Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:44 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times

Advertisements

Rich man, poor man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
I can't access the article from work, the website is blocked. Without knowing the content, I don't see much point into worrying about dating a rich man, because really, how many of us are doing that in real life.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I can't access the article from work, the website is blocked. Without knowing the content, I don't see much point into worrying about dating a rich man, because really, how many of us are doing that in real life.
Liberty2011, the reasons the article gives are:

- rich men work long hours
- rich men are tempted to misbehave
- rich men are no happier than poor men

Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Liberty2011, the reasons the article gives are:

- rich men work long hours
- rich men are tempted to misbehave
- rich men are no happier than poor men
Wow. I don't buy any of those reasons. And for those that are rich from business, I'll bet it's off the backs of those lower down in the company who are slogging it out for average pay. Where did I put my broom, that's a great sweeping generalization.

People's personalities and characters are the best indicators of happiness, fidelity, and behaving appropriately. There are those few ultra rich (the 1%) who may think rules don't apply to them and can get away with whatever they want because they have money to back them. But for the other 99% of us who aren't Tiger Woods and the like...

Old 01-20-2012, 11:27 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Wow. I don't buy any of those reasons. And for those that are rich from business, I'll bet it's off the backs of those lower down in the company who are slogging it out for average pay. Where did I put my broom, that's a great sweeping generalization.

People's personalities and characters are the best indicators of happiness, fidelity, and behaving appropriately. There are those few ultra rich (the 1%) who may think rules don't apply to them and can get away with whatever they want because they have money to back them. But for the other 99% of us who aren't Tiger Woods and the like...
No need to knock successful businessmen..... Some people can make it off talent and merit. Also probably wouldn't see you complaining if your hubby pampered you with those handbags, suvs, etc....

Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
It depends on the man and how he got rich. If he worked hard for it, he might cherish his success, appreciate the effort that went into it, and seek to give back to others through mentoring or charity. Or he may forget where he came from, or take a cavalier attitude toward those in different fields or who haven't met with the same success--"If I did it, anyone can." I had that little chat with a family member not too long ago. His field is known for the money, so he assumes that everyone should also be swimming in dough or else they just aren't working hard enough.

If he inherited his wealth, he might not appreciate what he has, he might have a sense of entitlement, or he may be oblivious to the less fortunate.

If he works long hours, is it because he loves what he does? Many doctors fit that description. Or is it because he's consumed with attaining material goods?

As for the misbehaving thing, the men they list (Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Bill Clinton, Donald Trump, JFK, FDR) were all famous. I think it was the fame that drew the women, and the fame that swelled these men's egos to the point where they felt they could just take what was offered to them and not have to face any consequences. Sure, having a lot of money may attract certain types of women who are in it only for that, and some wealthy men may feel they can buy whatever they want, including women, but fame is far more deadly to relationships than money.

Sometimes I wonder how people get paid to write drek like that. The writer has also written a book, though, so I guess there are people who pay to read that stuff. Maybe I should lower my standards and write schlock, too.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
At first I thought it made sense, but after thinking about it a little more, I disagree with all points. Here is my explanation:

1. Rich men work long hours - Longer hours than those who work part time jobs, sure! But a full time job at menards or a trade, the man works just as much time as any other individual. Usually rich men get PAID time off and lots of it. I personally get 3 weeks and I am only 23 out of college. I can get up to 6 weeks off in the coming years. Not to mention the fact that with that time off, they are able to afford to go places, unlike their poor counter parts.

2. Rich men are tempted to misbehave - this all depends on character. i feel that there is plenty of poor men who misbehave badly. They are just more likely to be known as "criminals". The rich man misbehaves and gets away with it much easier.

3. Rich men are no happier than poor men - Whoever said "Money cant buy happiness" never owned a Ferrari. Most men want three things; women, money, and sex.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:41 AM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
What constitutes Rich? Is 500k a year rich. Is a million dollars in your bank account rich?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:20 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:

Mod cut: Rude. Some rich people may do that, but I think most people who are successful have to put in a ridiculous amount of work. Sean "puffy" Combs says when he was first starting his record company he was putting in 20 hour days. I work at a law firm and the gring that some of these attorneys have to go through is insane. No matter how early I get here they're here. No matter how late I leave somebody is still here. For attorneys at big firms you're looking at(espcially if your a associate) 16 hour days and coming in weekends, very little vacation time. I'm suprised they don't have a higher divorce rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
It depends on the man and how he got rich. If he worked hard for it, he might cherish his success, appreciate the effort that went into it, and seek to give back to others through mentoring or charity. Or he may forget where he came from, or take a cavalier attitude toward those in different fields or who haven't met with the same success--"If I did it, anyone can." I had that little chat with a family member not too long ago. His field is known for the money, so he assumes that everyone should also be swimming in dough or else they just aren't working hard enough.

If he inherited his wealth, he might not appreciate what he has, he might have a sense of entitlement, or he may be oblivious to the less fortunate.

If he works long hours, is it because he loves what he does? Many doctors fit that description. Or is it because he's consumed with attaining material goods?

As for the misbehaving thing, the men they list (Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Bill Clinton, Donald Trump, JFK, FDR) were all famous. I think it was the fame that drew the women, and the fame that swelled these men's egos to the point where they felt they could just take what was offered to them and not have to face any consequences. Sure, having a lot of money may attract certain types of women who are in it only for that, and some wealthy men may feel they can buy whatever they want, including women, but fame is far more deadly to relationships than money.

Sometimes I wonder how people get paid to write drek like that. The writer has also written a book, though, so I guess there are people who pay to read that stuff. Maybe I should lower my standards and write schlock, too.
Money and fame usually go hand and hand. The reason why those men are mentioned is because when they get caught, everybody already knows who you're talking about because they're famous. But if you believe that rich non famous men are not cheating just as much, you're living a in a fantasty world. I work at a big law firm and the attorneys make damn good money 6-7 figures, but not as much as the men mentioned above and even they have there way with women. I hear stories about affiars with secretaries, guys going on "business trips" to hook up with their mistresses. Money is power. It gives you opportunites the average joe doesn't have, it opens doors that the agerage person doesn't get and that includes women

I think the list is very accurate.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-20-2012 at 05:19 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 12:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Well, regardless of if there is any truth to this or not - I don't think it's something I'll ever have to worry about! Although - when my husband starts a new show - like right now - there is a time when he has to put in ridiculous hours. That time is coming up soon - and with a new baby - it's going to be a bit difficult!

I've never really had much of a desire to date someone just because of their wealth though. I almost married a guitar player - so that should tell you something!

I will say this though - two of my dad's favorite sayings were -
"I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better."
and
"Always marry someone with more money and fewer problems than you!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships