Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 AM

7,824 posts, read 11,714,264 times

Advertisements

Have any of you married someone that you were not in love with? For the sole purpose of "settling down" due to whatever pressures - age, companionship, having children etc. How did that turn out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:21 PM

12,099 posts, read 16,984,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Have any of you married someone that you were not in love with? For the sole purpose of "settling down" due to whatever pressures - age, companionship, having children etc. How did that turn out?
Pffffttt...

Define love.

I've never been married but know a lot of married couples and no matter how you define it, the answer is yes.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:40 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,563,026 times
I know someone who did and she doesnt even have or want kids nor was she old. She did it because she was tired of chasing players and wanted to settle down. She's not in love with her husband but she's happier because hes giving her that settled-ness and companionship that she wants. Her rationale is that she would have never gotten that player anyway so she's not missing anything. I think she's right.

Last edited by srjth; 12-01-2011 at 12:54 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 01:11 PM

406 posts, read 768,649 times
The man I am married to now did.
It did not end well. He was dating a girl while he was in the Army. He thought he made it perfectly clear that once the Army moved him, he was out of there. Kind of a "it was fun while it lasted" thing. She wanted more. Next thing he knew, she was pregnant. He always felt that she got pregnant on purpose. I have no idea whether she did or not, but she didn't do it w/out his help. Anyway, he was quite angry and very resentful ... but eventually he married her, b/c he thought he could give his daughter a better life. It lasted four years, and those four years were not good ones.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:12 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,185,582 times
I couldn't think of a more worse thing to do.....

Old 12-01-2011, 02:03 PM

951 posts, read 1,806,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I know someone who did and she doesnt even have or want kids nor was she old. She did it because she was tired of chasing players and wanted to settle down. She's not in love with her husband but she's happier because hes giving her that settled-ness and companionship that she wants. Her rationale is that she would have never gotten that player anyway so she's not missing anything. I think she's right.
This is certainly a big problem for men, now days. By modern standards (a combination of film/TV and feminist doctrine) 80% of men are not what women want. No love is likely but when they realize that they'll need to settle to cash in on marriage, women will pick somebody. Little down side to it anymore either, unless being played and taken for most of what he has, pushes him over the edge.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:09 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,728,423 times
It's usually the other way around. You're madly in love with the person until you have to live with them, and then reality sets in.

I do know someone who got married for convenience...actually, because they were both military and both got paid more if they were married, so they married each other but never lived together. Then he started dating someone else and got in big trouble, so they had to admit that they only married to get more money. Both nearly got a dishonorable discharge, and now they're trying to get a divorce.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:00 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,152,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's usually the other way around. You're madly in love with the person until you have to live with them, and then reality sets in.
I agree! I have always said that you never truly know someone until you live with them.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:02 PM

406 posts, read 768,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I couldn't think of a more worse thing to do.....
yup.... heck, it's hard enough when you do love the person.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:05 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,876,803 times
I cannot imagine deciding to marry someone I did not love. The person your marrying your going to be living with daily with all kinds of financial ties and obligations. When problems arise, and you know you have no love for the person, it will get awfully difficult. It is difficult enough to live with people you do love!

If people just want to be settled and have a companion in their home, co-habitation sounds better

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterclinger View Post
She wanted more. Next thing he knew, she was pregnant. He always felt that she got pregnant on purpose. I have no idea whether she did or not, but she didn't do it w/out his help.
Off topic, but I love when I hear guys say this. Yes, I know a woman could lie about being on birth control or whatever, but a guy also knows there are risks involved in certain activities, even when precautions are taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships