Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:55 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
So how many of you out there have gone to the bar/club alone before? Do you go alone on a regular basis? How would you compare your 'success' rate (ie - getting a phone number or bringing someone home) from when you go out alone versus when you go with friends?

The reason I ask is because I've recently started going out alone (friends going out of town occasionally). I'm 23 and male, relatively attractive (rated 8 on HotOrNot ) and typically a bit of a loner anyway.

I've only been out alone 3 times, and every single time I have left with a phone number (and had or currently going on dates with). On the other hand, I've been out many times with friends, but have never gotten a single phone number.

Weird, huh?
You sound like your going out hunting every night with the hopes of bringing home a prize. Alcohol, drugs, and gratuitous sex are distractions that fill the void with more emptiness. No matter how much you seek, it is never enough, and only leaves you wanting more.

Greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 12:27 PM

97 posts, read 369,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
You sound like your going out hunting every night with the hopes of bringing home a prize. Alcohol, drugs, and gratuitous sex are distractions that fill the void with more emptiness. No matter how much you seek, it is never enough, and only leaves you wanting more.

Greenie

well said actually....

Old 02-25-2008, 12:45 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post

Greenie
Ugh.

Or, he's out having fun, enjoying life, and meeting people before settling down. I did this. My girlfriend has had her share of boyfriends, and I like that fact - we're not "learning" relationships, we know what a relationship entails, etc.

There is *nothing* wrong with going out nightly to meet girls - you never know what you'll find, including someone you want to spend the rest of your life with. I don't personally see a void there, so get off the high horse.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:47 PM

250 posts, read 937,320 times
Never seemed to make any difference to me whether I was alone or with friends. I always got one of the Ly sisters. :bag:

Old 02-25-2008, 01:05 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Social psychology. If someone fancies you (is romantically interested in getting to know you) it is more intimidating for them to approach and/or talk to that person (rejection in front of a group). Also, if you're in a group of your friends and you leave that group to approach a person it appears to that person like they are on stage..somewhat unnerving.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Exactly! I go out Alone! It is sometimes a real adventure that way. If I am with my friends which RARELY go out, I will be too distracted to meet new people. I think I am a 10 on the scale, I am very attractive and get gawked at when I walk into dance clubs and bars. I've also seen other very attractive guys alone at bars. NO biggie. It doesn't always mean desperate.

At bars and clubs you meet others who go there and make new friends that way. Sooner or later your new friends will buy you drinks and will show an interest in you. If you are lucky you will get phone numbers and make new friends or go out on dates. or hook up (even though I am not into that)! But ya, it depends what bar or club you want to go to. Some bars and dance clubs are for different types of people. I've been to some that are full of really rude and obnoxious people. At one dance club I just couldn't understand the style of people that went there. They all looked cool but when I talked to them I realized what insecure freaks they were.

I am intimidated by very large groups of people. But I usually see small groups mingling about, and sometimes I will flirt and it is easy for me to start up conversation and get numbers with very small groups.

Heck I got FIVE numbers the last time I went out on the town Some were not my type but overall the people were friendly enough and cool IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I always go to bars alone. I have been for years and it wont change. I have my people. They stand at attention and buy me a shot upon arrival!

Last edited by artsyguy; 02-25-2008 at 04:57 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 04:48 PM

cool coments dude! I hate groups. You never know which one are full of arrogant snobs. I've made that mistake before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Social psychology. If someone fancies you (is romantically interested in getting to know you) it is more intimidating for them to approach and/or talk to that person (rejection in front of a group). Also, if you're in a group of your friends and you leave that group to approach a person it appears to that person like they are on stage..somewhat unnerving.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:49 PM

i agree.

just be cautious and keep it safe and respectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Ugh.

Or, he's out having fun, enjoying life, and meeting people before settling down. I did this. My girlfriend has had her share of boyfriends, and I like that fact - we're not "learning" relationships, we know what a relationship entails, etc.

There is *nothing* wrong with going out nightly to meet girls - you never know what you'll find, including someone you want to spend the rest of your life with. I don't personally see a void there, so get off the high horse.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:51 PM

Ya I ran into a sociopathic guy last time I was at a bar. He was really creepy and kept harassing me, so I told him that I had a boyfriend and he darted away as fast you could imagine LMAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think it depends on the place and how you carry yourself when you are there. It sounds like it's working for you though, so I'd guess you're comfortable and relaxed and not giving out sociopathic vibes when you're out.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:53 PM

That is a really cool way to go about things.

I am gay but have had women flirt with me at hard rock and metal concerts etc. It is funny. I didn't even have to try. But that doesn't happen too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I tend to go out alot alone,prefere it that way actually and my success rate has been better that way actually.I like to go to places where live bands are playing because that's what I'm really interested in,seeing music and meeting fellow musicians.

Usually I have had girls come up to me or send some signals rather than me intitiating contact,fact is I don't concentrate on women at a bar,I concentrate on the band or playing pool,though I defenately am always checking the situation.My attitude is eh,if I meet someone cool,but if not I still met somebody more important to me which is musicians,though if I did meet some girl her importance would be above the band then.

When I go with a friend we tend to just look and go "wow look at that one" and hang out but when I'm solo I'm free to bounce around how ever I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships