Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:45 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
I see.
But don't you think opposites can attract sometimes i.e Non-drinker with Social-drinker?

I am not attracted to my opposite, if I thought it was attractive I would simply be that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 11:46 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Yeah, they all seem to think that if they can just figure out what type of drink suits you then you'll soon be on your way to delightful drunkenness.

Them: "Oh here, if you didn't like that particular red whine, you may like this white whine."
Me: "This tastes just as horrible, but in a slightly different way."

Them: "Ooh, try this hard lemonade. You'll probably like it."
Me: "Tolerable. Would taste much better if it was just regular lemonade."

Them: "Try this rum with Coke. Surely you'll like it."
Me: "Hey, that's not especially awful. Kind of taste like vanilla Coke, except it's ruined by the taste of alcohol."

Them: "Try this beer."
Me: *vomit* "Why do you hate me?"
They usually have non-alcoholic drinks at bars too, if you don't want a drink, but how socially acceptable it is to chug your soda pop in front of everyone still varies quite a lot by your peer group.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:08 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,051,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
Lol. So I'm guessing you now have it under control right?

Haha, yeah. I quit drinking vodka.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:35 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
I've gone through long periods where I haven't drank anything, no particular reason other than I didn't feel like it. It never hurt me socially but I don't really know any heavy drinkers anyway. It's super easy for me to hang out in a bar with people and not do any or much drinking. I can nurse a glass of wine or beer for hours or get a 7up or ginger ale. Nobody cares. I usually only have more than one drink when I'm home anyway and don't have to worry about driving. These day's I'm most likely to have something at night, alone, and do it out of appreciation for the beverage rather than party and get buzzed.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:00 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,732,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
They usually have non-alcoholic drinks at bars too, if you don't want a drink, but how socially acceptable it is to chug your soda pop in front of everyone still varies quite a lot by your peer group.
Oh I know, but that brings up the issue of how I don't like bars in general. 99% of the times friends have attempted to get me to try different alcoholic drinks were outside of bars. And out of curiosity, I've willingly tasted every drink they've offered, which has been quite a few. And so far I haven't liked any of them.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
I have nothing against drinking alcohol in moderation, personally, and enjoy all beer, some wine, and a few liquors. But I rarely enjoy bar environments, at least the bar environments that have always been most prevalent where I've always lived. I do enjoy a cozy, quiet pub that has booths, etc. where you can get together with friends and talk, but I experienced those predominantly when I was a student and studied abroad in Europe...they exist in the U.S., but are not the prevailing bar environment, culturally.

When I was single, I tolerated bars, even though they're kind of tiresome to me, because that was one of the things people did to socialize. Now that I'm in a relationship with somebody who is like me (i.e. is fine with drinking, but is lukewarm on rowdy, loud, crowded, obnoxious or meatmarkety bars), we rarely venture into bars unless they are one of a handful of brewpubs we know, which are more restaurant/lounge-y in character than bar-like. We also like the atmosphere of drinks on a patio in warm weather.

I can't imagine a context where I would ever look down at an acquaintance for drinking something non-alcoholic when out. Most people, if they're decent friends, are just glad you're out socializing, and don't really care what you're drinking or not drinking. If they do, the problem isn't the bar, it's your friends.

I can't say that a person who goes along to the bars and is blatant about what a ****ty time he or she's having is all that much fun, though.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:41 PM

13 posts, read 18,605 times
I could not help myself and respond to your thread. I definitely believe that alcohol in excessive amounts can have a detrimental effect on your decision making process. However, I think a drink or two is great for breaking the ice with the cool stranger or co worker that you have been wanting to talk to. If you dont like the taste of alcohol I suggest getting something on the fruity side like a Cape Cod, or Mai Tai, anything like that will do. My personal opinion is to stay away from men who drink fruity or mix drinks of any kind. No this has nothing to do with their sexual orientation! It just has to do with their character and sensibilities in general. Shoot for a guy who drinks beer, wine, or whiskey. My wife and I have sat down and compiled a list of little things like this to check off when considering being involved with someone. I hope this has helped, good luck!

Old 12-11-2011, 03:41 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times
I used to go to nightclub types of bar when I was in my early 20's, mostly just to try and meet chicks.

The music usually always sucked, I was never into hip hop or dance type music, so that was always a big negative.

I'm more of a dive bar play the jukebox kind of guy. I don't mind the loungy restaurant types either.

I hate the whole meat market vibe and the preening and crap that both of the sexes do. Makes me do this

Old 12-11-2011, 04:36 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've gone through long periods where I haven't drank anything, no particular reason other than I didn't feel like it. It never hurt me socially but I don't really know any heavy drinkers anyway. It's super easy for me to hang out in a bar with people and not do any or much drinking. I can nurse a glass of wine or beer for hours or get a 7up or ginger ale. Nobody cares. I usually only have more than one drink when I'm home anyway and don't have to worry about driving. These day's I'm most likely to have something at night, alone, and do it out of appreciation for the beverage rather than party and get buzzed.
The section I bolded is what I'd like to be. To be super comfortable hanging out in a bar without any drinking at all. Even though I don't imbibe, I do want the social connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships