Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtownKeith View Post
Let me just clear up a few misconceptions here, the girl I met and took me around Bangkok IS NOT a hooker as so many of you tastefully put it. She has an office job , she moved to Bangkok from her home town in Northern Thailand and sends money to her family. Many of you have a warped and ignorant opinion of Thailand. I don't have time to set the record straight on everything you've got wrong I've got a busy day.
I think a lot of you gals are bothered that an American man has sworn you off due to your unrealistic expectations of your dates these days. A lot of posts have been negative and downright hostile at the prospect of someone finding happiness outside this culture, some even find it so preposterous as to suggest I made the whole thing up! My next vacation can't come soon enough!
So you added this information which you hadn't included in your first post; I just hope that it can be verified. However, besides, that, I am not sure how you can still claim she is "innocent", for having a child out of wedlock does not gel. Plus do you know under what circumstances and what age (do your TRULY know hers?) ? AND is this a "package" deal?

And in regards to the second item I bolded, I don't think you would have be lambasted if you approached this matter a whole other way. Many people go abroad and sometimes they FIND LOVE when they weren't even looking, but your intent of "I'm goin' to git me a forein' woman!" because all American women are LOSERS, FAT, DEMANDING! is why you got the response that you did. How you approached this whole thing is what is getting so many riled up, I think.

And as far a finding happiness outside one's own culture, all I have to say is that only YOU can make yourself happy. Others and object can do this, but not for the long haul. You are infatuated at the moment and excited with the differences of the women and the two cultures. It is a "heady rush- type" feeling and I KNOW FIRST HAND about it. You need to spend more time with her and her country and her child before you can claim to be truly happy...and not just "vacation" time. I have found love outside of my culture, but I lived in the country and understand the people and where my man is coming from; and after 3 years of knowing him, I KNOW that I love him and he makes me happy when we are together.

I think you really need to look at all of this more realistically. I am not saying that this cannot be the ONE, but....

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 01-14-2012 at 12:01 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 11:35 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
loads of westerners are in love with the "I'm here to please you, my lord and master" type woman...those women are hardly found in western countries.
Hmm... I find it kind of curious that women from non-western cultures would be portrayed as subservient/desperate to marry men for cash/personal gain.

Previously, I always had the impression that those non-western cultures, especially those such as south or east Asian countries were very conservative, "honour and shame" cultures, with strict norms like family arranged marriages, parents even willing to kill over their kids marrying outsiders of the race/religion etc.

I remember actually being kind of surprised when I first found out that "lustful" men go to these places and Thailand would be such a place for sex tourism etc.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:37 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
When you choose to make a lifelong commitment to someone you do not love and who does not truly love you, you are cheating yourself out of one of the greatest joys life has to offer--the amazing bond that two people share when their hearts and minds are equally and singularly engaged with each others' as they build a life together.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:43 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
You'd get the SAME reaction in an American bar if you glued 10 $100 dollar bills to your forehead.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:54 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
When you choose to make a lifelong commitment to someone you do not love and who does not truly love you, you are cheating yourself out of one of the greatest joys life has to offer--the amazing bond that two people share when their hearts and minds are equally and singularly engaged with each others' as they build a life together.
This so makes me wanna vomit. Love is nothing more than a business these days. You might as well try and find someone who can keep you satisified over a few years rather than for life.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:56 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
You'd get the SAME reaction in an American bar if you glued 10 $100 dollar bills to your forehead.
A friend of mine used to wear wedding ring to attract women who only dated married men..I will say it worked quite a few times.. One woman professed her undying love for him and wanted him to leave his wife but when she found out he wasn't married the game was over and she left him..

Being myself and my warped way of thinking I don't think many men would have a problem with a nice smiling caring woman who acted like she loved him but only married him for money.. Better than a coming home to a nag who won't shut up who let's him know how unhappy she is all day.

Heck I could put up with a ugly woman if the beer is cold and the lovin is good. When people ask if that's my wife I would just say Na man that's just my pet Gorilla.. and bring me a cold one too when you go to the fridge. I just wouldn't let anyone drink more than 9 beers because then she might start looking good to them and they will find out she's a ugly woman who can order pizza.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:59 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
This so makes me wanna vomit. Love is nothing more than a business these days. You might as well try and find someone who can keep you satisified over a few years rather than for life.
I feel sad for you that you believe this. Love is the greatest thing there is. I hope hope hope one day you find this out for yourself.

To the OP - well, after I spent the whole morning crying in my cereal because you chose a foreign woman over us American women - all I can is best of luck to you! I've been happily married to an American man for 6 years and counting. We have love, respect, laughter, trust, communication, and everything else needed to have a successful marriage. I hope you find that as well. You'll also find that when you are truly happy - you lose the need for revenge and for insulting all the people who you feel done you wrong.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Wow, what a cynical man you are. No wonder you find it so hard to attract a nice woman. Such negativity is very unattractive.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:09 PM

499 posts, read 580,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtownKeith View Post
Well I'm pretty run down from so much traveling. Safe to say I will not be looking forward to another harrowing flight to Bangkok but I am definatley going back!

There was a lot that went on but let me just give you some of the highlights?

I went there to meet a handful of Thai ladies that were open to the idea of marrying a western man. I figured if American gals don't appreciate a stable professional man than maybe a foreign one would!

Before I met with these ladies I set out to a few spots in Bangkok my buddy suggested. Well let me just say the American bar experience has NOTHING on the Thai bar universe!! I received plenty of attention and ego stroking from the moment I walked in , beautiful young girls not only smiling and making eye contact with me but walking straight up and starting a conversation. Well as best they could with their limited english skills but we got along great! I consumed plenty of cheap great beer and talked with several girls and lets just say I had a great couple of nights!!
This was exactly what I needed and boosted my confidence levels, I felt renewed and wore a smile on my face 24/7!

When it came time meet my prospective brides we sat and talked at a pre arranged time and place. I hit it off with one gal and she agreed to take me around and be my personal tour guide. We saw a lot of amazing sights and she helped me out with buying souveniours without being ripped off. I tell ya being a westerner in Bangkok you get lots of attention from shop keeps! But anyway, we spent some quality time together she is sweet and innocent and has a 12 year old daughter living elsewhere with relatives. We didn't have a lot of time to get acquainted but we are keeping in touch and I plan on returning as soon as I get more vacation time! I'm optimistic about our future.

In conclusion I have to say never having traveled abroad before that women in Asia have a COMPLETELY different set of priorities than American gals. They are approachable , transparent, very easy on the eyes, do not play games - I am sold on the idea of marrying a Thai woman and only regret that I did not think of this 15 years ago!
They are approachable because they are looking for a soft touch, which they obviously found in you. Transparent? You must be joking! Just wait 'til all the relatives hang on in there. Very pretty I must admit but don't believe that they don't play games. The ONE you like already has a 12 year old daughter (no husband) so what does that say about her morals for an Eastern Lady? I lived out that way for a number of years and there is no way a Thai man would marry her with a child already. They want 'untouched' goods. You're just a sucker and they'll take you for every penny you have and more. I wish you luck and you're going to need it

Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM

499 posts, read 580,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Oh please, do you really need to be explained that they welcome you because you're their passport to a better life? Because you have the money and means that the vast majority of Thai men don't, and so they won't mind if deep down they feel total physical repulsion because survival goes first?

Sigh...
I so agree with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships