Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:08 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,250 times

Advertisements

with the change of address or job or eating/drinking habits etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 08:09 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
What?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:11 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,250 times
Well we all have our "good" friends at work and our "good" friends in the apartment complex or on our block... but how many of those "good" friends would you remain in contact with if you weren't forced to see them on a regular basis.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:14 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
My 'good friends' are determined by this; those I might share secrets with and those I would not. With those I would not, it's a revolving door.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Having moved and/or changed jobs (and even countries) numerous times over the years, I find there are some friends who permanent, and some who come and go. I can usually tell which they are before some change clarifies their status.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:19 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
I know of a few guys who lost their wives when the recession hit and they couldn't make as much $$ in the trades anymore...

Some white collar guys too

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
with the change of address or job or eating/drinking habits etc?
Well, marriages should NOT be ended by any of those things, but if taken to the super extreme, eating and drinking could definitely have an effect on things, but change of address or job? I dont think so.

In thinking back to when I was NOT married, change of address (i.e., moving away) would have an effect because I would never do a long distance relationship.

Changing of job would NOT have an effect at all.

Now, changing of eating and/or drinking habits could DEFINITELY negatively impact things. The fact that I would be with a chick, she would have her priorities in order when it comes to health, fitness, nutrition, weight, etc. For her to completely change her eating habits to something completely unhealthy, to where it effects her weight, health and the lifestyle that I/we lead, then I'd probably end it if she didnt get her head back on straight and change course from unhealthy life back to her original healthy one. Same with alcohol, no one wants to be with a drunk, so I'd definitely end it.

EDIT
Just some some of the recent posts where people are talking about FRIENDS instead of RELATIONSHIPS (where I consider discussion of "relationships" on a relationship board to mean "romantic relationship" unless otherwise stated by person starting the discussion). So my comments above all relate to "romantic relationships". Now, if we are just talking about "FRIEND" relationships, then I'd have to say that they should ABSOLUTELY NOT CHANGE due to any of those things.......... unless the person becomes a drunk. With FACEBOOK, I still keep in touch with friends I made all the way back in high school even though many live in different parts of the planet. So....... there answers the OPs question.

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Well we all have our "good" friends at work and our "good" friends in the apartment complex or on our block... but how many of those "good" friends would you remain in contact with if you weren't forced to see them on a regular basis.
Yeah, you usually lose contact with former neighbors and co-workers. Many of these relations that kind of look like friendships are only fueled by convenience, lack of other choices, and the things in common are just the neighborhood- or work-related everyday issues. When they go away, not much, if anything, is left.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Well, As for work friends I have experienced this firsthand. Many great people I have worked with moved on, And of course there is the "Lets keep in touch" outing before they leave. But aside from an occasional e-mail we always drifted apart. Just the nature of the beast as people get busy with adjusting to a new situation. And days multiply into weeks and so on.

As for friends, I only recently saw my childhood friend for the first time in 2 years. We spoke maybe 3 times a year despite him being a half a mile away. Life stuff and struggles on his end. The sad part was I saw him to give him $50 to get him out of a jam. He was moving a block away and has no cell phone, And said he would call me with his new number. Nothing. I think I was duped, And this thread just hit home for me.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:52 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
I just recently moved.

Only now am I finding out which ones were real friends, and which were just people I knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships