Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:04 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
So your life is in your cell phone? Really?

Yes...if they are texting, then it IS frivolous. If there was something SO important, that you have to impose upon an evening with someone to attend to it, then for crying out loud, make your apologies and excuse yourself to a private area.

Really...how do people not learn this?? WTF?
The thing that amazes me is that every time we have this discussion, there are people that still just can't get it.

It floors me, you say point blank and many different ways.... and there is always still holdout who merely just blow you off as being "old" or something along those lines.

Man... I swear........at what point did people become so completely and utterly RUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 09:04 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
So your life is in your cell phone? Really?

Yes...if they are texting, then it IS frivolous. If there was something SO important, that you have to impose upon an evening with someone to attend to it, then for crying out loud, make your apologies and excuse yourself to a private area.

Really...how do people not learn this?? WTF?
You may want to be careful, it's a long fall off that high horse you're riding

What kind of dates are you going on that a person can't turn their attention away from you for 3 seconds to read a text? If you think you're so special that your date's world should revolve around you then, well, I'm just glad I'm not your date.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:10 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
What is your opinion on it? I personally hate it because it makes me believe that the person really isn't into the date and would rather be hanging out with the person they are texting. For me, it happened with two different girls. They were texting pretty much the whole time. They told me that I could if I wanted to, but I find it a bit disrespectful. When your on a date, I believe you should give your attention towards the people you are actually with and not some person behind a phone. Am I all alone on this or are there others who agree with me?
DEATH PENALTY!

Seriously though it's very poor manners.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:11 PM

I really would like to take an age survey of this group to know if it's just a generational thing or a bunch of uptight folks coming around to agree with one another. Come on, you're not bringing Miss Manners with you on the date, right?

Or maybe we're just imagining different scenarios. Me, I leave my cell phone on vibrate all the time and on a date it's in my purse, next to my seat. I usually don't hear it if it buzzes, but if I do notice it then I will check it. If it's a text, I can usually wait until a better time to answer if it requires an answer. If it's a call, it's probably from my parents and I'll apologize and say I need to get it because if they're calling me it's for a reason, not a chat.

Other than using it to keep up with the hour every once in awhile, that's it. If the date's good enough, I won't have any interest in my phone anyway.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:12 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
You may want to be careful, it's a long fall off that high horse you're riding

What kind of dates are you going on that a person can't turn their attention away from you for 3 seconds to read a text? If you think you're so special that your date's world should revolve around you then, well, I'm just glad I'm not your date.
ChessieMom probably just goes out on grown-up dates. That's all.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
ChessieMom probably just goes out on grown-up dates. That's all.
Ah, I just go on the fun kind. Different strokes for different folks, huh

Old 11-28-2011, 09:20 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Other than using it to keep up with the hour every once in awhile, that's it. If the date's good enough, I won't have any interest in my phone anyway.

If the date is going so poorly that you are more interested in your phone, you should thank your date, say farewell, and be on your way.

If you must take a quick call or a text while out with another person, simply excuse yourself for a few moments. No rational person will mind. When you are excused from the table you may do whatever you wish with your time. Pee. Blow your nose. Fart. Scratch your butt. Text. Post on FB. No one will care, really.

Don't keep people hanging. On dates. Out with friends. In business. It's RUDE. That is the point.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:20 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
I really would like to take an age survey of this group to know if it's just a generational thing or a bunch of uptight folks coming around to agree with one another. Come on, you're not bringing Miss Manners with you on the date, right?

Or maybe we're just imagining different scenarios. Me, I leave my cell phone on vibrate all the time and on a date it's in my purse, next to my seat. I usually don't hear it if it buzzes, but if I do notice it then I will check it. If it's a text, I can usually wait until a better time to answer if it requires an answer. If it's a call, it's probably from my parents and I'll apologize and say I need to get it because if they're calling me it's for a reason, not a chat.

Well, if by asking about the generational thing, you are implying that people who object are "old".... IDK, I'm 42, I've been involved with technology for yrs and yrs, so in my case it's not a matter of being an old codger who doesn't get this "technology" crap and fusses and complains about the "damned younger generation."

You're last line is the epitome of what I consider to be rude. As long as someone is entertaining to you, you'll be pleasant and not check your phone.

That line just screams princess to me.... and I can't believe men will put up with less then polite behavior.

IDK.....

Old 11-28-2011, 09:22 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times

Old 11-28-2011, 09:22 PM

267 posts, read 175,665 times
Quote:
It's no different than someone getting up to go speak to someone else...or go make a phone call. They have left your company, mentally,....so they might as well leave physically. I'd say that to anyone that I was on a date with, that was so ignorant as to text someone in my presence, unless there was an emergency or special circumstance.
Even an emergency, like what? If somone is in the hospital, you being there will not change anything for THAT person. I thought cell phones have, vibrators instead of rings, and then you can 'read' who is calling. I think spending two hours off the phone is NO BIG DEAL, if you are a normal person. (voice mail, yes?) If one 'needs' constant adulation by phone calls, they have a serious problem. We all lived and survived nicely without the cell phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships