Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:22 PM

143 posts, read 192,844 times

Advertisements

I can't think of a faster way to let your date know you are a self-involved, insensitive person. If I'm on a date with someone and I'm interested in them, and want them to continue being interested in me, the last thing I would do was whip out my cell phone, for any reason. I won't even take it out of my purse and glance at it to check the time, for fear of looking like I'm expecting someone else to call/text me.

There isn't ANY reason to check your phone during a date. You can go a couple of hours without checking if you've gotten a text or call. Seriously, what are the odds that some huge emergency is going to happen during your date?

It appalls me to think there are people who actually carry on entire text conversations while on a date. That sounds like immaturity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 05:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
They just want to remind you that you are not that important. You play second fiddle to them and their group of friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
What is your opinion on it? I personally hate it because it makes me believe that the person really isn't into the date and would rather be hanging out with the person they are texting. For me, it happened with two different girls. They were texting pretty much the whole time. They told me that I could if I wanted to, but I find it a bit disrespectful. When your on a date, I believe you should give your attention towards the people you are actually with and not some person behind a phone. Am I all alone on this or are there others who agree with me?

Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Personal experience?
Unlike you, no. It just seems to be the "norm" today. It could always be a man doing the tweeting.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 AM

733 posts, read 1,756,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Unlike you, no. It just seems to be the "norm" today. It could always be a man doing the tweeting.
Haha, it could be a personal experience for me, who knows. I don't know what them two girls were texting. For all I know, they could have very well been talking about me in their texts.

That is another thing about someone texting on a date. In the back on your mind, you could be wondering whether they are talking about you, and whether it is good or bad. Though then again, if they are texting, it obviously means they aren't interested in you, which means that you shouldn't care whether or not they are talking about you.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:41 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
What is your opinion on it? I personally hate it because it makes me believe that the person really isn't into the date and would rather be hanging out with the person they are texting. For me, it happened with two different girls. They were texting pretty much the whole time. They told me that I could if I wanted to, but I find it a bit disrespectful. When your on a date, I believe you should give your attention towards the people you are actually with and not some person behind a phone. Am I all alone on this or are there others who agree with me?
IMO, It a non verbal show of disinterest in the person they're with and very telling about how they communicate, even in the age of technology.

I would excuse myself and leave.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:45 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Whoah, rude. I've had people try to get away with that when they're with me (I'm blind) and I can always tell cause their responses are delayed and unfocused. I can understand picking up the phone briefly to check when the bus comes or to get directions on how to get to the next place, etc. but texting the whole time is just plain old rude IMO.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:04 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Whoah, rude. I've had people try to get away with that when they're with me (I'm blind) and I can always tell cause their responses are delayed and unfocused. I can understand picking up the phone briefly to check when the bus comes or to get directions on how to get to the next place, etc. but texting the whole time is just plain old rude IMO.
How do you keep up in forums? Do you have something that reads text for you? Do you just type really accurately or does something or someone help you out?

Old 12-01-2011, 03:38 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
How do you keep up in forums? Do you have something that reads text for you? Do you just type really accurately or does something or someone help you out?
I dont know if its what he uses but Microsoft does have a feature that can read text for the blind. Located in Start Menu - Accessories - Ease of Access - Narrator.

Its not the best feature though, kind of buggy.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:30 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Not everyone puts their life on hold for a simple date.

You don't know that the person is texting something frivolous. Maybe they were waiting to hear that their friend made it home safely or their roommate is letting them know that they left the light on in their car. There are plenty of valid, non-emergency circumstances that warrant filling an awkward silence with a quick text.

I think anyone who gets bent out of shape from a "Sorry, let me just check this real quick" is too uptight to enjoy themselves on a date, anyway.
I think the person is too busy to be on a date. And, the awkward silence mentioned, excuse. Either be in the moment, or don't. But don't inflict rudeness, and make excuses. turn the phone off. My son told me there are even ppl texting during lectures in college. I find this beyond rude.
And, yes I am over 35. Rude is rude, age is not a factor. Treat ppl they way you want to be treated.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:43 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
I have never been with someone, whether it was a date or a social outing, where someone has picked up their phone for one simple text, then left it alone the rest of the time. If that was the case, I could care less. But usually it's a case where the person is texting every other 30 seconds.
You need to raise your standards then. We teach ppl how to treat us. I think that texting every 30 seconds is beyond rude. I feel for you, but I think it may be time to find another source of friends. Look for ppl like you, not for ppl you like. You are just at a level of maturity that your peers are not. I bet you are that young man that opens the door also. You are in the right here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships