Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 04:06 AM

591 posts, read 866,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I've always felt like that's something pretty much reserved for the movies. I bring this up because today I got on an elevator with a kinda cute girl and somehow I think we ended up flirting a little bit, I'm not sure if one would call it that but whatever. I thought to myself how it'd be kinda cool to get her number but I didn't wanna be a creepy ass.

So has anyone here ever gotten a number from a woman after very limited interaction in some place like the checkout line or bus stop or whatever?

Yep, my present gf. Only time in my life when I actually asked for a number from someone I just interacted with; it's not my usual way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,852 times
A guy asked for my number at the grocery store once. I was ringing up my stuff at the self checkout and when I turned to put something in my grocery bag, I saw a really cute guy at register right next to mine. I must have given him a funny look b/c we started chatting and we walked together out to the parking lot. When we got to my car, he asked for my number and I gave it to him. He ended up being a jerk. But yes, it does happen.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:24 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I've been in the grocery store checkout line several times when guys have tried to ask me out. Pretty awkward. Especially the time the checkout clerk did it.
Did they offer to cook you dinner?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:30 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I've always felt like that's something pretty much reserved for the movies. I bring this up because today I got on an elevator with a kinda cute girl and somehow I think we ended up flirting a little bit, I'm not sure if one would call it that but whatever. I thought to myself how it'd be kinda cool to get her number but I didn't wanna be a creepy ass.

So has anyone here ever gotten a number from a woman after very limited interaction in some place like the checkout line or bus stop or whatever?
It happened to me twice....and one was in a checkout lane at a grocery store. I'd run into this guy often at the small grocery store by my apartment and we'd nod, say hello and that's about it - until I was in front of him in line and noticed he had one of those 18 roll packages of toilet paper with his stuff and I started giggling and nodded to them and said, "Big weekend planned?" He started laughing then and eventually got my number and we dated for a good length of time.

The other time it was a self serve car wash. I'd already washed it the day before and was only there to get quarters to do my laundry, but our eyes met and the rest was history for 10 years.

I also ran into someone in a grocery aisle I used to know that moved away and came to town to see his son pretty often...he got my number.

I never got a date or was probably approachable from someone in a bar scene, it was always, always regular ordinary places like this. People live and die for that Friday/Saturday night stravagance when what they are really looking for is somewhere at some place in between in their everyday ordinary life.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:40 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I think this kind of thing would only work if you are highly attractive.

There's no way it would work for someone like me. Even women with acne or slightly overweight are repulsed by me. And then these jerks like my dad tell me I'm a good looking guy. It's a bunch of crap.

So, no, I think you have to look like George Clooney or that young attractive guy who did Ides of March with him (can't think of the guy's name) or Timberlake in order for this kind of trick to work.

I don't know what you look like, so I can't say whether it would work for you. I will say that you don't have to be "highly attractive" for it to work, though. I know, because I've been approached by men whom I'd consider average-looking and because they gave good chit-chat, they were successful.

For some reason, it always happened at a salad bar on my lunch hour. Maybe they liked that I was putting something more than three pieces of iceberg and a tomato slice onto my plate.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:45 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,429,514 times
One time this guy who was behind me suddenly offered the cashier to pay for my groceries, then gave me his number. Guys have given me their number just about anywhere you can imagine with the exception of the library() , and the bathroom, for obvious reasons. So, go for it.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:48 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Never did that. Think about it the gal likes you then you do an 180 and become stalker boy. Not a cool impression.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Never did that. Think about it the gal likes you then you do an 180 and become stalker boy. Not a cool impression.
The only time it came off as a stalker is when it was a stalker. The cashier himself took my phone number off my check and called me for personal reasons several times until I called the store mananger and the police...that's not the route to go.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:28 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
The only time it came off as a stalker is when it was a stalker. The cashier himself took my phone number off my check and called me for personal reasons several times until I called the store mananger and the police...that's not the route to go.
Oh, now you tell me!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Oh, now you tell me!
It was a Charles Bronson flick. Can't remember the name of it. The woman and her daughter were going to have their groceries delivered and three guys in the store pulled her address and then they were raped and killed and the rest of the movie ol Charlie was out with a vengence because it was his wife and daughter.

So, I had just moved out into my first apartment and get a call from this psycho who did the same thing - it was a bit creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships