Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:14 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Whats the difference. A divorce is likely imminent regardless. The kids are going to know, and they will know the same information one way or another, except when they get older maybe and they have a couple extra bucks from the deal, im sure that will clear up any sadness. I'd rather be sad and have money than sad and have less money, or be sad at someone elses expense while they pay no consequence.
The difference between two parents involved in a bitter and public lawsuit, as opposed to two parents who divorce quickly and quietly?

You must have no experience with divorce whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 03:48 PM

44,351 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
A cheating law and suing someone is different. One could sue for emotional distress or something, but making it a law to not cheat is ridiculous.
True. Suing the person with whom your spouse had an affair could be on grounds of intentional infliction of emotional distress, not because a law was broken. However, it would be extremely difficult for the plaintiff to prevail in such a lawsuit. Too many variables would make it a mighty complicated case. Unless the defendant is loaded with money, it would be pointless to sue anyway, as there would be little or nothing for the plaintiff to win. In many civil lawsuits, the defendant has some type of insurance which would pay out in the event that plaintiff prevails. But I doubt anyone has an insurance policy which covers his or her liability for infidelity!

I'm a paralegal, btw.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:29 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
True. Suing the person with whom your spouse had an affair could be on grounds of intentional infliction of emotional distress, not because a law was broken. However, it would be extremely difficult for the plaintiff to prevail in such a lawsuit. Too many variables would make it a mighty complicated case. Unless the defendant is loaded with money, it would be pointless to sue anyway, as there would be little or nothing for the plaintiff to win. In many civil lawsuits, the defendant has some type of insurance which would pay out in the event that plaintiff prevails. But I doubt anyone has an insurance policy which covers his or her liability for infidelity!

I'm a paralegal, btw.
Very informative and I agree!

Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
The difference between two parents involved in a bitter and public lawsuit, as opposed to two parents who divorce quickly and quietly?

You must have no experience with divorce whatsoever.
Thank you

A lawsuit like that elevates the acrimony of a divorce to the nastiest levels possible.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:58 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

A lawsuit like that elevates the acrimony of a divorce to the nastiest levels possible.
As if a divorce proceeding in itself is not emotionally and financially draining already.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
Interestingly, a woman in NC was about to be sued...by another woman whose husband she was sleeping with.

Said woman went "crazy." Shot the man she was sleeping with. Then killed her son, shot his girlfriend...shot her other son in the head. And someone else, can't remember all of the details.

Then she killed herself.
Such a terrible tragedy. I saw it on the "True Crime," forum here. I wonder if the fact that she was being sued by his spouse pushed her to the edge. IT IS A DUMB, DUMB, LAW....................

Old 11-22-2011, 10:40 PM

479 posts, read 835,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Such a terrible tragedy. I saw it on the "True Crime," forum here. I wonder if the fact that she was being sued by his spouse pushed her to the edge. IT IS A DUMB, DUMB, LAW....................
Read another article that said it didn't appear any action had been taken legally; even though it was mentioned in the initial reports.

The whole scenario just seems so "crazy." The "adults" well they all made their own choices. The kids? oh, my gosh.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:28 PM

10 posts, read 14,131 times
yeah that sound a great law to apply....at least it will decrease the rate of cheating wife and husband in the country....finally they start thinking big....

Old 11-23-2011, 06:14 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belaid_198805 View Post
yeah that sound a great law to apply....at least it will decrease the rate of cheating wife and husband in the country....finally they start thinking big....
The law has been around since the 1860's - doesn't seem to have curbed much cheating yet

Old 11-23-2011, 06:23 AM

479 posts, read 835,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The law has been around since the 1860's - doesn't seem to have curbed much cheating yet
Absolutely, NC has one of the highest divorse rates in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships