Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2012, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Oxford, England
13,032 posts, read 24,549,222 times
Reputation: 20164

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I know what I am talking about. Show me any woman (who is not married to an invalid), who can beat her husband at:

Arm wrestling
Pull Ups
Push Ups

Again, I exclude cardio activity.
Actually when I met now Hubby 23 years ago I was stronger and had more stamina than him. I used to beat him at arm wrestling ( he stupidly challenged me and I gave in after months of nagging- he lost-again and again...) and though we never did the push ups and pull ups challenge I am pretty sure I would have demolished him at that too.

He was fit and healthy but without any athletic training ( he never played any sports) and I on the other hand had always been super fit, and incredibly athletic. I went semi pro at skiing, rowed, trekked, use to hang-glide , ice hockey , swimming, horse riding, etc... Basically I was about as fit as you could get. And I could certainly lift heavier loads than him. Especially on my back.

And I never looked bulky either or muscly. I was toned and fit but not overly so by any stretch of the imagination.

And I never once took any steroids. My legs and back in particular used to be extremely strong and though he often try to overpower me horsing around he never managed it once. It used to really frustrate him. I could also out-row any non rowers I knew.

Women can be stronger than men , it depends on the level of fitness of both parties. Yes all things equal generally a man will be stronger than a woman but a normally fit young guy and a super fit young female are not always what people expect in terms of strength.

Of course now I have had health problems for years and I am a weakling but I like to remind him occasionally that I used to have the upper hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2012, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Gone
1,011 posts, read 1,253,195 times
Reputation: 3589
My bf was skinny and small. I coud lift and throw him to the wind but of course I did not. Actually skinny guy in bed is lot of fun (I do not mean sex). Sometimes I miss him just because of his size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there...
3,663 posts, read 8,633,544 times
Reputation: 3750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I know what I am talking about. Show me any woman (who is not married to an invalid), who can beat her husband at:

Arm wrestling
Pull Ups
Push Ups

Again, I exclude cardio activity.
Men and women come in all shapes and sizes, if you think that there is absolutely ZERO women who can beat a ANY man, in arm wrestling, pull up or push ups, you are INCORRECT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 11:01 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
650 posts, read 1,805,663 times
Reputation: 621
Obviously there are very strong women out there. Just look at some of those women weight lifting competitions. I'm sure any one of them is stronger than me and can "manhandle" me every which way. It's just rare that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Utah
1,429 posts, read 2,290,906 times
Reputation: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Obviously there are very strong women out there. Just look at some of those women weight lifting competitions. I'm sure any one of them is stronger than me and can "manhandle" me every which way. It's just rare that's all.
They have to be injected with testosterone to become that strong since to get the muscles needed you have to have a certain level of that in your body which women are incapable of producing naturally.

I think the OP's original post implies naturally powerful only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Mammoth Lakes, CA
3,360 posts, read 8,355,056 times
Reputation: 8595
Exactly. We are not talking about testosterone-enhanced women, which all female bodybuilders are.

Again, people are misquoting what I said. Sure, an incredibly strong 30 year old woman could do more pull ups than a morbidly obese man, or a man undergoing chemo. That's a skewed sampling.

99.9% of healthy 50 year old men are many times stronger in the upper body than 99.9% of extremely strong 25 year old women. That's just a fact. The average 50 year old man has a testosterone level of 600. The average woman has a T. level of 50. See the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 11:56 AM
 
85 posts, read 138,169 times
Reputation: 184
My husband is stronger than me but I'm pretty strong for a woman, esp one of my size.(2nd degree black belt). He likes to pretend that I'm stronger then him, he gets a big kick out of it (you connect the dots here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,645 posts, read 38,514,730 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Actually when I met now Hubby 23 years ago I was stronger and had more stamina than him. I used to beat him at arm wrestling ( he stupidly challenged me and I gave in after months of nagging- he lost-again and again...) and though we never did the push ups and pull ups challenge I am pretty sure I would have demolished him at that too.

He was fit and healthy but without any athletic training ( he never played any sports) and I on the other hand had always been super fit, and incredibly athletic. I went semi pro at skiing, rowed, trekked, use to hang-glide , ice hockey , swimming, horse riding, etc... Basically I was about as fit as you could get. And I could certainly lift heavier loads than him. Especially on my back.

And I never looked bulky either or muscly. I was toned and fit but not overly so by any stretch of the imagination.

And I never once took any steroids. My legs and back in particular used to be extremely strong and though he often try to overpower me horsing around he never managed it once. It used to really frustrate him. I could also out-row any non rowers I knew.

Women can be stronger than men , it depends on the level of fitness of both parties. Yes all things equal generally a man will be stronger than a woman but a normally fit young guy and a super fit young female are not always what people expect in terms of strength.

Of course now I have had health problems for years and I am a weakling but I like to remind him occasionally that I used to have the upper hand.
Having been involved in sports at a high level, I can tell you that there are women who are extremely, extremely strong out there, and some of them are stronger than the vast majority of men. The ones I refer to are women who are professional or Olympic-caliber athletes. Rowers, some track athletes such as throwers, martial artists, basketball and volleyball players do tend to be more physically formidable and stronger than most people, period.

I married a Division I college basketball player who also had track background and was very impressed with her strength. However, she was not stronger than me when we met and has never been stronger than me. I would estimate that she's (was) probably in the top 5% to 10% of women (on the planet) in terms of raw natural strength and would have been stronger than a fair percentage of men. I consider myself, at my prime, to have been in the top 20-25% of men on the planet in terms of raw natural strength.

Last edited by Lucario; 01-09-2012 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 07:58 AM
 
Location: in area code 919 & from 716
927 posts, read 1,451,915 times
Reputation: 458
I recall an Indian gal who womped the butter out of several big biker types ...
They weren't to slick after that

... but all in all ... if you are okay with a stronger woman and she's okay with it - so be it! Let it ride!

in my younger days I was seen as a small weaker type

... until they were surprised by an unexpected turn of events from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,323 posts, read 15,119,324 times
Reputation: 4956
When it comes to things like lifting, pushups, pullups, running etc... I outperform my husband every time. In an actual fight (sparring), he wins hands down because of his extensive martial arts training. I do a lot more physical activity than him (such as racking my servers), so it's completely understandable that I'm more physically fit and stronger.

Though having a physically stronger female is pretty rare, what isn't entirely rare is for guys to be with a woman who has a stronger personality. To me, that makes for a more interesting case study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top