Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 03:07 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,727,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I dated an Indian girl for almost 2 years and the whole thing about dealing with that culture sucked. Her dad was racist to anybody who wasn't Indian, or for that matter in their specific CASTE, and so he would say things like "i would never even show up to a wedding like that" etc etc. It is normal to get weird stares from other Indians who don't like it, and also you face being outcasted by the community because they don't agree often either.

In the end, that relationship ended.. that problem being one of the causes, but far from the main cause

I have also dated a Colombian girl that went much better, no problems with the family or anything like that. The people from South America are a lot more similar to Americans than other nations. In the end, there was still kind of a problem, and for South Americans, they are just far too open with the other sex.. it ended up being too much for me and it ended. I still keep in contact with her now, she's a nice girl and a good friend who I can sleep with when I see her, but I'd never be able to handle an actual relationship with her.

Funny! I am Indian and never dated Indian women, but definitely know of the attitude you experienced. It disgusts me, and I made it very clear to my parents that I am American. Take it or leave it. That said, my wife is Colombian, and the family's story is similar to my folks. The parents have been a-ok, albeit some initial hesitation. What you don't know, scares you I suppose...Indian societies are very close minded.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
Funny! I am Indian and never dated Indian women, but definitely know of the attitude you experienced. It disgusts me, and I made it very clear to my parents that I am American. Take it or leave it. That said, my wife is Colombian, and the family's story is similar to my folks. The parents have been a-ok, albeit some initial hesitation. What you don't know, scares you I suppose...Indian societies are very close minded.

I will always have a place in my heart for Colombia. Where in Colombia is your wife originally from, or her family? Do you guys listen to Vallenato or eat Bandeja Paisa?

Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,683 times
No matter how much we sing 'We are the world' and in political correctness, hide our race cards, we should accept that our country is not based on tolerance. Culture clashes and prejudice abound. But still, there is nothing wrong with standing on your own feet and living your own life. Like many white families when their daughters date and marry black men, maybe her family is not ready to embrace your union. And some people maybe be confused. But there is actually nothing biologically nor even biblically wrong with you being together. Live and love forever!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:16 PM

527 posts, read 1,232,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I have a LOT of asian friends and most of my asian male friends cant stand it when asian women date non-asian guys. Funny thing is, all the really HOT asian girls I know (like 8-10 in looks) are all dating and/or married to black guys. I guess mostly because they are all "fitness folks" they have a lot in common.
That's interesting, all of the hot Asian girls I know are all dating white guys

I'm Asian and most of my dates are white or hispanic. I haven't noticed any overt looks from strangers. Mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:27 PM

331 posts, read 734,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_down View Post

I'm Asian and most of my dates are white or hispanic. I haven't noticed any overt looks from strangers. Mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
I'm British-Indian and I went to a Japanese resturant in LA's little Tokyo with a Japanese-American lady just before Xmas; they were some guys from Japan on the the table next to us and they looked very pissed off.

Indians ALWAYS stare at me when I'm with a non-Indian woman, which is 95% of the time. The woman is usually east Asian, sometimes white and I detect zero animosity from Asian-American men most of the time

In response to an earlier post, my family would have no issue with me marrying a non-Indian.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
Definitely, they forget if there's a cultural 'barrier' it's between you and a girl from India, not a white American woman.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_down View Post

Also, which I believe is particularly relevant to IR relationships: Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:20 AM

527 posts, read 1,232,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post
I'm British-Indian and I went to a Japanese resturant in LA's little Tokyo with a Japanese-American lady just before Xmas; they were some guys from Japan on the the table next to us and they looked very pissed off.

Indians ALWAYS stare at me when I'm with a non-Indian woman, which is 95% of the time. The woman is usually east Asian, sometimes white and I detect zero animosity from Asian-American men most of the time

In response to an earlier post, my family would have no issue with me marrying a non-Indian.
Almost all of the Indian guys I know have Indian wives with exception of one guy whose wife is white. Maybe they are just staring because it's something they don't see often?

My mom wants me to marry someone who makes me happy, and that's her only requirement. Well, she also wants me to find someone with a graduate degree, which I don't particularly care about. My dad... well, I don't really care what he thinks lol

Old 02-02-2012, 12:39 AM

60 posts, read 203,495 times
DH and I have been married for 8 yrs I am african american, he's white. A couple of my relatives had a problem with it in the beginning. But once they seen how much we loved each other and no matter how anyone felt, we were still going to get married, they changed their tunes. Now, everyone is used to it. His family has always been nice to me. I have the best-in-laws

Old 02-02-2012, 12:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
If any relatives have a problem with it, freak them out with your mutant mongrel offspring, and constantly bring up the fact you are totally destroying the 'purity' of the family line, rubbing it in their faces every chance you get.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships