Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 03:32 PM

168 posts, read 338,489 times

Advertisements

So I was inspired to share this with you all after reading a thread about couples sharing facebook accounts. I know email isn't the same thing, but it reminded me of something that happened to me.

My aunt, who is not very computer savvy, got married later in life to a very nice man she had dated when she was younger and who recently came back into her life. When she relocated to where he was living, she asked me for copies of the resume I had done for her so her hubby could help her update it. She said she and her hubby had an email address and I could send it to her there. Her hubby checked email regularly and replied thanking me for the resumes. The following year she invited me to visit her in her new home. I graciously accepted and we picked a weekend that worked for both of us. I emailed her my itinerary since they would be picking me up from the airport. It was a cheerful, generic email. Something like hey Johnsons I'm ready to visit you guys in sunny Florida; here's my flight info. Looking forward to the visit. Her husband wrote back and said he would see me soon and that I should bring a resume since there are a lot of governments jobs down there. I thought it was nice since I was considering relocating but didn't respond because I wasn't really interested in moving all the way to Florida. Several months after my visit my aunt stopped speaking to me. She actually hung up the phone on me. Shortly after that her husband died. Months later she finally called and accused me of sleeping with her husband during that visit and a subsequent trip she thinks I made to Florida. She said I know you did, it's all on the computer.

What a disaster. Later, after speaking with another relative, I learned that my aunt's husband was maybe not the sweet guy we all thought he was and she should have checked more into him before marrying him. She dated him a long time ago but they were kids and he had been married and divorced since then while she was very religious and hadn't dated at all, though she was in early 50s. Apparently he liked younger women and when she went looking through his things, she found my email. She took it the wrong way. She probably never read my email, only he did. So looking back at the email, it seemed like evidence of an affair. We haven't spoken in nearly a year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 PM

I have a good friend who I found out recently shares her email with her husband and children. She said her husband has no interest in email and she likes to keep an eye on what her kids are doing. I felt so embarrassed because many times we have discussed personal things via email and I had no idea that her husband AND her teenage sons had access. She said it is more of a family email. I said but it's your name and I've been emailing you here for over 5 years! Plus her husband gets that email on his bberry. I have no idea why. I told her she needs to get a family email address for the teachers, coaches, etc.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:55 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,016,050 times
I'm sorry your aunt made up this huge crazy scenario...that's terrible. And to be accused of something like that without knowing about for some time...hang in there. It is interesting though how so many of us can use technology for our useful needs, but some folks either can't master it well enough or they use it a little too well.

A couple of years before my mother passed away, she and I would IM and email frequently. My brother and sisters had no idea b/c they had never tried. I had some good convos with her and when I shared that with my siblings, they were utterly shocked mom knew how to do any of that. Anyway, I am sorry you're having to deal with this nonsense!!

Old 01-12-2012, 04:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Oh my gosh! That's terrible! Unfortunately, sometimes people have other issues and misconstrue what they're reading. I really don't understand the need to share Facebook and email addresses. They are all free so it's not like anyone has to save money on them. It's not about hiding things from spouses or kids but sometimes one may have a conversation with someone that is personal. A friend may confide something in another friend. My husband's cousin shares her FB with her daughter. Ugh, it's so annoying. The lame posts, horrible spelling, etc. She's 16. She's old enough to get her own FB profile lol. Anyway, I'm sorry you have to go through that. I can't imagine how you must have felt when she said that. IMO, she may just be angry about what she found out about her husband and is just taking it out on you. I don't think that in her heart she feels that you and he had an affair.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:36 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
The guy is dead, why rake him over the coals now. Sounds like nothing inappropriate were in the emails either.

She is just insecure.

Why does it always seem the religious school marm type women are the most judgmental,vindictive, and spiteful...... hmmmm

Old 01-13-2012, 06:55 AM

She called me everything but a child of God, said I'm worse than a Judas. I did notice some strange things about his job/travel/schedule when I visited and it is possible he was up to something but NOT with me. I met and hung out with his daughter while I was there and I think even if he did dirt, he would draw the line at family.

And the thought NEVER crossed my mind. Was just happy auntie finally had a man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships