Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 11:36 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times

Advertisements

Agree. It's happened to me on many occasions.

Gettin' tired of getting sh*t on by people too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 11:53 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
I think this quote is referring to my job. I'm a hard worker and dedicated, and I keep getting all of the responsibilities and extra work but I don't get paid one cent more than the sloths who just have to sit in a chair and watch this or that.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:31 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I think this quote is referring to my job. I'm a hard worker and dedicated, and I keep getting all of the responsibilities and extra work but I don't get paid one cent more than the sloths who just have to sit in a chair and watch this or that.
Same here. Sometimes it seems as though initiative and enthusiasm for one's line of work is rewarded with nothing more than more work and responsibility.

I had this experience at my current worksite. Because I was newly transferred here, I took it upon myself to carry out many tasks simply so I could understand how procedures and standard operating practices are conducted at this site. After several months I noticed that the manager and another fellow supervisor habitually "passed the buck" in my direction. This continued until I spoke up.

One day, the manager and I were speaking about a certain task that needed to be carried out. Before he assigned me with the task, I reminded him that I was currently working on several projects and that this one could be better carried out by one of the other shift supervisors. Around that same time, a fellow supervisor left me a note requesting that I place an order for him. I went to him personally and informed him that given our equal status he could make the purchase himself. He then admitted that he did not know how to place the order. I called the manager and informed him that my cohort needed training. End of story!

Sadly, I still find it hard to be less than giving, especially when it comes to significant others.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:47 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
I think it depends. With some people, the more you give, the more they take, with no regard to giving back. That speaks of their character, not yours. With others, if you are giving, with a hidden motive or expectation, you will almost always be disappointed, because that speaks to your character.

I used to be a giver and got taken advantage of. Now I don't give as much, but I also know of myself that, in the past, it may have been a way to gain acceptance/approval. Now, if I do something nice for someone, it's because I wanted to, and for no other reason.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:48 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
This has been my experience too. I'm a giver and I don't expect anything in return other than for the other person to be happy with what I gave. I haven't even been getting that so that's why I quit on dating.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I suppose if you give expecting to get back, then it will work that way for you.

Give for the sake of giving, and it's a different story.
Absolutely Yzette...and it's more satisfying as well.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:32 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
This has been my experience too. I'm a giver and I don't expect anything in return other than for the other person to be happy with what I gave. I haven't even been getting that so that's why I quit on dating.
right there with you.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:31 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Yes.... personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships