Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:54 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

I'm still a student, but back when I was a poker player, driving a BMW and eating expensive dinners every night, well I have to admit things were a LOT more smooth and nice :P That being said, I was never "rich" but I did have a very good amount of cash on me at all times.

Money might not buy happiness, but it does buy Salmon, Filet Mignon, nice cars and gives a good confidence boost; along with giving you freedom to do things that you want to do, when you want.

I think the argument this study is trying to do however, has more to do with work life vs. family life, and I do agree that a person working those crazy 75 hour shifts every week, but making a ton of money is probably going to have a less happy family than someone making around 65,000 per year and having a good amount of time to spend with their family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM

320 posts, read 539,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Money and fame usually go hand and hand. The reason why those men are mentioned is because when they get caught, everybody already knows who you're talking about because they're famous. But if you believe that rich non famous men are not cheating just as much, you're living a in a fantasty world. I work at a big law firm and the attorneys make damn good money 6-7 figures, but not as much as the men mentioned above and even they have there way with women. I hear stories about affiars with secretaries, guys going on "business trips" to hook up with their mistresses. Money is power. It gives you opportunites the average joe doesn't have, it opens doors that the agerage person doesn't get and that includes women

I think the list is very accurate.
Once again these reflect flaws in their character rather than the fact that they are rich. Money is not the common denominator in whether or not men cheat on their SO. While I would certainly admit that there are plenty of rich men that step out on their wives, I’m sure you’d also concede that there are plenty not-so-wealthy men who do the same every day.

Besides, who’s to say that the wives of those same rich men haven’t made a habit of stepping out on them as well? I can’t imagine that in all cases where the wealthy husband is off working those extremely long hours that their wives are just sitting by the living room window anxiously anticipating his arrival. It’s so not farfetched to think that these women would eventually say “Enough is enough!” and look for someone else to occupy their idle time with.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
Once again these reflect flaws in their character rather than the fact that they are rich. Money is not the common denominator in whether or not men cheat on their SO. While I would certainly admit that there are plenty of rich men that step out on their wives, I’m sure you’d also concede that there are plenty not-so-wealthy men who do the same every day.

Besides, who’s to say that the wives of those same rich men haven’t made a habit of stepping out on them as well? I can’t imagine that in all cases where the wealthy husband is off working those extremely long hours that their wives are just sitting by the living room window anxiously anticipating his arrival. It’s so not farfetched to think that these women would eventually say “Enough is enough!” and look for someone else to occupy their idle time with.
I have no doubt that that happens as well, it works both ways.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:23 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Pitfalls of dating rich men

For me? Probably the sex....

Old 01-20-2012, 01:26 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post

Money and fame usually go hand and hand.
Meh, while most famous people have money, not all people with money are famous, not by a long shot. And fame, to some women, is more attractive than money.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-20-2012 at 01:57 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 01:51 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Meh, while most famous people have money, not all people with money are famous, not by a long shot.
Thats not what I ment.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:10 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,039 times
Besides, who in the blue hell came up with the nonsense that making more money means working longer hours. Without researching, I can tell you the opposite is more likely to be true.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:24 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
Besides, who in the blue hell came up with the nonsense that making more money means working longer hours. Without researching, I can tell you the opposite is more likely to be true.

That's really not true, most business owners I know work a lot more hours than the normal working class.

The exception to this rule is my friend's dad who is a Dentist, works about 3 days a week and makes more money than one would believe. He is however the exception to the rule.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:30 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That's really not true, most business owners I know work a lot more hours than the normal working class.

The exception to this rule is my friend's dad who is a Dentist, works about 3 days a week and makes more money than one would believe. He is however the exception to the rule.
So in order to be rich, you have to be a business owner? You cant be a ceo, a doctor, a lawyer, a day trader, a succesful young professional working for someone else? Sure at times those focused on and dedicated to their respective career fields, spend longer hours and work harder to succeed, but I really doubt there is any positive correlation between the two. I know many guys who are rather well off, and they take more time off than anyone with an average or lower pay could ever dream of. Myself, I have gone from working 60 hours a week and making peanuts, to making 5 times the money while working around 25 hours a week.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:33 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
So in order to be rich, you have to be a business owner? You cant be a ceo, a doctor, a lawyer, a day trader, a succesful young professional working for someone else? Sure at times those focused on and dedicated to their respective career fields, spend longer hours and work harder to succeed, but I really doubt there is any positive correlation between the two. I know many guys who are rather well off, and they take more time off than anyone with an average or lower pay could ever dream of. Myself, I have gone from working 60 hours a week and making peanuts, to making 5 times the money while working around 25 hours a week.
Well, many millionaires are self-made and self-employed.

Of course you can be a CEO, doctor, lawyer, trader, etc to be rich. But then that negates your point - generally people in those professions work long hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships