Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 12:21 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
This is comparing two extremes and likely neither extreme would work.

As an accountant, I've been in a good position to see the types of guys who marry into wealthy families with mostly or only daughters. They didn't "choose" to marry such a woman, they were chosen. These guys are not unlike a trophy wife although, their lifestyle is often very different and their behavior is often that of someone who is maturing very slowly. Their father in law often had difficulty keeping them constructively employed and out of trouble. Letting them go out of town on business, is asking for trouble.

At the other extreme, guys who marry women who earn 1/4 to 1/5 what they do, often find money is an issue. For her, it's like she's won the lottery and we all know what such winners tend to do. In contrast, such men want to build their family's wealth and success and chafe at her profligate ways. Many of the divorced guys who I know, have a similar story. As hard as they tried to build wealth and pay down debt, she would stick him with a massive surprise debt every year or so.

If she doesn't work at all, at least he has the ability to put her on an allowance but having an income, no matter how meager, is a license to spend.

They may find finding her difficult, but successful men who are intelligent want a successful wife, not a father in law who is successful. They leave such women for the boy toys.
i have a feeling that this is rich with rich non distinguished inbreeding...like people who are born into money and have not accomplished much and never will....a rich dude trying to make sure his 2nd daughter is well taken care of.

by the way, how were these men chosen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 PM

836 posts, read 1,778,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
At the other extreme, guys who marry women who earn 1/4 to 1/5 what they do, often find money is an issue. For her, it's like she's won the lottery and we all know what such winners tend to do. In contrast, such men want to build their family's wealth and success and chafe at her profligate ways. Many of the divorced guys who I know, have a similar story. As hard as they tried to build wealth and pay down debt, she would stick him with a massive surprise debt every year or so.
I'd think that at least SOME women from humble backgrounds would actually be just the opposite - know the value of a dollar and be very used to saving, planning the budget and being frugal
On the other side, maybe since this observation coming about divorced guys, perhaps, because there was a divorce, a procentage of such "misfits" is higher

Old 12-15-2011, 12:44 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,524 times
If you have to ask if someone is out of your league, they probably are. That type of insecurity is a huge turnoff, man or woman.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:52 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburglarchick12 View Post
There is this guy I like. I've known him for a long time about 6 years, I've always had a crush on him and supposedly according to him he has a crush on me too. However, we only hang out maybe like 3 times a year.

I have the feeling that the reason he would never seriously date me is because I'm not as successful as him.

He makes $120,000 a year, he's a software engineer and graduated from NJIT. He is 27 years old, and attractive.

I make about a 5th of his salary, I graduated from a mediocre college with a business degree. I'm 24 years old, and attractive.

He says that I don't accept that he likes me. I don't believe him in that he never makes an effort to see me, I always have to make the effort. He said he doesn't like himself. I feel like he is giving me the whole "It's not you, it's me" excuse.

I personally think he would prefer to date an average looking girl who is smart and successful. Whereas, I consider myself with to be above average looks, average intelligence, and have mediocre success.

What does everyone think?

1)Is it possible he would date me even though I'm less successful and intelligent?
2)Do you think he was just being nice and letting me down?
3)Wouldn't he be bored of me in the long term?

Any advice/comments/related stories welcome.

a few people have advised me when they act like that, they aren't seriously interested, but maybe that's not the case with him. I hope it works out for you though.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:03 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
First off 120K isn't all that much. Today people can go from anything to $0.00 real quick due to layoffs or whatever. Don't sell yourself short due to a dollar/income value. Sometimes when we put people on a pedestal when we get to know them it's not always as it seems.

Just see where it takes you... you don't want to be with someone else later and wonder what could have been.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:38 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Having a high-end job, if this is how girls think about me, I'll never find a woman

A woman's income is the last on my mind.

If she has the assets, I'll be her purse boy

Other Chamataka responsibilities may include:
Coffee making
Laundry
Shoe carrying
Cooking

Old 12-15-2011, 09:22 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
There is no league system. It is a myth. Three times a year? What do you do when you meet him? 6 years of crush? What are you waiting for?

Instead of speculating this and that. Why not be up front and get it over with? Do you want to wait 6 more years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburglarchick12 View Post
There is this guy I like. I've known him for a long time about 6 years, I've always had a crush on him and supposedly according to him he has a crush on me too. However, we only hang out maybe like 3 times a year.

I have the feeling that the reason he would never seriously date me is because I'm not as successful as him.

He makes $120,000 a year, he's a software engineer and graduated from NJIT. He is 27 years old, and attractive.

I make about a 5th of his salary, I graduated from a mediocre college with a business degree. I'm 24 years old, and attractive.

He says that I don't accept that he likes me. I don't believe him in that he never makes an effort to see me, I always have to make the effort. He said he doesn't like himself. I feel like he is giving me the whole "It's not you, it's me" excuse.

I personally think he would prefer to date an average looking girl who is smart and successful. Whereas, I consider myself with to be above average looks, average intelligence, and have mediocre success.

What does everyone think?

1)Is it possible he would date me even though I'm less successful and intelligent?
2)Do you think he was just being nice and letting me down?
3)Wouldn't he be bored of me in the long term?

Any advice/comments/related stories welcome.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:47 PM

461 posts, read 782,564 times
OP QUOTE: "He says that I don't accept that he likes me. I don't believe him in that he never makes an effort to see me, I always have to make the effort. He said he doesn't like himself."

I agree with what most have posted that a guy doesn't care much about your career level.
This guy has issues period. Do not contact him and put effort into meeting other men. It's not your job to 'fix' him. Believe me, once he finds someone to knock his socks off, he'll be fixed pronto.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:39 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
No offense, but your buddy is has his priorities out of whack.

IMHO, of course.
why? may i ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships