Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 04:09 PM

732 posts, read 1,045,931 times

Advertisements

After some casual surfing, I also found this report:

Unemployment Can Spell Divorce for Men, But Not Women | Gender Roles in Marriage | LiveScience

So basically, the above study confirms what most men fear; Women are more likely to leave them if they lose their jobs. Interestingly, the study also says that unemployed men also file for divorce more readily than employed men. Reasons? Maybe their spirit has been crushed. Maybe their wife is treating them differently. Maybe they feel less love and support. Maybe their wife see's them as less of a man.

The point is that 2 studies have been presented on this thread. Each of them presents the same stereotypes that are rampant on this forum and in society:

1. Women are mainly interested in a man's money and earning potential. When that is compromised, the woman is more likely to leave.

2. Men are mainly interested in a woman's physical assets and appearance. When that is compromised, the man is more likely to leave.

So what was learned here? Any person with a particular mindset can very easily find a study to support her/his viewpoint. I prefer to live in my own world and base my feelings on my own experiences.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:14 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Mod cut: Off topis.

Anyways, it is part of the vows couples tell each other when on the altar. Fulfilling the promise is another thing and some couples decide to be honest while others break those promises not just for cancer but for a man losing his job, a woman with a terminal illness, etc.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-23-2011 at 11:12 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 04:15 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
My wife and I are joined at the hip. We do it all together. Plenty to throw mud at both sexes. No one sex more viruous than the other. Many wives will stick with husbands, in sickness and economic times, and vice versa. Many husbands will stick it out through cancer with their wives. But you will also find married men and women on the internet dating sites looking for "companionship", and women who dump their husbands after they get laid off. People can be pretty heartless. Its sad how many people treasure their pets more than their spouses.
What if you are in Barnes and Nobles, and have to pee

Old 12-23-2011, 04:15 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon17 View Post
I read an article that made me never want to get married. It was about how men almost always divorce their wives if she is going through cancer because he cannot deal with taking care of a sick person. If the man has cancer, the woman is more than likely going to stay.

GENERALLY it seems like people really have no unconditional love anymore.
I did my best for my wife when she was diagnosed with cancer in 2001. It's not easy to hold down a job and care for someone that can't make it to the bathroom by herself. That does not make divorce the answer... What do you tell her? "The woman I married did not have cancer, so I don't love you anymore." That would suggest he didn't "LOVE" her to begin with.

And, time apart becomes more and more important, too, even if it's just for 5 minutes at a time, because you can not keep up a confident front all of the time, knowing the eventual conclusion. The radiation and chemo being even worse on her than the cancer to begin with. Then when they switch from chemo to morphine, and tell you not to tell her...

My wife never spent one day in hospice. My sister-in-law filled in when I had to be at work. Divorce was never an option. It was far too important to spend every possible moment with her.

It's not all men that file for divorce.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:16 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Don't have a wife but I'd like to think I would have enough integrity to stick by my vows and be there for her through thick and thin. What sad, cowardly excuse for a man would leave his wife because she got cancer?

Old 12-23-2011, 05:25 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
I cannot imagine doing otherwise. I would have complete contempt for anyone leaving a spouse in that situation.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:43 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,579 times
I would stand by my wife to the very end. I can't imagine losing her. We have been together for a long time and she is by far my very best friend.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:49 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon17 View Post
Did you read the article? It discusses that women are strong enough to be there for men through cancer. If you find an article on men that lost a leg and the stats on that sure I would love to read it.

BTW, I'm not anti male. I'm anti MOST males
Wow, just wow. My ex and I got back together when I had a health issue. I needed help and he was there for me during the problem and we were together after that until he passed unexpectedly, for more years than we were married. Maybe having kids together makes a dif. There is always that connection.

Shoot, I'd take a friend in that had cancer and needed help. Why would someone ever leave their spouse when you need them most?

Old 12-23-2011, 06:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
If I may have to humanize the men who throw the gauntlet and quit, cancer is not exactly cheap. Not something you fix with a hundred bucks And not everyone makes six figures.
REAL men stay with their spouse for better, for worse, in sickness and in health.

REAL women do the same.

Cost be d*****d.

They also wait and stay loyal through deployments. Through a bullet in the spine and a life in a chair. The women give birth when the men are thousands of miles away. The men hold down the fort until Mom can come home.

Maybe someday, Chamy, you'll understand this.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:45 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,941 times
Yes, no ifs ands or but about it! YES!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships