Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I've heard of other scenarios just like that. IMO, cohabitation brings all the disadvantages of singlehood and marriage to women, and all the advantages - to men; hence, men love those limbos.
That is SO true! A very accurate statement IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:30 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
The advice I gave you is MORE important than your life just becoz I'm an unpaid, unthanked, unrepped, un-repcommented and bored i-clairvoyant
OR, there may be some posters who have some experience and perspective in the area. Obviously, internet advice (or any advice) should be taken with a grain of salt....

Old 01-18-2012, 10:41 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
OR, there may be some posters who have some experience and perspective in the area. Obviously, internet advice (or any advice) should be taken with a grain of salt....
Too much sodium

Old 01-18-2012, 10:47 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,675 times
Chances are, you caught him so off guard, he's in shock. Some guys view this as their privledge to ask a woman to marry, maybe he's feeling inadequate with himself, becasue you felt like you had to ask? I don't blame you for being true to yourself, always, first and foremost be true to thine on self.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:16 PM

28 posts, read 74,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves_lillies View Post
We discussed that...and he (almost 40) does not want children of his own...he would love to adopt mine, but their father of course is in the picture...and you obviousy have no clue what kind of a man it takes to be with a woman who has children. If you're a man...then he is a better one then you, and if you're a woman...then I HAVE better then you...simple!
You are right I don't know what it takes, I don't care either. Not my life story, thank God.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
I believe in marriage, but I also don't think it's the end all. Why does it have to be marriage or nothing at all for some people?

If the relationship is good and you love each other, why not just leave it be (particularly if one person doesn't want to get married)?

Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I believe in marriage, but I also don't think it's the end all. Why does it have to be marriage or nothing at all for some people?

If the relationship is good and you love each other, why not just leave it be (particularly if one person doesn't want to get married)?
I for one already explained it above. If I don't get any of the benefits of a marriage, then I want to keep the benefits of being single. I've no desire to be in a no-benefit situation.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
I guess his answer isn't so bad. He wants to think about it...hmmm. I know I would feel a bit let down by that answer, too. But, if your relationship is otherwise good, you shouldn't upset the apple cart, especially since you have kids. I also wouldn't read too much into the so-called fact about how co-habitation makes a later marriage more likely to fail. That myth could be busted if someone did a double blind study and adjusted for all the likely variables no one mentions.

You probably should have discussed marriage a couple of years ago if you thought it was important, though. If you buy a house together, then you have at least one legal tie. Think of yourself as a committed gay couple and see how someone who can't get married might handle the situation.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:57 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I also wouldn't read too much into the so-called fact about how co-habitation makes a later marriage more likely to fail.
It's not a "so-called" fact. It's supported by stats.

Sociological Reasons Not to Live Together

Old 01-18-2012, 10:40 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I for one already explained it above. If I don't get any of the benefits of a marriage, then I want to keep the benefits of being single. I've no desire to be in a no-benefit situation.
What are the benefits of marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships