Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Oh I agree our plan for a family of 4 is over $10,000 a year!But we have Canadian neighbor whose Mom back in Canada had a throat obstruction(could not swallow solid food) and had to wait 3months to get it treated...so free doesn't always come without a cost!
That's for sure. Not a damn thing is free in this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
That said, will the OP be able to retain the citizenship post divorce?
No citizenshp is taken away due to a divorce.

Quote:
Dual citizenship is definitely possible, it's just not recognized as such in the
narrow-minded US. Not surprising.
Well, the thing is dual citizenship is a bit of a gray area in the US. It's similar to the "don't ask, don't tell" deal. It's not officially recognized and encouraged, but it's not stopped, either. I'm a dual citizen myself. Obviously, everybody knows that most people do not give up their prior citizenship unless their country of origin requires that, and there aren't many that do.

Now, I'm not actually sure how things work for a US citizen acquiring another citizenship as an adult, but it's probably OK if it's due to a marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
That's like saying all Americans are loud and obnoxious.
Well, let's just say that QUITE A FEW are!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
I'm not financially fit to leave yet... working on it though. Also, there are other complicated issues. I have a serious health issue and wouldn't be able to have my current employer cover it well so I am on his plan. ALso, I want European citizenship.... I'm eligible in April. He got his citizenship. I'm not walking away from this without anything. I'm 42. I need to think about my future. That's why I put up with it. I have a plan... and after this year.. I'm done.
....and it's your hubby that is the tool.....

Old 12-28-2011, 07:26 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's for sure. Not a damn thing is free in this world.

No citizenshp is taken away due to a divorce.

Well, the thing is dual citizenship is a bit of a gray area in the US. It's similar to the "don't ask, don't tell" deal. It's not officially recognized and encouraged, but it's not stopped, either. I'm a dual citizen myself. Obviously, everybody knows that most people do not give up their prior citizenship unless their country of origin requires that, and there aren't many that do.

Now, I'm not actually sure how things work for a US citizen acquiring another citizenship as an adult, but it's probably OK if it's due to a marriage.
You married that Nigerian dictator after all?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You married that Nigerian dictator after all?
I wish I did! Now I have to look for oil wells in TX!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:30 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
It's citizenship. It's for my future. So that I have options later in life. I don't want to end up like my mother... so I am trying to do things in my best interest. First time in my life I have "watched" out for myself.

The other day I got the wrong kind of "hanger" for the mirror in the bathroom and he said "You had one thing to do today and you screwed it up"....

I'm pretty sure I am being verbally abused... but sometimes I find myself questioning whether it is or not.
You are. Stop questioning yourself.

Good that you have a plan. Try to build up some invisible shield if you can in the meantime to keep from believing his words. I'm afraid your subconscious will hear them and believe you are the idiotic loser he wants so badly for you to think you are.

He's a jerk. You can get free.

And hey, think about that. Your time with the in-laws is limited, since you won't be there forever. Good luck.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:32 PM

299 posts, read 1,132,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Did you marry this man because you loved him and wanted to spend the rest of your life with him or did you marry him so you could get European citizenship?
I DID marry him because I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. I wasn't planning on marrying him so quick tho... but he had lost his job just after I moved in with him. So we got married pretty fast. I never thought about the citizenship until later when he brought it up...

Old 12-28-2011, 07:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
you made me remember why i left france. thank you.
the horrid part of becoming fluent is you find out that its was never the language, u speak quiet well, its you they dont like.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:35 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Quote:

That's like saying all Americans are loud and obnoxious.

I have been to France on many occasions and have many French relatives. I have never observed creepy staring on their part. Interesting......
The French stare all the time. There's no shame in it for them. Get on a bus anywhere in France and tell me people don't stare. For some, it could be creepy. For me, it's just French.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:41 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
I don't get a few things:

- 20 years of travelling in Europe and all you know is English?

- you are "too old" to learn a new language at 42, but expect it from 72yo and 82yo?

-it was a shot-gun marriage in 3 days to enable his stay in USA, but you "loved him"? Way before the marriage decision, or did your love develop after the marriage? If before, did HE reciprocate your love?

-if the marriage was a "cover" for 2 people with their own agendas (green card for him, EU citizenship for you), he probably still thinks of it as such. You, however, seem to have developed an idea of a real couple. He doesn't want to be a man and wife, and verbally abuses you, but you subserviently try to keep the facade - letting go, internalizing....

-I don't see a big deal about people sleeping in the same room, especially temporarily. Have you not seen European apartments? Multi-generations living in the same apartments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships