Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 01:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

I used to order half-and-half OJ and tonic water. If someone didn't hear me order it, they assumed it had vodka in it. I liked it and happily drank it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapataledk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 01:29 PM

494 posts, read 1,609,601 times
Me personally, I don't drink either due to medical reasons. And if I go to a bar, it has to have something else to do there besides just getting drunk and flirting. It's why I'm partial to sports bars and live music. Otherwise, I'm not interested, and only have only gone if a freind wanted me to go with him/her in the past.

Internet will probably be better for me when I start looking.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:08 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I've never liked alcohol. I've had friends make me try all sorts of alcoholic drinks, thinking I just hand't yet found one I liked, but would if I simply tried a variety. But no, it all tastes terrible to me. I've even gradually lost friends over time once they "discovered" drinking and no longer wanted to do anything but go to bars. But even if I did drink, I absolutely HATE bars. I've never been in a bar and not wanted to be somewhere else. So yeah, I'd say this fact has severely limited my social life. But I don't care, because I'm not going to do something I dislike if it's not necessary.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:11 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
There are basically only two bars I frequent, and I go to each of them often enough to where I know the regulars and the bartenders pretty well

They're scuzzy little 'locals only' dive bars and I would NEVER think of picking someone up there...I go there to socialize, drink a few beers (I don't drink liquor in bars period.) and play pool. Alcohol distorts personalities so I know that most people (including myself) can be completely different outside of that environment.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I guess my friends and I fall into this category.. it is just what we do I guess.. if we want to hang out we just go to a bar, sit down and get food and drink. Gives us something to do, a place to hang out and talk. I don't really think I'd consider dating someone who doesn't drink, because it is just something we do, we don't go to loud bars to dance or shout, just regular bars and talk and have a good time. I don't think any of my friend or I expect to pick up girls when we go out though? We just sit with ourselves and mind our own business, honestly I don't even think we hit on people.

Now don't get me wrong, every once in a while we do go downtown to those places and everything, but those crazy nights of getting trashed at loud bars are definitely not at the center of our social lives.. and the people who are like that are typically losers anyways.

There are tons of people who don't drink, I just don't know any If you don't have a problem with drinking , try finding some good flavored weak drinks that taste kind of good to you, you will surely find some.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:00 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
I think it's affected it somewhat positively. I'm a much more outgoing/exciting person when I'm drunk. Make a big show out of everything and what not. Seems most social events at my school revolve around drinking so that's kinda what you have to do.

Hasn't affected my dating life at all (I don't think there are beer goggles strong enough to convince a woman to date me) though. Social life? A fair bit. I probably wouldn't have met most of the people I socialize with if I didn't drink.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 AM

826 posts, read 1,893,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I can't go to bars. I am a binge drinker, and thus know I can't drink at all. I have stayed away from bars for years, and consequently, have met no one to date. I refuse internet dating.

So, the truth is people do socialize and meet at bars. If you don't do that, or internet dating, you have severely limited the amount of people you will meet.

All those stupid dating books say you can meet someone at the gym, or Wal-Mart, or sipping a coffee are full of it.
For once, I agree with you Jasper12

Old 12-11-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I've never liked alcohol. I've had friends make me try all sorts of alcoholic drinks, thinking I just hand't yet found one I liked, but would if I simply tried a variety. But no, it all tastes terrible to me. I've even gradually lost friends over time once they "discovered" drinking and no longer wanted to do anything but go to bars. But even if I did drink, I absolutely HATE bars. I've never been in a bar and not wanted to be somewhere else. So yeah, I'd say this fact has severely limited my social life. But I don't care, because I'm not going to do something I dislike if it's not necessary.
Your experience is similar to mine. Some people in my meetup groups had me try some drinks, telling me I probably hadn't found the right one yet. They introduced me to some "sweet beer" (Hurls) and some mixed drink.
Didn't work.
I can drink soda all day.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I guess my friends and I fall into this category.. it is just what we do I guess.. if we want to hang out we just go to a bar, sit down and get food and drink. Gives us something to do, a place to hang out and talk. I don't really think I'd consider dating someone who doesn't drink, because it is just something we do, we don't go to loud bars to dance or shout, just regular bars and talk and have a good time. I don't think any of my friend or I expect to pick up girls when we go out though? We just sit with ourselves and mind our own business, honestly I don't even think we hit on people.

Now don't get me wrong, every once in a while we do go downtown to those places and everything, but those crazy nights of getting trashed at loud bars are definitely not at the center of our social lives.. and the people who are like that are typically losers anyways.

There are tons of people who don't drink, I just don't know any If you don't have a problem with drinking , try finding some good flavored weak drinks that taste kind of good to you, you will surely find some.
Thanks for writing.
Yeah, I find the sentiment I bolded very common. Some guys won't date girls who don't drink. They might think you are a prude or judgemental and then automatically disqualify you. The truth is that I'm neither. I'm just not into it but wouldn't mind dating a guy who drank, just not someone who drank constantly and couldn't control himself i.e raging alcoholic.
Moderation is key.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I think it's affected it somewhat positively. I'm a much more outgoing/exciting person when I'm drunk. Make a big show out of everything and what not. Seems most social events at my school revolve around drinking so that's kinda what you have to do.

Hasn't affected my dating life at all (I don't think there are beer goggles strong enough to convince a woman to date me) though. Social life? A fair bit. I probably wouldn't have met most of the people I socialize with if I didn't drink.
Exactly. This was the same thing I saw in undergrad and grad school.
I know I missed out on some social connections because I didn't go to bar crawls or follow them every friday to the bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships