U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 10:24 PM

3,798 posts, read 6,367,359 times

Advertisements

No I would not go unless the host/hostess invited me. I learned my lesson a long time ago. A friend invited me to a mutual friends house for thanksgiving, the hostess was outwardly fine but I found out later she was upset.

From what the OP has described she is surely not invited.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 08:56 AM

3,111 posts, read 7,436,775 times
That happened to me once. I was invited to a party by one friend to another friend's house. It turned out the friend whose house I was going to did not invite me. It was a bit awkward, and I left later.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:47 PM

10,797 posts, read 10,570,963 times
Ditto Ditto Ditto

Unless you've been given a explicit invite (verbal, written or email) by the host/hostess of the get together, you should assume you are not invited.

If later that person should ask why you didn't come over, you can reiterate that you never assume an invite unless you are specifically asked by the host/hostess of the event.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:33 PM

32,778 posts, read 36,290,946 times
I go where I want. I've even been to weddings I wasn't invited to . But you have to consider the people involved and the situation. I would never go somewhere if I thought anyone would be uncomfortable about it.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:42 PM

8,476 posts, read 16,183,790 times
If it's a good chance you were invited, rather than not go to something where you are wanted, then why not ask?

Old 12-18-2011, 10:40 PM

5,818 posts, read 9,462,771 times
Smile Large family but....

We have always had a family Christmas party always beautifully done by one of my sisters. Usually held the week before Christmas, not on Christmas Eve or Christmas.

This sister had invited everyone around the first part of December. Several accepted. All good.

Then, another sister indicated to the sister (who was the hostess) that everyone was going to our ex-SIL's home for Christmas (did not specify Christmas Eve). She indicated that her total family (7) would be going there, that we were all invited.

Well, sister (host) and other sister get me on the phone and want to know if I know about all this. (I did not). Host sister gets upset and says family is choosing ex-SIL over her, blah blah blah. I tried to insist none of us were specifically invited. (It seems that several of the younger set want to go to the ex-SIL's home; just moved there, etc) - one of my ex-SIL's own children is insisting we are all invited; that her mom is just not good at issuing formal invites. (My niece who I love dearly)

Bottom line: I feel uncomfortable especially after giving my ex-SIL a chance to invite us or at least say "I'll see you in a few weeks; would love to show you my new home!"

Bottom line #2: Original host sister's feelings are hurt and she feels the family has chosen ex-SIL over her gracious invite. (I have asked her to have a smaller group or something on a different night - she says no; you chose her over me. (Not true but that's how she sees it).

Ugh!! And I love them all!!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:12 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,696,738 times
why would that sister choose the ex-SIL instead of the sister???? makes no sense, you should speak to her and have ur family go to ur sisters and maybe she herself can go to the SIL since she loves her so much lol

Old 12-21-2011, 10:18 AM

16,108 posts, read 21,782,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I go where I want. I've even been to weddings I wasn't invited to . But you have to consider the people involved and the situation. I would never go somewhere if I thought anyone would be uncomfortable about it.
You are THAT person. That habit is very rude. People are too nice to tell you to leave, but believe me, it isn't acceptable to do that.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 AM

10,797 posts, read 10,570,963 times
Yeah, that aWkwArD feeling of being somewhere one is not really wanted or welcomed is not something I'd ever want to experience, and certainly not twice.

There's a great saying that I just love. "In life, go where you are celebrated, and not merely tolerated." AMEN!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:39 AM

25,144 posts, read 27,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You are THAT person. That habit is very rude. People are too nice to tell you to leave, but believe me, it isn't acceptable to do that.
Yep. A gracious host/hostess is never going to kick you out, but they'll certainly be discussing your audacity for quite a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships