Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:34 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times

Advertisements

I know this has probably been discussed over and over on this forum. Is there any sort of work-around if your partner (bf/gf) is clingy? It seems like this would be a sensitive topic to bring up for conversation. Anyone have an effective approach for dealing with what is most often a very unwelcome relationship feature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 09:40 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
That's a tough one. It helps if they have some sort of healthy social life outside of the relationship and some interests to keep them involved in other activities. Clingy people are often insecure and it can be suffocating. Try to have a talk with him/her and see if you can reach some sort of resolution or compromise.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:52 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
That's a tough one. It helps if they have some sort of healthy social life outside of the relationship and some interests to keep them involved in other activities. Clingy people are often insecure and it can be suffocating. Try to have a talk with him/her and see if you can reach some sort of resolution or compromise.
It can erode the relationship, Esp in the beginning. The individuals should have their own interests, And friends. The relationship should enhance the overall lives of the couple, both together and in their individual pursuits. Because being in a healthy relationship does just this. That energy and zest for life. One should hopefully feel this anyway, But people are meant to be together, I think.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:04 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
What kind of clinginess are we talking about, here? Is this constant checking in (by text or phone) and general mistrust and insecurity, or is it that the two people just aren't compatible in their displays of affection (e.g., she wants a hug and kiss whenever the two of them arrive and leave, and he's not touchy-feely.)

Old 11-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What kind of clinginess are we talking about, here? Is this constant checking in (by text or phone) and general mistrust and insecurity, or is it that the two people just aren't compatible in their displays of affection (e.g., she wants a hug and kiss whenever the two of them arrive and leave, and he's not touchy-feely.)
The general mistrust and insecurity and always asking if "we are alright". Sometimes it will come out of nowhere. We will be having a normal conversation and she'll ask "are we alright?" It annoys me to have to assure her this every other day. I would understand her curiosity if our relationship was on the rocks, but it isn't.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
I have someone in my life (not spouse) who constantly asks if I'm "Okay" or "is everything all right?" to the point of being annoying. I finally told her to stop asking me that and if I wasn't all right, I'd let her know! I actually think it became a bad conversational habit on her part. (Look at me being so caring... bleh!)

Old 11-10-2011, 11:37 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
The only effective way to deal with it is to be 100% honest.

That doesn't mean confrontational, you should be sympathetic to your partner's wants and needs, as they should in return.

If you have an over-clingy partner and it annoys you, then you have to set some boundaries. If not, the relationship is surely doomed, as resentment from you starts to build, and they see your withdrawal from physical contact as "falling out of love".

If we can explain to the other person how we feel, this can be avoided. Although it may involve some compromise !

Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I have someone in my life (not spouse) who constantly asks if I'm "Okay" or "is everything all right?" to the point of being annoying. I finally told her to stop asking me that and if I wasn't all right, I'd let her know! I actually think it became a bad conversational habit on her part. (Look at me being so caring... bleh!)
That IS annoying!

I told somebody in a store last night "didn't you just ask me a few minutes ago?" and she said "oh, just checking"! Leave me the hell alone! It was in DSW. Heck, I can’t cover one row of shoes between 2 questions in a row! Of course, it happens quite often in other places, too.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Sounds exactly like my gf.

But in her case, I think the constant inquiries are a result of her being insecure. I feel like from the beginning she has been trying too hard to make this relationship work out. I think a lot of the blame goes to the "let's get married and pop out kids before 30" philosophy. Is this a common desire among women? Is there a fear that evolves in your mid-20s of not being settled down with a loving husband and children by the ripe old age of 30?

Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
Quote:

Al Bundy Talking About Women - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships