Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:32 PM

541 posts, read 942,340 times

Advertisements

what was the last straw that made you say " I had enough" and decide to do something about it to make things better??? What did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 10:47 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,211,694 times
When I started having more ****ty days than happy (or at least, neutral) days.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:49 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,983,611 times
Everyone has different breaking points but you know when you are unhappy and that's when you need to start thinking of ways to change your situation. Then proceed to act on the steps it takes to move forward, whether its breaking up, moving, changing jobs, etc. Remember you can only change YOU not someone else.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 PM

541 posts, read 942,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Everyone has different breaking points but you know when you are unhappy and that's when you need to start thinking of ways to change your situation. Then proceed to act on the steps it takes to move forward, whether its breaking up, moving, changing jobs, etc. Remember you can only change YOU not someone else.

Well Duh! People handle things differently and thats why I was asking.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:02 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,420,575 times
I'm actually at my breaking point right now. I'm calling it a quarter life crisis .

I haven't quite figured out what to do yet. I just need to be selfish right now and make myself happy. I'll figure it out from there.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:13 PM

494 posts, read 1,611,768 times
As someone who has experienced a life crisis and is still recovering from one, all I can say is, you got to take baby steps to get back to where you were. Take too big of of leap or think irrationally and you are setting yourself up for more failure. I thought I could climb back up the ladder myself w/o much guidance or planning, but I just ended up falling on my ass. Take things slowly and figure out what steps are needed to get you where you want to go and act on them. As far as what that last straw was, I'll keep that private

Old 12-07-2011, 11:32 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,983,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
Well Duh! People handle things differently and thats why I was asking.
Recognizing what part you played in the down fall is a good start to recovery.

Last edited by Shysister; 12-08-2011 at 12:04 AM..

Old 12-08-2011, 07:07 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,030,264 times
Quote:
what was the last straw that made you say " I had enough" and decide to do something about it to make things better??? What did you do?
When I say that^

What I did was everything I'd have done as a couple, but by myself. Carry on carrying on....

Old 12-08-2011, 07:36 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,021,677 times
The most profound "had enough" for me was when my ex-wife was going off on me for the umpty-umpth time and rather than stewing and fuming, I was shocked at the utter needlessness of her venom and rage, and thought in a curiously detached-and-clear manner "NO ONE should have to live this way."

At that instant the decision had been made and it was as though a tremendous weight slipped from my shoulders. I KNEW it was merely a matter of time, despite that it took a few more antics from her to make me actually MOVE.

When that final straw that made me MOVE came, I was elsewhere on a camping trip and learned of a key behind-my-back action of hers which told me everything I needed to hear. I drove straight home and when she greeted me at the door, told her "Sit down. We need to talk."

I had a room by that evening, was out of the house in two weeks. Filed for divorce within a month.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:53 AM

406 posts, read 771,766 times
Quote:
I know this is going to sound like a stupid "I had enough" moment, but for me, it was the moment.

I had been unhappy for a few years. I had been thinking divorce for a few years, but I just honestly didn't want to hurt him or our family or our extended families that much..... I tried talking to him and telling him I was unhappy. He told me that he had more important people in his life and more important problems in his life, and I just needed to get happy.

I got my hair cut. He hates short hair, and I knew this, but I got my hair cut anyway. When I got home, he took one look at me and literally turned his back on me. He didn't speak to me for three days. Finally he spoke to me only to ask if I wanted sex.

I asked for a divorce instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships