Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about women being referred to as 'females'?
Not under any circumstances 5 7.35%
Depends on the context 15 22.06%
No problem with it 48 70.59%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
We aren't called White Americans because we don't need a politically correct term and since white people in American history have made every possible term for a black person into a negative way to address someone we are shopping for a nice way to refer to someone who is black without pissing anyone off.

That is just the long and short of it I think.

I am Native American ( Sioux ), English and Scottish myself for what that matters.
I don't think that's really the case. The term "African-American" is usually used to denote the descendents of American slaves, who didn't know where in Africa they were from. I've seen people whose families came from Nigeria in the 70s refer to themselves as "Nigerian-Americans" because they know their heritage. In the same way, most white people in America know their own heritage, hence referring to themselves as "Irish-" or "Italian-Americans."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 12:00 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,683 times
Well if the shoe fits.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,296,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't think that's really the case. The term "African-American" is usually used to denote the descendents of American slaves, who didn't know where in Africa they were from. I've seen people whose families came from Nigeria in the 70s refer to themselves as "Nigerian-Americans" because they know their heritage. In the same way, most white people in America know their own heritage, hence referring to themselves as "Irish-" or "Italian-Americans."
Excellent points!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
no I don't like it for one why aren't white people in america not considered european or asian or african american as well. Caucasian people originate from all these places yet we don't reffer to them that way just call them white. If they're white americans then why aren't black people black americans? That's why I preffer the definition black...
I wondered this too before the first time I visited the USA. I remember I was with a group of visitors from other countries. We would introduce ourselves and say we were from so you would hear their introduction and then “…I am Chinese…I am English…I am Laotian…I am Egyptian…” but when it was the turn of the Americans they didn’t simply say “I am American” but they had to come up with all these percentages “…I am half French but 9 % Russian with a touch of English and, uuuumh, well, my grandmother had some Spanish in her so…and, uuuuh, I am also…” some people were rolling their eyes up. I wondered why they just couldn’t simply say “I am American” but then again I am not sure if “American” is a race really.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I wondered this too before the first time I visited the USA. I remember I was with a group of visitors from other countries. We would introduce ourselves and say we were from so you would hear their introduction and then “…I am Chinese…I am English…I am Laotian…I am Egyptian…” but when it was the turn of the Americans they didn’t simply say “I am American” but they had to come up with all these percentages “…I am half French but 9 % Russian with a touch of English and, uuuumh, well, my grandmother had some Spanish in her so…and, uuuuh, I am also…” some people were rolling their eyes up. I wondered why they just couldn’t simply say “I am American” but then again I am not sure if “American” is a race really.
The word American in that context denotes someone from America as opposed to someone who is English and is from Britain.

That is the difference.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:06 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
I wondered why they just couldn’t simply say “I am American” but then again I am not sure if “American” is a race really.
It's not. There really isn't a ubiquitous American culture, so a lot of Americans identify with the places their families emigrated from. Someone who grew up in Minnesota with a Scandinavian background is going to have a different American experience than someone who's Irish Catholic from Boston, or Chinese from San Francisco or Cuban from Miami. The language, the food, the traditions, will all be a little bit different.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-12-2012 at 12:17 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 12:16 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,360 times
If you feel so strongly about some racial/ethnic background that you don't want to identify yourself simply as "American", you should move back to the country of origin. I find it extremely laughable that 99% of "African Americans" have stronger ties to the North American continent than most other groups put together.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
I am Native American ( Sioux ), English and Scottish myself for what that matters.
To be correct, you are an American. Your heritage/ancestry is etc. etc. etc.

Likewise anybody who was born in the US or has become an American citizen is American. In that context there is no such animal as an Afro-American or an Irish-American or an Italian-American.

Oh well, time to feed my girls!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
To be correct, you are an American. Your heritage/ancestry is etc. etc. etc.

Likewise anybody who was born in the US or has become an American citizen is American. In that context there is no such animal as an Afro-American or an Irish-American or an Italian-American.

Oh well, time to feed my girls!
I agree. I am an American.

Although does that change if my people were starved, murdered, raped and obliterated from the continent except for some poor folks who are still freezing to death on reservations?

I am happy to accept the freedoms that America gives and I would be happy to fight for my country but I know that there are many Native Americans of various tribes who take serious offense to being called Native American. They prefer to be called by their tribe names ect.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's not. There really isn't a ubiquitous American culture, so a lot of Americans identify with the places their families emigrated from. Someone who grew up in Minnesota with a Scandinavian background is going to have a different American experience than someone who's Irish Catholic from Boston, or Chinese from San Francisco or Cuban from Miami.
Different experience, yes, but different race as well. When I have visited other countries I have noticed people are just a bit different whatever the location. For example, people from the most southern part of Japan (Okinawa) have darker skin while people from the northern part (Hokkaido) have pail skin, yet, both are still Japanese and share the same culture: language, food in general, house style, etc. You will have a Chinese from San Francisco, a Cuban from Miami, a Puerto Rican from New York, etc. But each one of them would be just that: Chinese, Cuban, and Puerto Rican. Australia and UK also have a melting pot of different cultures, yet, I don’t see those Caucasians go “Well, I have 30% of this race and 4.9% of that race plus I think my grandfather was half of that other race and…” no, they are Australian or English, as simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships