Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:19 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times

Advertisements

Silly. You can't legislate fidelity in a free society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 04:34 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Sounds pretty stupid to me for several reasons; I'm not a big fan of suing at all. Some people don't know someone is married (many married people out there have had years upon years of practice honing their cheating skills for some reason that I'll never understand). And of course, a scorned spouse, for lack of better words, would do well to spend extra energy moving on in their own life and healing themselves than giving the cheater more satisfaction in spending that energy on them by going after the person they cheated with.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:07 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
Sounds pretty silly to me, was this idea concocted by a a bunch of scorned spouses wallowing in their sorrows?

What's next? Are we going to sue people because they look at our spouses and check them out? How about we sue the parents of men and women who grow up to become cheaters?

Just what America needs, more ridiculous laws.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 AM

24 posts, read 41,143 times
cheating is normal, I think people need to man up and accept that people can and will be ****ty.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessishot View Post
cheating is normal, I think people need to man up and accept that people can and will be ****ty.
Pretty much. I think people should just come up with a contingency plan beforehand regarding how they'll cope if their partner cheats since it's so likely to happen.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Why sue the other person? It's your spouse who cheated on you.

Did the other person take vows to honor and cherish you? I don't think so.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
The State of North Carolina allows a married person to SUE the person with whom his or her spouse had an affair.

What is your opinion on this law? Thank you,
This "Alienation of Affection" law is antiquated and needs to be struck from the books. (it dates back to the 1800's).

As tempting as it must be to want to strike out at the other party when a heart has been broken, wronged spouses need to focus on themselves and their spouse, not a third party.

NOBODY can "steal" a person who is in a good marriage.

And if they aren't in a good marriage that's on the two spouses, not anybody else.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,012,284 times
You are looking to recover damages in these suits. The costs to the non cheating spouse can be substantial in a divorce and it is these losses that are recovered. I say more power to the them. Let the cheaters be responsible for their actions. My guess is going in some will think twice before being willing to cough up the ching to cover the real damages to the person who is being victimized.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
Interestingly, a woman in NC was about to be sued...by another woman whose husband she was sleeping with.

Said woman went "crazy." Shot the man she was sleeping with. Then killed her son, shot his girlfriend...shot her other son in the head. And someone else, can't remember all of the details.

Then she killed herself.
There was apparently more to it than that.

This woman was a real mental case who stalked the wife of her ex-lover.

Motive of woman unclear in slayings : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis (http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/11/22/article/motive_of_woman_unclear_in_slayings - broken link)

Old 11-22-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
You are looking to recover damages in these suits. The costs to the non cheating spouse can be substantial in a divorce and it is these losses that are recovered. I say more power to the them. Let the cheaters be responsible for their actions. My guess is going in some will think twice before being willing to cough up the ching to cover the real damages to the person who is being victimized.
So you believe in perpetuating and promoting the victim mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships