " your self"...but lets be honest here....we all know that its not that simple.....there's a whole process before you can actually try the approach...and another whole process that you have to follow during( you have to show that you're funny, intelligent, have some financial security, gotta be tall and fit and this and that and don't do this ...oh...don't do that either...compliment here...never there... be kind but not too much...push and pull.....that's too much manipulation for my taste, ... and it's all a waste of energy with no positive feedback.....so I'm kinda quitting...for the first time in like 7 years ...

I don't know if you guys understand me ...but is it much of a difference if you approach or not?

I mean...yeah we can call this a " number's game" but...on my particular case..the odds are against me anyway...I feel like I should focus my time and energy on something that matters more than hearing .." Oh....sorry...but you're not my type"...
You have to give us more to work with here. How exactly are you approaching these hundreds of women? Do you walk right up to them and ask them out? Do you stare and stalk around them for a while without a smile on your face before finally approaching them? Are you starting out with compliments that will often put their guard up? Where do you meet them and approach them? Tell us what approaches you've used, some examples, so we can help to offer you some suggestions where you're going wrong.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:13 AM

61 posts, read 134,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
The above is exactly what i wanted to post.

Let me ask you this. Do you actually like women? I mean for something other than sex or a romantic relationship.

Do you have any female friends? By this I mean women you know well, enjoy talking to and spending time with without wanting to get into bed with?

If the answer is no, I would say I think this is your problem. You need to cultivate such friendships in order to be more comfortable and "real" around the opposite sex. From there you can widen your circle of women acquaintences and increase your chances of finding one that you click with as more than a friend.

And please stop talking about GAME! What a freaking idiotic concept and a complete turnoff.

Yes I have a lot of female friends....and no I don't just go around trying to score....but if I see someone that I like and want to have a good conversation then yes...I used to approach....but not like a sex maniac or something....regular " Hey how are you doing my name is ...." no pick up lines ....

Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 AM

61 posts, read 134,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah I soooo don't get why people do this. I had already seen his picture, and I think his looks just fine. But the picture - of him taking a picture...that's a bit creepy.

hahah...well I just recently moved so I don't know a lot of people...most my friends are in Florida and my original country.....as creepy as it makes to be....the mirror was pretty useful....and I rarely smile on pictures....out of pics yes...but not at pics....I don't know...

Old 11-18-2011, 09:26 AM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I didn't realize you had a profile pic up and, true, there's nothing wrong with your look. BUT, I must confess that I find it a little creepily desperate when someone takes a photo of themselves in a mirror to use as a profile pic. Don't you have a friend who can take a nice natural pic of you with a smile on your face?
"I find it a little creepily desperate when someone takes a photo of themselves in a mirror to use as a profile pic."
1/2 the people on internet dating sites have the same self mirror pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships