Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 04:57 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times

Advertisements

L+this morning=rough! We made it through, though!!

I asked her about the stay strong, once again, when things get tough, hold it in.

I so do not understand this way of thinking of his. I told her just now if she is having a problem that she can talk to me about it at any any time.

She just was asking me if she could wear this cute sweater over her shirt, I said sure, she put it on, such a cute kid, beautiful girl.

I started singing to her...du wa di di di di dum di di do...

she looks good, she looks fine, she looks good she looks fine... she was dancing all over the dining room....smiling, back to happy L. YAY!

Hoping for a good day today.

For a parent to tell their child to hold in their emotions is ruining to that child. Maybe it is what he was told as a child, and maybe he thinks it worked. He is wrong.

Maybe that is why he is how he is. Maybe that is why I was conditioned to hold it all in. I did not do that before him. I didn't talk to my parents, but to my adult sister.

He is conditioning them to not talk about things, when they really need to, it was not like that before, when we were a family unit, all of us together. It was, if you have a problem, come to us with it, do not be afraid. We will not be abgry, no matter what.

How can you parent your child if they are afraid to speak to you? This is going to work against him as well. He, himself is telling them to hold it all in, or maybe he is telling them to hold it in, until they see him. I have no idea.

Either way, it is not a good thing. We have A, with low self esteem, who for all these years, has had a difficult time keeping friends at school, easily upsetable at school, trying to obtain perfection, and when he cannot, the upset comes before him. He cries. I dont know that he has done it this year, no teacher has told me of it, which is strange, with all that has gone on, but maybe he doesn't feel the need to be perfect anymore, I have no idea.

We have L. A lovely child, also one who wants to achieve perfection, they both do, and they both upset when they do not. L still does this. Not as badly. Especially when she thinks something really is right, and she thinks the teacher is wrong...it could happen, right? She expresses herself well, but she was able to perfectly explain to me the stay strong method, Pirate Girl. She got a little bit upset over it. I dont think she likes the method.

I think with this method she has been told to use, it has been holding her back. I have noticed, like yesterday, we were putting groceries away, and she accidentally stepped on Mollies tail. A said something to her about it, she ran upstairs, I tried to comfort her over it. She was not able to be comforted.

She kept on and on. Finally she said I cant do this, I cant handle this.

Cant do what? Cant handle what? She is a child. I gave her some calm down time, and she came down and asked if I wanted a hug, sure I do, baby girl.

I think they both are trying to hold back their feelings and emotions, and then when the bottles start running over what else can they do but explode. My brother is like that.

I was like that. No bottle, a bucket. Its gone. Its not healthy.

I know that now. I have learned it. Ya know sometimes we keep it in, for the sake of not bothering with it, but it has got to come out, better to let it out, with thought, easily, as it happens, or a little after, after thought is put into it, than to keep it bottled.

That bottled emotion, no matter what emotion it is, is a dangerous thing, like shaking a bottle of soda...once your bottle gets full, and something breaks it, that is it, there is nothing you can do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 05:05 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
The counselor will address the "stay strong" issue. They need an independent professional input on how to deal with their emotions. He is a horses a$$. Too bad he doesn't follow his own advice, stay strong and ****.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:07 AM

283 posts, read 524,123 times
You and I both know keeping emotions in is not healthy. Just keep letting them know, when they are at Chimes, they can have any emotion that they choose. As long it is not disrespectful of others.

L started to get a little upset here yesterday when she couldn't find her brush. I think I diffused it pretty easily, tried to give her a hug, she didn't want that. So said look, it's ok, M has a brush and you 2 spend so much time together, it's ok to use hers. And then just backed off. She came out a few minutes later, hair pretty and shining, she was fine. Gave me a hug and a backrub.

Just continue to be the great mom that you are, love them with all your heart, keep praying and stay strong (think I'll adopt that). In essence, be you Rob. You are not that meek and mild weakling that TJ thought you were. Your kids know you for what and who you are, and so do your friends.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
The counselor will address the "stay strong" issue. They need an independent professional input on how to deal with their emotions. He is a horses a$$. Too bad he doesn't follow his own advice, stay strong and ****.
LOL HIF, can't rep you, but that made me laugh.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:08 AM

He is a horses a$$. Too bad he doesn't follow his own advice, stay strong and ****.

I agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^

Old 11-05-2007, 05:10 AM

I think it's the **** concept he has a problem with.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Just continue to be the great mom that you are, love them with all your heart, keep praying and stay strong (think I'll adopt that). In essence, be you Rob. You are not that meek and mild weakling that TJ thought you were. Your kids know you for what and who you are, and so do your friends.
I am not...I am a sensitive person, overall, but I am not that other person, he has seen portions of the new me, and has not known what to do with it....I will stay strong.

I recall now that he told me a while back he has to learn how not to wear his emotions on his sleeve... maybe this is where this was born.

I have emotions, and I wear them, they come forth, I cannot help it, but this place is a wonderful place for me to express it.

Thank you all for letting me express my feelings here....

http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/4.gif (broken link)

Robyn

Old 11-05-2007, 05:38 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
All I can add is....

STAY STRONG and LIVE and LOVE WELL......!

Old 11-05-2007, 05:40 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,929 times
Hi, Everybody.....

Robyn, The "stay strong" thing is probably just that "hang in there...Daddy will make everything all right" crap.

It may also include the children not telling any authority person what they think and feel. Somewhere, deep down in his psyche, he may know that he's been a rotten husband/father. He denies it to himself and others, but he may know that some things will not sound good to others outside of the family unit. Perhaps he is encouraging them to lie by omission.

All you can do is encourage them to tell the truth all the time. You can't counter what their father is telling them directly. It sets up a middle ground for the kids. They don't need to be in a position to determine who is the parent to follow.

They need thrid-party intervention asap. They don't need to 'stay strong' in order to protect an abuser.....if, indeed, that is involved. MsV's post was smack on target.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:41 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
All I can add is....

STAY STRONG and LIVE and LOVE WELL......!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships