Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:34 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I had many a conversation with my mom that ended in her telling me she was not here to be liked or make me happy My most enduring memory of childhood was being sent outside to play until meal times.

I don't see what's so wrong with men being self-suffcienct.... I've done most of the housework and cooking in both marriages, didn't bother me a bit.
And ending our summer days by going home when the street lights came on.

Yazette, your cartoon is spot-on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 11:36 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
If one day I am half the woman my grandmother was, it would mean the world to me....

Old 11-28-2011, 11:37 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That's what I remember, I was told to "Have my butt home by the time the street lights come on"

Old 11-28-2011, 02:00 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Yazette, your cartoon is spot-on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That's what I remember, I was told to "Have my butt home by the time the street lights come on"

We would play 'Hide & go Seek', when it got dark out...

Old 11-28-2011, 02:20 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
I hear it all the time- "i am almost never going to cook" "i am not a slave to my husband" "i am above daily chores" "i am making something of my life unlike my mom"... from watching videos on the internet, to seeing friends who are married, watching tv, and talking with acquaintances...
Seriously don't even know what you're talking about. Unlike my grandmother, whonever made it out of the projects and my mother who only had a high school diploma, had a baby at 18 and never did more professionally than answer phones and greet visitors, I am a college and graduate school graduate who also cooks, cleans and pays the bills.

Quote:
Some of today's women are simply not marriage material. [/quote
And not only did someone marry me but he's happy to prepare dinner for me often and is treating me to a foot massage later.

Quote:
Instead of looking up to their mothers , who were able to raise them well, spend much time with them, cook for them, and live on their dad's income, these women think they are above their moms b.c they have jobs or careers.
Such assumptions. My mother worked a full-time job, was inattentive, emotionaly detached, encouraged me to lie and steal and NOT to go to college. I learned young not to look up to her.

Quote:
It's like women are missing out on the point of life. They are acting like stupid men who only care about their job, who are born, work, and die.
And who are you to say what the point of life is for someone else? Maybe you are so unenlightened that you fail to realize that a woman can have a career and still be a great mother and homemaker.

Quote:
Women had it good in the 1940s and later. They made their families happy and made them their priority. Making a boss or coworker or customer happy, is no where near as rewarding, and I believe this is the ultimate reason for women's rising unhappiness.
I can't speak for women in the '40s but perhaps women want more than to live to serve others. Perhaps, some women are interested in their own satisfaction. And I don't see anything wrong with that.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:35 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
We would play 'Hide & go Seek', when it got dark out...
And here I thought you'd play hide the pickle with all the girls.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:44 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Let's keep it PG-13, kids.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships