Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:26 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
ewww that just sounds so unequal.

What's yours is his, and what's his is yours.

Go get a new laptop.
It doesn't seem like she can, since they have separate accounts and she cannot afford a new laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 04:31 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNed View Post
Granted, some of your expenses should be shifted to the joint account. However, it is absolutely fair that the one that earns gets to spend. You want more, you work more. It's time to stop eying your partner's money for your personal desires. Last but not least, gifts are just that, gifts.Where do you get off to complain that he is not buying you a new toy (notebook) or jewelry.
dude- you must be a real fun date-

Old 01-23-2012, 04:36 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Just think about it the other way around. A man complaining because his wife doesn't buy him the new golf clubs he wants, the new video game console, etc. all this while she buys herself brand bags and shoes.
lol- like a woman would marry a man that earns less than she does

just kidding.........

Old 01-23-2012, 04:42 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
lol- like a woman would marry a man that earns less than she does

just kidding.........
If you think about it, you're right. Sure, there are exceptions out there, but women can agree that they rather be with men who are above their level or at the very least the same.

I can imagine reactions would be a bit different if it was a man complaining that his wife makes lots of money and doesn't buy him a new video game console, golf clubs, etc. His thread would not be taken as nicely as this one.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
If you think about it, you're right. Sure, there are exceptions out there, but women can agree that they rather be with men who are above their level or at the very least the same.

I know a few women who make more than their husbands. It works for them. Most of the dads were stay at home dads too.

I can imagine reactions would be a bit different if it was a man complaining that his wife makes lots of money and doesn't buy him a new video game console, golf clubs, etc. His thread would not be taken as nicely as this one.
You are assuming...but I don't think you'd find the responses that much different. It's not about her wanting things, it's about the fact that she is not feeling like an equal in their marriage.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Quote:

The OP talks about her old car and her old laptop. Essentials for work and travel. That's hardly the same as new video games and golf clubs.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:46 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
That is SO common! When I was married, I worked full time, put my money into our joint account. I did not have a credit card, he had one in his name. So, he goes away on a business trip, I have two kids to feed, and diapers to buy. I went to the store, my debit card was rejected, for insufficient funds...how could that be? My check went in there yesterday...he had cleaned out all the cash to buy new guns at a gun show. His rationale? He was going to sell them and make more money. Meanwhile, I am almost out of diapers, formula, bread, milk....and I opened my own account that same day, no more joint checking account.

My girlfriend, had natural childbirth, no anestheia because of the cost. She came home from the hospital, her husband had a new stereo in his car.

We are both happily divorced now.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That is SO common! When I was married, I worked full time, put my money into our joint account. I did not have a credit card, he had one in his name. So, he goes away on a business trip, I have two kids to feed, and diapers to buy. I went to the store, my debit card was rejected, for insufficient funds...how could that be? My check went in there yesterday...he had cleaned out all the cash to buy new guns at a gun show. His rationale? He was going to sell them and make more money. Meanwhile, I am almost out of diapers, formula, bread, milk....and I opened my own account that same day, no more joint checking account.

My girlfriend, had natural childbirth, no anestheia because of the cost. She came home from the hospital, her husband had a new stereo in his car.

We are both happily divorced now.
Hope you and your girlfriend are better at picking men now - those guys were clear losers

Old 01-23-2012, 04:59 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
The OP talks about her old car and her old laptop. Essentials for work and travel. That's hardly the same as new video games and golf clubs.
Is jewelry essential? She does mention that and also expects him to buy her stuff simply because he has a lot of money. It’s like a guy saying that he expects his wife to let him have sex with her because she is attractive. Nope, she’s not obligated to do so. Imagine if this was the other way around. A man complaining because his wife doesn't buy him those new golf clubs or whatever. I guess it depends on where the complain comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth1929 View Post
Do you think it’s fair that he spends everything-I know it’s what he earned - for himself or do you think he should offer to buy me things because he has loads of fun money? (If I had that much money, I would definitely buy things for him too)

If you had more spending money, would you offer to buy things for your spouse or would you keep spending all money on yourself?
Women are not necessarily known for spending money on men just like men do on women but it is nice you at least thought about it.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:03 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
It's up to him. If he's generous and loves you enough he will. Don't force the issue, ask nicely and if he doesn't come through then yeah...

I mean totally understandable he wants to buy gadgets etc but there definitely should be a balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships