Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:46 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,143,859 times

Advertisements

Kids should come first because they can't fend for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,870,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I'm all for learning experiences as long as it doesn't involve kids!!
Then take care of your spouse and make time for them and your chances of success are increased. You pander to your childs every want and whim you're asking for trouble not only with the child but with your marriage. You can meet their needs of the child without pandering to their each want and whim.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:41 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,787,948 times
In general, the article has some great points. But relationships aren't "one size fits all". People are different...situations are different. My Grandparents have been married for 60 years, and they are very much the type who put their kids first (they also raised me). I don't think their marriage suffered at all because of it. However with both of them, their greatest joy came from being parents and grandparents; not necessarily the marriage and the relationship between them. But their marriage works because they are the protypical "parenting team". I don't think this could work in a situation where the husband is a financial provider first and foremost...and then shares parenting as a part-time thing (my Grandfather wasn't like this...for him, his job was just a means to get some money to make his wife and children happy).

Parenting today seems very "task" oriented....and much less nurturing than it was years ago. Kids today can be very demanding in regards to time, material wants and attention. Years ago, it was good enough to just feed and clothe your kids....with some presents for the birthday and holidays. So I think what the article is trying to stress is that you shouldn't lose sight of maintaining your marital relationship in trying to raise your kids. Ideally, everything should function as a harmoniuous unit; with the love for your husband being different than the love for your kids. And no one should feel slighted or compromised in the love area (husband or children) to the benefit of the other.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:48 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,677,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Then take care of your spouse and make time for them and your chances of success are increased. You pander to your childs every want and whim you're asking for trouble not only with the child but with your marriage. You can meet their needs of the child without pandering to their each want and whim.
My "kids" are older(17&24),I wouldn't pander to anyones needs at this point.The 24 year old is in his 3rd year of law school,he'll take the bar in the spring and he wants to move out with a friend.My 17 will be off to college Fall 12,so we will be empty nesters...should be interesting!As long as everyone is happy and healthy nothing about my future worries me...

Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,584,759 times
This is a tough subject for me. I would say the children I'm not stating that you have to spoil them but they need thier parent's & more like always will to some extent. My mom pushed me away when I was a child & it's something I'll never get over. Talking to someone about it doesn't work so don't go there. A parent's love is supposed to unconditional even more so then your spouses. In my opnion you choose your children before you choose your spouse.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:04 PM

So the vows you chose to take with your spouse "forsaking all others" doesn't apply? As I said earlier parenting is a team endeavor. So once you've provided your child's need for shelter, food, clothing, and nurturing I get the impression that some of you think that isn't enough.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:09 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,584,759 times
Quote:
So the vows you chose to take with your spouse "forsaking all others" doesn't apply? As I said earlier parenting is a team endeavor. So once you've provided your child's need for shelter, food, clothing, and nurturing I get the impression that some of you think that isn't enough.

Does that mean forsaking your children? Sorry daddy/mom & I want to go out & we can't afford time to play/help you with your homework,etc. Great parenting!

Old 11-28-2011, 12:10 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,677,016 times
Quote:
If you read the above post and really see the damage that is done when a childs emotional needs are not met,I think you would better understand where I am coming from. As far as "forsaking all others" I never thought that applied to your own children?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
If you read the above post and really see the damage that is done when a childs emotional needs are not met,I think you would better understand where I am coming from. As far as "forsaking all others" I never thought that applied to your own children?
Do you take a wedding vow to your child?

There are some to clearly take child raising beyond something unhealthy.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:25 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,591,060 times
I'd say wife first,
Because kids will always make it high on the priority list no matter what, but if the marriage starts taking too many beatings without enough good stuff happening it will break, and the kids will be worse off too. Besides I believe a lot of kids today got too much attention from home to see the rest of the world objectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships