Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
What about Bertha? Just wondering....for I know one who is available!

JOKING!! But you are all talking about the connotation that names give off, and they usually have either a positive or a negative connotation depending upon our own experiences with that name or how the media has portrayed it, or that it is just not popular anymore. I use "Bertha" when I teach this term and usually begin by asking a male student if he has a gf, and if he does not, I tell him that I have someone in another class that he may like. He of course, asks what her name is, and when I say "Bertha" he and his classmates laugh and go ewwwww! And why? Due to the media as in the past, that name was almost revered. This name has a definite negative emotions attached to it, and this is why parents need to be sooooo careful in naming their children. And I read this year that New Zealand now has a name dept. attached to the birth certificate section that will deny certain names such as Lucifer. (and there was more than one who wanted it!) I mean, come on parents!!!!

Names do define us and often we grow into our name either positively or negatively... I mean who could NOT realize that one of the richest women in the TX in the 1800's remained unmarried? Her name was Ima Hogg. and had been voted as having one of the most unfortunate baby names in America.
No kidding "Bertha", may be one of the must maligned female names of the last century. Ive only met one younger person named Bertha and I though she was kidding when she told me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 12:02 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
As a kid the name 'Rachel' was usually attached to rather unattractive girls. Because of that the name had a stigma with me. Many, many years later I met a 'Rachel' (not the friends character) who was one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen; no more stigma.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
My daughter is dating a guy with the same first name as one of her ex's and it was such a turn off she called him by a nickname for 3 months before he called her out on it. She can say it now but I don't put much stock it the relationship..

My mother HATED the name Lee and told me so several times when I was grown up and asking me to promise to never name my children that. I have no idea why.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Does anyone else have this thing with names when looking a partner?

The name Stephanie or any variation of that name is an instant no go. I have yet to meet someone with that name that has a good disposition.
Yolanda is one for me. Never met a Yolanda who wasnt ugly. Also, chicks with apostrophes in their names as well usually mean - BLECH!!! Unless they are from some exotic local.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
I dated several Sarahs but I eventually married a Diana. I stayed away from Carrie because I had a bad relationship with one.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:27 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
A name that I don't like would not be a deal breaker for me. It's not as though the person chose his own name!

Not everyone grows into the stereotype associated with a particular name. I've known some folks with horrible sounding or downright bizarre, made-up names who were amazing people.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 PM

Ladies, I would definitely steer clear of someone with this name.

Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop Arrested | Photos - ABC News

Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Yolanda is one for me. Never met a Yolanda who wasnt ugly. Also, chicks with apostrophes in their names as well usually mean - BLECH!!! Unless they are from some exotic local.
Opposite here. Two cousins and a co-worker named Yolanda. All attractive! Sierra had a good one "Gertrude"

Old 01-09-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Opposite here. Two cousins and a co-worker named Yolanda. All attractive! Sierra had a good one "Gertrude"
What about Horance?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
I knew a girl who got berated because she was dating a guy named Harry.

I've always had issues with Dave's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships