Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 01:04 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
IMO it's going to be a hard sell. The equivalent of living at home with your parents, if your parents were much older and needed much more attention.
People usually live at home with their parents because they are broke. That's not the case with me. Also the thread is like 7 months old, and I have been dating pretty steady since I started the thread, even though I haven't met the right girl yet. So far only one girl was bothered by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 01:10 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
People usually live at home with their parents because they are broke. That's not the case with me. Also the thread is like 7 months old, and I have been dating pretty steady since I started the thread, even though I haven't met the right girl yet. So far only one girl was bothered by it.
Dating is one thing. I know I (and probably most women) would feel uncomfortable going to your home and having your grandmother present (sex will probably be out of the question or extremely awkward).

Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 PM

3,997 posts, read 5,012,780 times
Quote:
Dating is one thing. I know I (and probably most women) would feel uncomfortable going to your home and having your grandmother present (sex will probably be out of the question or extremely awkward).
From my standpoint (which isn't your dating demo, but still), I'd go out with you in a heartbeat. You're responsible and you care...two bigs things. And you haven't mentioned that grandma is senile so I suspect convos with her would be interesting...and fun...she'd probably tell stories on you of when you were a baby. More info for me!

ANd seriously, if I was attracted to you and really liked you, stealing kisses while grandma's asleep...what's wrong with that? If the situation arises (literally), then you'd just have to be creative. Could be a little exciting trying to figure out how to sneak it...just sayin'...

Old 08-08-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
So you don't like to meet the family of people you date? I can understand how people wouldn't want to sit there and hang out with grandma all night, but that's not the case. I have separate "wing" to the house with my own living room, bathroom, bedroom etc. that she never enters.

Anyway though this is all MOOT because my family and I have been discussing moving her in with my uncle and his new wife so I can go be young It makes sense but it would mean selling her house that she has lived in for like 50 years so it will be a difficult change for her. Tough choice!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:17 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
So you don't like to meet the family of people you date? I can understand how people wouldn't want to sit there and hang out with grandma all night, but that's not the case. I have separate "wing" to the house with my own living room, bathroom, bedroom etc. that she never enters.

Anyway though this is all MOOT because my family and I have been discussing moving her in with my uncle and his new wife so I can go be young It makes sense but it would mean selling her house that she has lived in for like 50 years so it will be a difficult change for her. Tough choice!
Aww let the poor old thing have her house as long as she can. Any woman that isn't ok with grandma is selfish.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,645 times
I think most women would respect and admire that you're taking care of your grandmother.

However, at the same time I think that despite their admiration some of those women may not want to date you anyway because of you taking care of your grandma...regardless of the reasons why and the living arrangement. They simply prefer to date and have relationships with men who are on their own and not taking care of anyone else. This doesn't diminish those women nor does it diminish you. It's merely an irreconcilable incompatibility.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
I think most women would respect and admire that you're taking care of your grandmother.

However, at the same time I think that despite their admiration some of those women may not want to date you anyway because of you taking care of your grandma...regardless of the reasons why and the living arrangement. They simply prefer to date and have relationships with men who are on their own and not taking care of anyone else. This doesn't diminish those women nor does it diminish you. It's merely an irreconcilable incompatibility.
Yeah that's completely understandable. Thanks for that perspective.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
At least you have a good way to weed out the losers. If they have a problem with grandma, get lost!

I am around your age and haven't had grandparents alive for at least 15 years. To still have your grandma and to have a good relationship with her...well, you are lucky. If any woman can't or won't see it that way, she isn't worth your time. I say enjoy and be thankful for every moment you have with your grandma, and the right one will come along when the time is right.

As for the chick who doesn't like old people...she could really be missing out on some great stories! Her loss. My husband's parents have some friends who are in their 90's (they live on their own and take care of themselves), and I always enjoy when we get to visit with them. What an incredible life they have led!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:21 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Depends on how you live, if you do good for yourself then I don't think you have a problem. If you wouldn't be able to afford to live alone if you didn't have her , well that might be a problem.

Fact is, burgler09 just summed it up for you.

Everything else -- just be up-front with it. If you're in a good position on your own BUT taking care of your grandmother, then you are definitely in a position to be dating -- DEFINITELY. There will be hiccups and inconveniences, but any woman who can't find it in herself to accept and work around that with you would not find it within herself to work with you on other difficulties. Lose her like some funk you just found beneath your thumbnail.

If you're NOT in a good position on your own... then you're not yet ready for dating, lonely as you may otherwise feel. Sorry about that, I know from personal experience loneliness SUCKS; but before you can begin inviting others into your life you have to be able to stand on your own -- period.

EDIT: I read on and see you're in a good position. Ergo, go with the bolded portion above.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:18 PM

400 posts, read 566,084 times
Quote:
So after a nasty break up with the woman I was planning on spending my life with I swore off women for a long while. I have been happily single, just working on bettering myself, and I finally feel like it's time start dating again.

I think I am a pretty good catch. I have my life in order at least. But my concern is that I take care of my grandma, and she lives with me. I do all of her cooking/cleaning/shopping/laundry etc., take her to church, and to her doctor appointments and what not. Basically all of things that you would do for a child.

I'm just wondering what women will think about this living situation? Do you think it'll kill potential relationships for me? How long would you wait to explain the situation?
I think that's hot. Seriously as long as you know how to get alone with the lady when needed. Being and awesome family man gets 1000 points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships