Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 11:59 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times

Advertisements

I will be honest. I had never even heard of these two smartphone apps until yesterday when I read a Palm Beach Post article where tenuous research was used to link the "hook up" culture on college campuses to an uptick in STD rates.

According to the article, one of the ways that young people are hooking up now is with smartphone apps that use GPS technology to locate available singles that are currently in close proximity. You can be at a bar on Clematis in West Palm on a Saturday night, open up the app, and search for single women who are less than a mile away at that moment. See one you like? Start a chat with her, send a picture of your junk, then agree on a location to meet. It's like Adult Friend Finder or Fling.com on steroids.

What's not to like about this, besides the fact that I didn't think of it first? The idea is brilliant; I just don't personally know anyone who has done it. Surely someone here has. Care to shed some light? Is it as easy as the article (which, ironically, was trying to cast these apps in a negative light) made it sound? Can I count on there being a decent number of (female) users in a mid-sized metro area?

I want to hear some Skope or StreetSpark success stories. If I'm just going to be wasting my time downloading them, I want to hear that, too. Let the discussion begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships