Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 AM

620 posts, read 1,746,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
What exactly are the things you feel that a woman should be responsible for in your home and why?

Is it just the cleaning and cooking? What about things like laundry, gardening and other things regarding the general upkeep of your home?

Do you feel that it is realistic for a woman in this day and age to be expected to do those things? What if the woman works as well? Does that have any bearing on your views?

Would you rather have your woman quit her job and stay at home to take care of the house if you had the choice and she had no say in the matter?

It seems that in quite a few threads that if a man suggests that a woman should keep a clean house and do the cooking that they are labelled as sexist, unrealistic pigs.

I for one ENJOY cooking and keeping my home clean.

Just interested in the guys opinions only please so ladies feel free to chime in but don't bash the men for their honest opinions please or this thread will go downhill faster than Jack and Jill!
In our family things are split 50/50. We both do the laundry. My wife cooks, I do the dishes. I maintain the lawn she takes on the garden etc.

We never discussed how to divide, it just came naturally for us. We are team with household chores and with responsibilities regarding our children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I agree.

No matter who stays at home, the man or the woman, if their SO works then they shoulder the main burden of the housework. If they both work they both share the load.
I agree.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:10 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
If the women doesn't work, then hell yeah she better be at home cooking and cleaning. But if she works a full time job then you split the duties until your kids are old enough, then you make them do all the chores.
I agree with this...however (there is always a however)

When my kids were younger and they were all home, sometimes it was impossible to get certain chores done (we have 4 very close in age). My priority was the kids, not cleaning. I cleaned up along the way but some of the main tasks had to wait until the weekend or until he came home, at which time he participated.

Like hell I was going to be taking care of kids all day, only to have him come home and sit on his ass while I cooked, cleaned up from dinner, washed the floors, cleaned windows, scrubbed a shower..etc.
When he walked in the door, he helped.

Now that they are all in school, I do the interior, the cooking and all the errands and he does the exterior. I will rake leaves but anything requiring a power tool is his job (because he likes to play with his power tools).

Last edited by *Sixy*; 01-16-2012 at 05:21 AM..

Old 01-16-2012, 05:25 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Men generally like to play with tools, yes.

Take that however you want.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Men generally like to play with tools, yes.

Take that however you want.
LOL, I figured someone would say that.

He's very protective of his tools though...lol. When we built our fence he "let" me cut the pickets for it. That was a big step for him!

Old 01-16-2012, 06:16 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
LOL, I figured someone would say that.

He's very protective of his tools though...lol. When we built our fence he "let" me cut the pickets for it. That was a big step for him!
I got a pink tool belt for Christmas.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:42 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
My wife would be bored out of her gourd being a SAHM.

The only duty around the house that is gender-exclusive is pushing the lawnmower. We have a steep front lawn. I cook and I'm capable of throwing in a load of clothes.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My wife would be bored out of her gourd being a SAHM.

My husband couldn't do it either. The few times he's had to take over for me (surgery or when I'm away) he can't wait to get back to his job. Not because he's bored, but because he can't lock himself in an office and escape. He gets frazzled with the activity when the kids are home and he's not the most patient person.

We had decided before having children that we would not put them in daycare unless absolutely necessary. Thankfully he had the bigger paycheck so it was a no-brainer that I would stay home.

The only duty around the house that is gender-exclusive is pushing the lawnmower. We have a steep front lawn. I cook and I'm capable of throwing in a load of clothes.
Fixing the car is gender exclusive here, simply because I lack the know-how. I just say "it's making this funny noise" and he's on it.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 AM

77 posts, read 170,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
What exactly are the things you feel that a woman should be responsible for in your home and why?

Is it just the cleaning and cooking? What about things like laundry, gardening and other things regarding the general upkeep of your home?

Do you feel that it is realistic for a woman in this day and age to be expected to do those things? What if the woman works as well? Does that have any bearing on your views?

Would you rather have your woman quit her job and stay at home to take care of the house if you had the choice and she had no say in the matter?

It seems that in quite a few threads that if a man suggests that a woman should keep a clean house and do the cooking that they are labelled as sexist, unrealistic pigs.

I for one ENJOY cooking and keeping my home clean.

Just interested in the guys opinions only please so ladies feel free to chime in but don't bash the men for their honest opinions please or this thread will go downhill faster than Jack and Jill!
There are no things that are genuinely "women-only" or "men-only" things.
Its partly what the children have been taught by their mothers while growing up and what those children have seen in society generally.

Couples have to talk about this before they make any commitment, like everything else.
Everyone should learn how to do everything (as it will come in handy when you are on your own) and then agree to split everything 50-50 and periodically, swap duties or make allowances for illness, tiredness, schedules, travel, etc.

If you really love someone, you don't let them suffer or do work that you think they should do it because its "men's work" or "women's work".

Old 01-16-2012, 08:13 AM

77 posts, read 170,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I agree with this...however (there is always a however)

When my kids were younger and they were all home, sometimes it was impossible to get certain chores done (we have 4 very close in age). My priority was the kids, not cleaning. I cleaned up along the way but some of the main tasks had to wait until the weekend or until he came home, at which time he participated.

Like hell I was going to be taking care of kids all day, only to have him come home and sit on his ass while I cooked, cleaned up from dinner, washed the floors, cleaned windows, scrubbed a shower..etc.
When he walked in the door, he helped.

Now that they are all in school, I do the interior, the cooking and all the errands and he does the exterior. I will rake leaves but anything requiring a power tool is his job (because he likes to play with his power tools).
People think that having several children can be manged by one person, but mostly, its not conducive for a good and healthy life.
We no longer have extended families that live with us and who contributed in the past with helping to raise after multiple children, in all sorts of ways.
Many women today who are SAHMs with more than 2-3 children, think they can be 'supermons" but end up in with a life they never envisaged because it takes more than 1 person to do all the things that are required to raise children.

IMO, women should stop trying to be superstars and resist the pressure to have more kids once they have a couple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships