Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 11:27 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBee2010 View Post
I don't think that's it. I believe more black women in CA are pursuing Interracial relationships (IR) because there's a sizable number of black men in CA who are in IR relationships. These women are simply adapting to their environment. If they weren't open to IR, they would be relegated to remaining single and/or dating black guys who more than likely have concurrent sexual relationships w/ multiple women.
I don't know about all that. Attractive is attractive regardless of race.

I know for ME, if a man is gorgeous, I see his LOOKS first, then his race or culture SECOND. If he has no problems, then neither do I.

White men in California have NO FEAR of approaching black women like in NYC (where I grew up). No one looks at you twice about it here.

I'm also not "actively" pursuing an interracial relationship either. I never found white men attractive or remotely cute until I moved to California. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in the looks department and I've read this on other forums from black women from the east coast as well.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 AM

139 posts, read 170,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

I know for ME, if a man is gorgeous, I see his LOOKS first, then his race or culture SECOND. If he has no problems, then neither do I.

A man's looks and race are relative (in my opinion). I've met plenty of gorgeous men, but I'm more interested in a guy that has solid family values, and a professional career.

Quote:
Marilyn
White men in California have NO FEAR of approaching black women like in NYC (where I grew up). No one looks at you twice about it here.

I'm also not "actively" pursuing an interracial relationship either. I never found white men attractive or remotely cute until I moved to California. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in the looks department and I've read this on other forums from black women from the east coast as well.
This would be interesting to study from a sociological perspective. Are white men more open to approaching black women in CA, because they know that black women in CA are generally open to interracial relationships?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
A man's looks are relative (in my opinion). I've met plenty of gorgeous men, but I'm more interested in a guy that has solid family values, and a professional career.
Been there, done that. I realize I need to be PHYSICALLY attracted to a person in addition to everything else. He doesn't have to be drop dead, but someone who takes care of himself.

Quote:
This would be interesting to study from a sociological perspective. Are white men more open to approaching black women in CA, because they know that black women in CA are generally open to interracial relationships?
I would say yes. Thankfully, the ones I met I was not their "first". I don't ever want to be anybody's "first", so I was never asked stupid questions. Like for example, they didn't ask me what I thought "blacks" thought about certain situations, because they knew I was not a representative for the entire black race. We don't all think or believe the same things.

NYC is so self-segregated that no doubt somebody white will ask or say something stupidly ignorant that you'll be like "Dude? Seriously? Like how long have blacks been in this country that you would still ask something like this?" Just going by what I've been told by friends who did go out with a few.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:

There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in the looks department and I've read this on other forums from black women from the east coast as well.
I agree, but I think this is true for all races and genders in CA. For example, I rarely see Asian guys in my state that really stand out, but upon arriving in San Francisco, I spotted a number of hot Asian guys (i.e. very attractive face, tall and attractive physiques). Many of these guys were in the computer science field too.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:

NYC is so self-segregated that no doubt somebody white will ask or say something stupidly ignorant that you'll be like "Dude? Seriously? Like how long have blacks been in this country that you would still ask something like this?" Just going by what I've been told by friends who did go out with a few.
Both, New York and CA are heavily segregated by class and income levels.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Both, New York and CA are heavily segregated by class and income levels.
NYC is more racially segregated regardless of income or class.

LA not so much racially. Just MY personal observation.

Oh yeah, I agree with you about asian men being good looking here as well.

The only problem I have with LA is that even though it's racially diverse most of the cultures (foreign) tend to hang out with only each other. This bothers me for some reason.

Americans (regardless of race) will assimilate more, especially ones not from here.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:39 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
I've dated other races more than I've dated my own. Lebanese was my favorite (so hot), but I've dated Mexican, Asian, and South American. My parents were raised in strict Southern, religious households by parents who were not really accepting of other races in the family. By the grace of whatever, they are very open-minded people.

I don't ever recall getting grief from people outside my family either. One guy I dated was convinced that everyone was staring at us, but I think he was paranoid.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:48 AM

31,025 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
NYC is more racially segregated regardless of income or class.

LA not so much racially. Just MY personal observation.

Oh yeah, I agree with you about asian men being good looking here as well.

The only problem I have with LA is that even though it's racially diverse most of the cultures (foreign) tend to hang out with only each other. This bothers me for some reason.

Americans (regardless of race) will assimilate more, especially ones not from here.
My findings to a tee, especially 1st generation foreign regardless of where theyre from. Language and culture are strong binders so its not surprising.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 PM

69 posts, read 186,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Thats the second time Ive heard someone say that this month? Is this common?
It is if you have a large family. For me, I have family who spell their last name different, even though it's not supposed to be, so I could end up dating a cousin (and I don't care how far down the line it is, a cousin, is a cousin to me) and not even know it until I make it known to certain family members who know that other side. Then there's my dad's side and i don't know them very well, so sometimes I'll see someone I think is kind of cute, and then my dad will mention them or their parent's and they really be our cousins. I live in the south though, so maybe it's just a really common thing in the south. Then there's the fact that my great grandmother married someone with her last name (but wasn't related), and so now I'm also related to those on both sides of those families (one last name, two different families, but I try to avoid the last name all together so that I don't end up with someone I actually am related to).

Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 PM

69 posts, read 186,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesj View Post
and yet, you are doing the exact opposite. Go figure.
What do you mean by this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships