Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 07:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Ideally, there are three accounts: Yours, his, and a joint. I'm going to be in the minority here and say that I understand separate accounts. Sorry, I do think each person should have a certain amount of money to himself or herself. There are far too many horror stories out there of couples breaking up and one person cleaning out the joint account entirely.

I never had a joint account with my ex, however. He was a student working odd jobs part-time, so what he could afford to pay toward the bills was so small that it wasn't worth the hassle of a joint account. I just figured out the bills and asked him for a check for his portion each month.

And therein lies the rub. Contributions should be according to ability. If there is a great disparity in income, you need to talk to him about that.

Also, who is doing most of the housework? If it's you, the best way to drive your point home is to get a second, part-time job. When you're not around and he has to fend for himself, maybe he'll get the point.
I can agree that each partner should have their own source of discretionary money, so a small individual acct for each person is fine with me. But that amount should be equal and jointly decided upon, not based upon who in the relationship earns more cash.

I think it's wise for a couple to have one account and pool their resources for their actual living expenses, retirement accts, savings, etc.

Once you are married, you are supposed to function as a team.

It's not "his" money or "her" money - it's "our" money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 07:28 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I can agree that each partner should have their own source of discretionary money, so a small individual acct for each person is fine with me. But that amount should be equal and jointly decided upon, not based upon who in the relationship earns more cash.

I think it's wise for a couple to have one account and pool their resources for their actual living expenses, retirement accts, savings, etc.

Once you are married, you are supposed to function as a team.

It's not "his" money or "her" money - it's "our" money.
Learned that my my parents.

They always said "It's our money." Which I plan to maybe one day say to a future wife.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Learned that my my parents.

They always said "It's our money." Which I plan to maybe one day say to a future wife.
You would be a very wise man to do that

Score keeping is for games, not marriage.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:35 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You would be a very wise man to do that

Score keeping is for games, not marriage.

Macho Man Randy Savage Oh Yeah - YouTube

Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - you made me laugh outloud!!!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM

164 posts, read 364,292 times
He just does not like you that much. Divorce is the best solution for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth1929 View Post
Im Beth. I have been married for nearly 2 years.

We have shared which bills we each will pay and he does not want to have a joint account.

After expenses savings and investments $300 is left in my account every month and $1600 is left in his a/c. I use that $300 to buy cloths, shampoo, the pill, lunch when I didn’t take it from home, shoes, bags etc (not designer stuff and not every month) and the rest is spent for my car maintenance.

He uses his balance to buy things for himself. He buys expensive designer shirts. Latest gadgets (iphone, ipad, xbox , laptops etc)

My laptop is so old. My phone is old. I ve been talking about buying a laptop for a few months. He does not offer to buy.

His gifts on special days are always around $40-$50.not that I expect expensive things or I keep records but a man sometimes buys his wife something like jewelry too correct?

Do you think it’s fair that he spends everything-I know it’s what he earned - for himself or do you think he should offer to buy me things because he has loads of fun money? (If I had that much money, I would definitely buy things for him too)

If you had more spending money, would you offer to buy things for your spouse or would you keep spending all money on yourself?

thanks for reading and answering

Old 01-23-2012, 08:19 PM

297 posts, read 726,216 times
1. How much money of his money do you want him to give you each month?

2. Tell him you want that much money from him each month.

3. If he agrees, fine. If he does not agree, find someone else with the same or greater income who will share it with you and go live with him.

Simple as that!

Note: It seems jewelry *is* a necessity... Johnny Carson's wife requested $37,065.00 monthly for "jewelry and fur purchases"...
Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Google News Archive Search

Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 PM

19 posts, read 102,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I never understood the seperate accounts thing but it seems to be very common these days. When my wife and I were married, we opened a joint account and all our money went into that account.. i made considerable more... now, some 15 years later, we still have a joint account only now she makes considerable more. Good thing I didn't opt for the seperate account years ago!

If you need something or even want something that you can't afford then your simply gonna have to ask. Don't assume he should be simply buying you things out of the blue. Tell him...
told him, added it to my amazon wish list, emailed him the link. thats all i can do. cant beg

Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 PM

19 posts, read 102,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Omg and yeesh.

Have you talked to him about this?

This is totally effed up.

YES...it is your COLLECTIVE standard of living. Not just good times for him and drudgery for you.

talked to him a few times. didnt scold or anything. just friendly convo. but no result. "my money" "my money" every time

Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth1929 View Post
told him, added it to my amazon wish list, emailed him the link. thats all i can do. cant beg
Girl, where is your self respect???

Don't go begging, but also don't go around accepting whatever scraps he wants to throw your way.

You are his wife. His partner. Supposedly his beloved.

If he cannot treat you better than this, you may want to rethink keeping him as your husband.

If he can't see how selfish his attitude is, maybe a marriage counselor could help him to see how destructive he's being. Make an appt ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships