Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,136,713 times

Advertisements

My wife is an accomplished, educated executive for a fortune 100 company(In Chicago). If I told her "A good woman is all about taking care of the home!" there would be quite an animated discussion (In Chicago) around that (And I strongly suspect I would be on the wrong end of it)
Don't get me wrong, she likes Home Depot (In Chicago) just fine, and she has plenty of ideas about how our house (In Chicago) should look, but she's not Suzy Homemaker. Never has been, and never will be. But she is the love of my life (In Chicago), and I am a (much) better person for being her husband. However, if, at the beginning of our burgeoning relationship (Not in Chicago), I had used this silly, pointless litmus test to vet "Misses Right" I would have "missed" in the worst possible way.
Do you watch a lot of (Chicago) romantic comedies? You know those aren't real, don't you? Mrs. Right can't be boiled down to a quaint anecdote, or sweeping generalization (Not even in Chicago). And honestly, if you need an internet message board to tell you if someone is right for you, you probably shouldn't be in a relationship (In Chicago)

(This is how you take a non-Chicago post and make it ALL ABOUT CHICAGO BABY!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 05:10 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
You'd find much more constructive and helpful responses in the "Relationship" forum. That's why it's there. Speaking solely for myself (but I'm sure others agree), I'm interested in discussing Chicago-specific topics here, not other people's personal love lives. There are other threads here that broach the same general topic as yours, and those are usually moved to the right forum or closed.

Seriously, I'm just trying to be helpful.
This is the relationship forum.
Anyway, OP cute story, the lady that advised you knows you, so it was/is applicable.
I wouldn't take a first date to a hardware store. but if you have had a few dates, you could use the pretext that you need to change drapes, or need new paint for your bathroom. That will draw out the shyer type girl, and you'll see whether the girl has an interest in your home, her home.
Otherwise, if you don't know the person well at all, some would hesitate, thinking it pushy to interject their ideas.
But, carry on.
And, there are always a few jerks on these threads, the way they get their jollies.....pick on and belittle someone, they are sad and lonely types, don't you think.

Last edited by JanND; 01-20-2012 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: spacing

Old 01-20-2012, 07:47 AM

499 posts, read 891,949 times
my biggest desire in the world is to marry my boyfriend but everything has a time to do so i'm not looking at the decorating stuff AT THE MOMENT. but i'm looking at clothes and make up products mostly for him to admire me more. so it's not a correct criterion your friend's mother just tries to look like a pundit lol.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:51 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Well maybe that's how you know you've found YOUR Mrs Right. As a general question, it's ridiculous.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
My wife is an accomplished, educated executive for a fortune 100 company(In Chicago). If I told her "A good woman is all about taking care of the home!" there would be quite an animated discussion (In Chicago) around that (And I strongly suspect I would be on the wrong end of it)
Don't get me wrong, she likes Home Depot (In Chicago) just fine, and she has plenty of ideas about how our house (In Chicago) should look, but she's not Suzy Homemaker. Never has been, and never will be. But she is the love of my life (In Chicago), and I am a (much) better person for being her husband. However, if, at the beginning of our burgeoning relationship (Not in Chicago), I had used this silly, pointless litmus test to vet "Misses Right" I would have "missed" in the worst possible way.
Do you watch a lot of (Chicago) romantic comedies? You know those aren't real, don't you? Mrs. Right can't be boiled down to a quaint anecdote, or sweeping generalization (Not even in Chicago). And honestly, if you need an internet message board to tell you if someone is right for you, you probably shouldn't be in a relationship (In Chicago)

(This is how you take a non-Chicago post and make it ALL ABOUT CHICAGO BABY!!)
The problem here is that I never said you should tell any woman "let's go to Home Depot, so I can see if your into taking care of the home". I agree, that would cause a problem. The key is to (silently) discover the type of person she is: "get-it-girl", or wife material.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Anyway, OP cute story, the lady that advised you knows you, so it was/is applicable.
I wouldn't take a first date to a hardware store. but if you have had a few dates, you could use the pretext that you need to change drapes, or need new paint for your bathroom. That will draw out the shyer type girl, and you'll see whether the girl has an interest in your home, her home.
Otherwise, if you don't know the person well at all, some would hesitate, thinking it pushy to interject their ideas.
But, carry on.
And, there are always a few jerks on these threads, the way they get their jollies.....pick on and belittle someone, they are sad and lonely types, don't you think.
You get it.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well maybe that's how you know you've found YOUR Mrs Right. As a general question, it's ridiculous.
I'll have you know that my stories are often ridiculous. But, is it ridiculous for others to share theirs?

Last edited by Just1Fan; 01-20-2012 at 04:09 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 04:22 PM

234 posts, read 882,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
Fellas. About 10 years ago, I was speaking to my best friends mother, about dating. And, with her being more mature and wiser, I asked her... how do I know when I've found Misses Right? She said, "son if you want to know if you've found a good girl... take her to Home Depot". She said, "yeah, even if your not there to buy anything... take her to Home Depot". And, me being the young buck that I was, couldn't quite grasp the way she was schooling me. So, I asked her what she meant by that, only to be given the same reply, "just take her to Home Depot". So, after concluding that she'd given me everything I needed to know, I gave her a hug, said goodbye, and walked away confused. That week, I most have told everyone I knew about our conversation. But, no one understood what she meant. So, I finally went back to my friends house, and asked her to explain. She said, "son if you take her to Home Depot and she's ready to leave shortly after you get there, then she's not a good women". She added, "if all she's about is shopping at the mall, getting her hair and nails done, or going to the club, then she's not for you". She said, "if you take a good woman to Home Depot, you will not be able to get her to leave". "A good woman is all about taking care of the home... not trying to party and look good". "She doesn't care much about that stuff ". "She'd rather look at flowers, wall paper, window treatments and such, seeking ideas on how to decorate a home". At that point, I could not have felt better. I finally got it, and it made perfect sense. So, there you have it, fellas. Let me know what you think. Also, I'm sure there's some other ideas out there that would be interesting to hear. Feel free to chime in. I hope this thread will help many of you, to find Misses Right. As always, thank you in advance. And, goodbye for now.
I have a question for you? How do I as a woman find Mr. Right? How do I know he is Mr. Right can you help me? Or anyone???

Anyways...yes that is a sign...

But also becoming friends...and talking and GETTING TO KNOW each other is the best way...

Asking question you feel is important...like what you want out of life, so are you religions, do you like animal (if you are a big animal lover) what you want and don't want in a sex life? etc etc...does help in a big way don´t you think?

I mean you can just base it on going to the home depot...but it does help to you to get started....at least you know something about her from the get go ...it does help...on that...for starters...

Old 01-20-2012, 04:28 PM

234 posts, read 882,920 times
Talking Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
I'll have you know that my stories are often ridiculous. But, is it ridiculous for others to share theirs?
Just1Fan out of curiosity have you found Miss. Right?

Old 01-20-2012, 04:34 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,214,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
This thread was originally in the Chicago forum, that's why there are some Chicago-related responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships