Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:16 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,664 times

Advertisements

As long as it's clear that you don't mind hanging up when put on hold- and you genuinely don't mind, then I think the two of you have an understanding....

I can't stand being put on hold for a long time either and I only answer important calls- and end the original converstaion- if necessary.

As for being in stores- I have talked on my cell phone on occasion and I'll explain why. I work for a large company but from a home office. The majority of my business is conducted by cell phone and I cannot control when that phone rings. If I'm in line and a customer calls me I absolutely take the call. I try to be courteous- I don't yell and when this happens I always make eye contact with the cashier and mouth an apology for being on the phone.

But it is unfair to assume that just because someone has a phone to their ear in a public place that they are carrying on a casual conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 11:02 AM

672 posts, read 2,125,480 times
Default I have no problem with cell phones/stores ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
As long as it's clear that you don't mind hanging up when put on hold- and you genuinely don't mind, then I think the two of you have an understanding....

I can't stand being put on hold for a long time either and I only answer important calls- and end the original converstaion- if necessary.

As for being in stores- I have talked on my cell phone on occasion and I'll explain why. I work for a large company but from a home office. The majority of my business is conducted by cell phone and I cannot control when that phone rings. If I'm in line and a customer calls me I absolutely take the call. I try to be courteous- I don't yell and when this happens I always make eye contact with the cashier and mouth an apology for being on the phone.

But it is unfair to assume that just because someone has a phone to their ear in a public place that they are carrying on a casual conversation.
I have heard many complaints from other people concerning cell phone usage in stores and public places in general. I am one of the few who now exist, that doesnt even own a cell phone. I sure dont want one either. But, I can certainly see why you have one, and need to use it wherever you might happen to be. No, I got no problem with anything on this thread except the call waiting--being rudely and unnecessarily placed on hold, when it was the other person who called me. I guy I know used to try to do that to me two and three times in a single call. I finally told him to stop and THINK, before he ever called me. I told him to decide up-front whether or not he could call me and have a conversation, while ignoring the constant beeps he seemed to receive. I frankly told him that if he didnt think that he could, I would rather he didnt call me in the first place. And that pretty much sums up how I feel about this whole call-waiting thing. And, just so everyone knows, I am not saying that Im RIGHT about all this. Its just how I feel, and yes I do realize that my own words and actions are every bit as rude as the stuff Im refering to as rude by others But, this sort of thing is of human interest I believe, and I certainly appreciate everyone who has, and still might share their thoughts and opinions concerning this subject. Take care all.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
This may have been discussed on here before, but I went back thru all the pages and didnt see it, so here goes: When someone (anyone) calls me on the phone, engages me in conversation- then starts putting me on hold to answer incoming call waiting calls that are beeping in- most of the time, I will just hang up the first time the person does that. My reasoning is that my time is as important as the time of the person who is beeping in. This has become somewhat of a conflict between my fiancee and I, because she is one of those who just cannot resist blabbing a minute or two with whoever it is, and I have hung up on her a few times over this. Now, I dont actually get mad over it, I just feel that it is incredibly rude and unnecessary to put whoever youre speaking with on hold over a non-emergency call. I mean, back in the day, whover got a busy signal, and knew they would need to try back later. She thinks call waiting is useful, and wonderful technology, and she doesnt see it as being rude to the person shes speaking with. I see it as something I will never embrace- Ive never put anyone on hold because of someone else trying to reach me. If the person beeping in shows up on caller ID,and I really need to speak to that person, and it HAS to be right then, and right there, I would at least have the decency to end my call with whoever, and not leave them just hanging there until I decide to return to the call. Anyone else have thoughts or experiences about this?
ohhhh man, that is one of my biggest pet peaves, I think call waiting is rude and thoughtless...it's like saying your not important and if someone else calls, I'm going to take the call....I had a friend who did that all the time....and I won't call her anymore.

If someone calls and I'm expecting a really important call, like from my mom who is sick, I'll tell them....if I get a buzz, I'll have to take the call, and I apologize. Otherwise I will ignore the buzz and call them back when the person and I are finished talking.

I hate cell phones to. I love peace and quiet...and noise literally hurts my ears...therefore, when I'm not working, for me, it's a respite...and I hate to hear the personal phone calls of everyone else, plus, I can't tell you how many times I've almost been side swiped by people on cell phones.

My girlfriend is just like me...one of her son's travels internationally...and her one daughter in law travels a lot...therefore, if she is expecting a call and it is them and they are traveling, of course she will take the call...otherwise, she ignores the bleeps.

No sir, it is very rude to do that to someone. I hate it and won't continue to talk with someone on the phone if they do that. Unless they tell me in the beginning, I might have to take a call...I'm expecting my son to call or mom to call. That is different.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I don't think it's rude. Why do you think you are more important than whoever might be calling? It could be my 85 year old great grandmother, it could be a call for a job I recently applied for, it could be my husband, it could be a family emergency. I love my friends and relatives, but IMO they can wait a moment while I ensure none of these people/issues need my attention. I don't think it's rude to click over for a moment. I personally do not take offense if someone asks me to wait a moment while they see who is calling. It is just like if I am on the phone or visiting a friend, and someone knocks on their front door. I don't expect them to ignore it on my behalf.

It is rude IMO to not click back right away. Also I have caller ID for my call waiting, so I can see who is beeping in. Unless it is my husband or something equally vital, I generally don't answer, or I might answer but tell the new caller that I am on the phone and I will have to call them back (or have my husband call back, if it's for him).
thats b/c its your culture, your generation finds it acceptable to be on the phone all the time....ohhhh Lord, how in the world would any of you survive with out phones...I mean no insult..but it is rude period. It is rude to be walking around a store and talking personal stuff, so that everyone else hears you...it's terrible....and I feel violated if I go out for lunch and someone is outside talking on their phones, I could literally take that phone out of their hands and hit them over their head with it?

Sorry, but it is rude all the way around...I believe your generation is forgetting the definition of rude.

People need their personal space....yanno? Others don't mind...but hey, it's your life...someday, perhaps you'll understand, and I hope you don't take offense.

I hope you laugh at this, but you guys ought to have a phone surgically implanted in your ears...yanno?

I don't own a cell phone either...I did have one in my glove compartment for emergencies and never used it....was paying 30.00 a month for it...do I thru it away...besides, I have enough passwords and numbers to remember.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:57 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Talking LOL Creme...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
thats b/c its your culture, your generation finds it acceptable to be on the phone all the time....ohhhh Lord, how in the world would any of you survive with out phones...I mean no insult..but it is rude period....

I hope you laugh at this, but you guys ought to have a phone surgically implanted in your ears...yanno?....
Couldn't have said it better.

Someone needs to start a Charm School for Cell Phone Use...

Actually, Charm School is needed these days for Many other reasons as well. Where's Miss Manners?

Old 08-29-2007, 03:08 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Quote:
thats b/c its your culture, your generation finds it acceptable to be on the phone all the time....ohhhh Lord, how in the world would any of you survive with out phones...I don't own a cell phone either...I did have one in my glove compartment for emergencies and never used it....was paying 30.00 a month for it...do I thru it away...besides, I have enough passwords and numbers to remember.

Creme, I think we're showing our age...my kids think I should learn to text message now so that they don't have to answer the phone....ummm....isn't that a lot like email? I think I'll do that...I understand the keyboard better! My older son is an attorney....he will call me and try to talk to me on his cell phone while texting someone on the company cell phone. He's gotten the dial tone more than once. Multitasking isn't all it's cracked up to be!

Old 08-29-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Couldn't have said it better.

Someone needs to start a Charm School for Cell Phone Use...

Actually, Charm School is needed these days for Many other reasons as well. Where's Miss Manners?
LOL absolutely....

Old 08-30-2007, 09:40 AM

672 posts, read 2,125,480 times
Default Funny stuff (sad, but true stuff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Creme, I think we're showing our age...my kids think I should learn to text message now so that they don't have to answer the phone....ummm....isn't that a lot like email? I think I'll do that...I understand the keyboard better! My older son is an attorney....he will call me and try to talk to me on his cell phone while texting someone on the company cell phone. He's gotten the dial tone more than once. Multitasking isn't all it's cracked up to be!
I have to tell this one. One night at work, I watched a dept. manager who was in a hurry, and trying to type out an e-mail, talk to other people in the room, and talk on the phone all at the same time. He had hung up the phone and was trying to reach someone else on the phone. I watched this guy dial phone numbers on his desktop calculator three or four times. You would have needed to have been there to fully appreciate the humor. So, yes, this multi-tasking really isnt all its cracked up to be.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:04 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Quote:
thats b/c its your culture, your generation finds it acceptable to be on the phone all the time....ohhhh Lord, how in the world would any of you survive with out phones...I mean no insult..but it is rude period. It is rude to be walking around a store and talking personal stuff, so that everyone else hears you...it's terrible....and I feel violated if I go out for lunch and someone is outside talking on their phones, I could literally take that phone out of their hands and hit them over their head with it?
Sorry, but it is rude all the way around...I believe your generation is forgetting the definition of rude.
People need their personal space....yanno? Others don't mind...but hey, it's your life...someday, perhaps you'll understand, and I hope you don't take offense.
I hope you laugh at this, but you guys ought to have a phone surgically implanted in your ears...yanno?
I don't own a cell phone either...I did have one in my glove compartment for emergencies and never used it....was paying 30.00 a month for it...do I thru it away...besides, I have enough passwords and numbers to remember.
You are right about my generation, but I think you are making some false assumptions about me. I don't own a cell phone. I don't talk on the phone much, maybe 2-3 calls per week. (I email several friends and relatives at least daily; I really don't care for talking on the telephone.) I agree it is rude to talk on the phone while at a restaurant, dining with friends, or while going through the check out. I hate being at a restaurant and hearing someone's phone ring. And I agree with the OP, that it can be annoying to be stuck on hold with someone you are very close to; you would want them to click back right away unless there is an emergency. But I don't think answering the call waiting is rude; if you think it is, then why even have it? I was on the phone with my mother the other day, and my call waiting clicked. I could see it was a prospective employer, so you'd better believe I told my mother I would have to call her back. Or if I'm on the phone with a friend and a friend of my husband's calls in, I don't think it's rude to click over and quickly tell my husband's friend that my husband will call him back in a little bit. If I am on the phone with my great grandmother, I don't answer the call waiting...and if I am on the phone and she comes up on my call waiting, I will probably tell the current caller that I have to take this call, I will call back later. I don't think any of these things are rude, but yes, I know many of people of older generations do. And for that reason, I don't answer the call waiting at all when I'm on the phone with my grandparents, although I might if I thought it might be urgent...which has never happened but I guess hypothetically could (like if the call waiting ID came up as the police or a hospital).

Old 08-30-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
You are right about my generation, but I think you are making some false assumptions about me. I don't own a cell phone. I don't talk on the phone much, maybe 2-3 calls per week. (I email several friends and relatives at least daily; I really don't care for talking on the telephone.) I agree it is rude to talk on the phone while at a restaurant, dining with friends, or while going through the check out. I hate being at a restaurant and hearing someone's phone ring. And I agree with the OP, that it can be annoying to be stuck on hold with someone you are very close to; you would want them to click back right away unless there is an emergency. But I don't think answering the call waiting is rude; if you think it is, then why even have it? I was on the phone with my mother the other day, and my call waiting clicked. I could see it was a prospective employer, so you'd better believe I told my mother I would have to call her back. Or if I'm on the phone with a friend and a friend of my husband's calls in, I don't think it's rude to click over and quickly tell my husband's friend that my husband will call him back in a little bit. If I am on the phone with my great grandmother, I don't answer the call waiting...and if I am on the phone and she comes up on my call waiting, I will probably tell the current caller that I have to take this call, I will call back later. I don't think any of these things are rude, but yes, I know many of people of older generations do. And for that reason, I don't answer the call waiting at all when I'm on the phone with my grandparents, although I might if I thought it might be urgent...which has never happened but I guess hypothetically could (like if the call waiting ID came up as the police or a hospital).
Well, I can understand what your saying in one way, but in another, I've been at the other end of that line, and you also have to understand, I'm from another generation...we didn't need to use the phone that often and call waiting is a convenience. I have it, b/c my mother is 90 years old, and if she needs something or not feeling well, I need to know about it. But I am not one who likes to talk on the phone either...not real long anyway. But, as in everything else, people take advantage of a friendship. There is one friend in particular, whom I would call, or she'd call me, and ever single time we'd talk, she's say, hey, can I call you back...cuz a call was coming thru...and sometimes she did, most of the time she didn't. So I won't call her anymore, nor do I answer if she calls. (nice part about caller ID ) but I think that is insulting, rude and unthinking...

So, I guess it depends on our generation...but people today, I don't know what they'd do without a phone implanted next to their ear? I mean, I think, it's absolutely ridiculous. I live alone and go out to eat a lot...and I hate it, when I'm reading a book, and someone's phone rings and I've got to listen to their conversation.....sheshhh, it's like my personal space is being taken away....is that maybe selfish of me?

Thanks hun for setting me straight...and for sheding light on my assuming mind.

Creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships