Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times

Advertisements

It does sound fishy. But many of my friends go by nicknames. Many people over the years know me as one name then friends of the past call me by my nickname. Then they are like um what did they call you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:37 PM

113 posts, read 216,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
[recuerdos]

So I go out on a couple of dates with this guy. He seems to be really interested in me and I think he's okay. Well we went to a local wine bar I frequent that has a lot of movers and shakers... ie people with money.

So some people I know spot me in the crowd and start waving. I of course have to go speak to them so I give him a few tidbits about who is who and their professions and status while walking towards the group. I start off introducing him to everyone and before I can tell everyone who he is one lady in the group asked him his name and he hesitated then meekly said Leo... Now I'm like wait didn't you tell me your name was J... at any rate I kept of a good image but afterwards I was like wtf is your name?

He then said J... is his middle name and Leo is his first and he wanted to go by Leo.. because it seemed more fitting for the environment.

I stopped talking to him after that. I don't know if he was telling the truth or not, I didn't ask for his DL but I do know it left a bad feeling in my mouth.

Thoughts?

oww once I met a friend out at a restaurant and he appeared to be on a date. As I was walking out I said hi [Friends name]... the other guy blanched and was like what did you call him.

I know false names aren't anything new but why do it.

Like people seemed reluctant to give a potential love/sex interest their business card but' chatty kathy" at happy hour gets a card without a second thought. True there is no threat that Chatty Kathy will turn into a psycho ex but shouldn't you trust people you want to "lay" down with?

Thoughts?

So you take this guy to a bar and tell him there are a lot of "movers and shakers" and he comes up with a name more suited to "your" crowd so not to hurt your "mover and shaker" status. I'd say the guy deserves kudos for being so quick as to recognize and understand how shallow people in such crowds as that can be, that they would judge someone with an odd name. He's willing to play the part, I'd say he is a keeper!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
The name thing by itself wouldn't necessarily bother me. But, your intuition told you that something was "off", and none of us can discern as much from an online posting as you can from the actual situation.

Having said that, I know many people that go by different names, given the circumstances. Some people prefer their middle names; some people hate the person they're named after; some use an altered version of their given name because it's easier for other people to pronounce. We called one guy by a shortened version of his last name (which also can be a first name) because there were two people in our department with the same first name.

Heck, there's one guy that to this day calls me "Penelope" (that is nowhere near what my name is). That was because people used to call me "Tina" and "Heather" (neither of which are my name, who only knows where that came from). The guy kept calling me the wrong name and, being my sarcastic self, I said, "Get it right; it's 'Penelope'. But, I would have no problem telling a date this story if we were out somewhere and this guy showed up and said "Hey, Penelope!". From what you posted, the guy seemed weird about it. What's up with that?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
So you take this guy to a bar and tell him there are a lot of "movers and shakers" and he comes up with a name more suited to "your" crowd so not to hurt your "mover and shaker" status. I'd say the guy deserves kudos for being so quick as to recognize and understand how shallow people in such crowds as that can be, that they would judge someone with an odd name. He's willing to play the part, I'd say he is a keeper!
I agree. He thought it was more appropriate to use his first name in your environment. He thought Leo sounded more classier then Joe or whatever his middle name was. He gave you a good response when you asked him about his name.

Really, though, I'd read your posts for about a year now. You always make such a big deal out of nothing and you don't know how to communicate with others or understand people.

Work on yourself and you'll find someone that you're compatible with.

You're nitpicking on everyone you meet and go out with. Start to understand why you're doing that and try to understand why others do what they do when they're around you.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I agree. He thought it was more appropriate to use his first name in your environment. He thought Leo sounded more classier then Joe or whatever his middle name was. He gave you a good response when you asked him about his name.

Really, though, I'd read your posts for about a year now. You always make such a big deal out of nothing and you don't know how to communicate with others or understand people.

Work on yourself and you'll find someone that you're compatible with.

You're nitpicking on everyone you meet and go out with. Start to understand why you're doing that and try to understand why others do what they do when they're around you.
I'm a very good communicator.

And I don't nitpick but I do observe and listen to that inner voice (well sometimes) that says something isn't right.

Thanks for following my posts

Old 01-10-2012, 11:49 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Telling you one name and another woman another name wouldn't sit well with me, either. Something is a little bit "off" about that, and it sounds like your gut agrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships