Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:54 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this turns out to be a long post. I feel like an idiot even asking this, but...

What's your idea of respect in relationships? How important is it? How do you show it?

I have been with a guy for almost 3 1/2 years. We both work full-time. No big disparity in work hours or income. However, I handle the finances and do most of the cooking, cleaning, laundry, take out the trash. No to say he never does anything, and I realize that it's not always 50/50, but I'd have to say that it's been more like 80/20 for a while. Even that wouldn't bother me if I felt appreciated.

This is where the "respect" piece comes in. I have tried to be calm about this, and I know that I have a tendency to let things go until I just lose it, and I know that I need to work on that. I will be the first person that will tell you I am not perfect. And yes, the other day I did "lose it". Then when I calmed down, I tried to explain that, when he does something, I make it a point to show him I appreciate it, and that I would like to hear "please" and "thank you." He said he doesn't think it's important. He is the type to just bark orders rather than asking. I do not liked to be ordered around, and I've told him how that comes across. He's polite when we go out, so it's not that he doesn't have the ability. I've even asked him why it wouldn't be even more important to be respectful toward a significant other. I got every reason from "that's not what he's used to" to being in the military (he hasn't been in the military for years!) to "that's fake, and I'm not fake." Oh boy, oh boy. I tried explaining to him that being respectful is not "fake".

On the surface, it seems like just a bunch of petty stuff like leaving stuff lay around and not helping with the housework when I also have a full-time job. This is just the tip of the iceberg, and that's what he doesn't get. He's told me that all of his previous relationships were horrible; that they all cheated on him and spent his money, one even set fire to all his stuff. I have spent the last three years and change being good to him, and all I want is to feel respected and appreciated. That's it.

Why does this have to be so difficult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 07:02 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
If he does not respect you in your home, he does not respect you at all.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:06 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
A couple working full time should be splitting the housework better than 80/20. Hell I don't let my roommate do any housework without my help, unless I'm at work and he isn't. I do a lot of stuff in this house though, that's for damn sure!

Old 01-19-2012, 07:11 PM

346 posts, read 507,455 times
You teach him how to treat you, so ignore him when he barks orders or fails to say please or thank you. When you do something nice for him and he doesn't show appreciation, don't do it again. If he truely values your relationship he will eventually notice, otherwise he is just being a selfish bum, but you can only change your behavior. He has to want to change his, he can't be nagged or coerced into it. So change yours and see if it yields the results you want.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:24 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,407 times
You can't force someone to respect you.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 PM

39 posts, read 109,274 times
This doesn't sound healthy or good for you over the long term. If you feel the relationship is worth saving, have you tried attending counseling? It could help you understand the communication dynamic and find better ways to communicate. You may be able to get free counseling through your employer EAP program or through your health insurance.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Sorry if this turns out to be a long post. I feel like an idiot even asking this, but...

What's your idea of respect in relationships? How important is it? How do you show it?

I have been with a guy for almost 3 1/2 years. We both work full-time. No big disparity in work hours or income. However, I handle the finances and do most of the cooking, cleaning, laundry, take out the trash. No to say he never does anything, and I realize that it's not always 50/50, but I'd have to say that it's been more like 80/20 for a while. Even that wouldn't bother me if I felt appreciated.

This is where the "respect" piece comes in. I have tried to be calm about this, and I know that I have a tendency to let things go until I just lose it, and I know that I need to work on that. I will be the first person that will tell you I am not perfect. And yes, the other day I did "lose it". Then when I calmed down, I tried to explain that, when he does something, I make it a point to show him I appreciate it, and that I would like to hear "please" and "thank you." He said he doesn't think it's important. He is the type to just bark orders rather than asking. I do not liked to be ordered around, and I've told him how that comes across. He's polite when we go out, so it's not that he doesn't have the ability. I've even asked him why it wouldn't be even more important to be respectful toward a significant other. I got every reason from "that's not what he's used to" to being in the military (he hasn't been in the military for years!) to "that's fake, and I'm not fake." Oh boy, oh boy. I tried explaining to him that being respectful is not "fake".

On the surface, it seems like just a bunch of petty stuff like leaving stuff lay around and not helping with the housework when I also have a full-time job. This is just the tip of the iceberg, and that's what he doesn't get. He's told me that all of his previous relationships were horrible; that they all cheated on him and spent his money, one even set fire to all his stuff. I have spent the last three years and change being good to him, and all I want is to feel respected and appreciated. That's it.

Why does this have to be so difficult?
It amazes me that people put up with this.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
SWgirl, I know how that goes, don't worry. You'll eventually get to a point where it drives you nuts and you'll leave him. Just wait for the onslaught of excuses after you do leave him, it'll be fun to hear how many times he'll say " I'll change "

Old 01-19-2012, 09:51 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2helping View Post
You teach him how to treat you, so ignore him when he barks orders or fails to say please or thank you. When you do something nice for him and he doesn't show appreciation, don't do it again. If he truely values your relationship he will eventually notice, otherwise he is just being a selfish bum, but you can only change your behavior. He has to want to change his, he can't be nagged or coerced into it. So change yours and see if it yields the results you want.
You're right. I can't wear his clothes, so maybe he'll notice with the wash, at least.

What I think I've got to do is stop making excuses for him, in my head. So he's had bad relationships before and I feel bad for that. But I am not the one treating him that way, and I think I've proved myself.

What gets me is that the first year wasn't like this. I keep blaming myself and my self-esteem has really taken a dump.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:55 PM

39 posts, read 109,274 times
Think of how your self esteem has changed over the course of the relationship and then think of how every relationship he has had in the past has gone bad. There is only one thing in common to all those relationships, and its not you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships