Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think this is a good thread to rerun the Dog's Diary vs. Cat's Diary:

From a Dog's Diary:

8:00 am - Breakfast! My favorite thing!
9:00 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got hugs and snacks! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played With Stuffed Animals! My favorite thing!
5:30 pm - Went to the Store! My favorite thing!
6:30 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Got to walk around the neighborhood! My favorite thing!
9:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with Mom! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

From a Cat's Diary:

Day 983 of my captivity. My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.

They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am. B#stards.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now...
Love it!! As both a cat and dog owner, I believe that cats are constantly plotting something while the dog just eats, sleeps and wants to play

Old 01-30-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Could someone please give me the list that says love for small creatures is proof nuf to call u gay?? Omg!
do women really think this stuff???
No wonder they end up with violent insensitive thugs
Btw I like cats
Please do not categorize the rest of us women with the OP LOL

Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
He comes across as less masculine to me. There was a guy I liked, but when I saw that he had a cat as a pet it just turned me off. I wondered if maybe he was gay..
Pretty sure most men would not want to date somebody with your lame ideas unless you have really big boobs.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:49 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What age group are we talking? I find a lot of young, mobile 20 somethings don't have pets in general. But if they did a survey, I'm pretty sure your '1 in 100' claim would be flatly refuted and you'd be eating humble pie.
Remember, we are not talking pets in general, we are talking single guys with cats. Heck, most everyone I know have pets of some sort. Mostly, its dogs, with a few birds sprinkled here and there and even some salt water reef tanks. But when it comes to the subject at hand - SINGLE GUYS OWNING CATS, its pretty much non-existant.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
By any chance, are you an African American living in the inner city like our OP?

Just thinking, if you are that maybe you two just haven't seen enough of how the rest of America lives?

Because honestly, your opinions are really off base for America at large
None of the above. Im a Stanford educated "Valley Dude" who has lived and owns (and owned) property in Burbank, Toluca Lake, Woodland Hills and Sherman Oaks - all middle to upper middle class by Los Angeles standards. Maybe it has to do with the "crowd" I am around. Most of my friends and associates (outside of work) are martial artists/fighers, video game developers/video game junkies, surfers/beach bodies, fitness/yoga enthusiusts, entertainment industry folks (actors, writers, etc) and other performing artists. But, really, I dont think it has anything at all to do with where I live.

I mean really, I cannot believe that you people think its COMMON for single guys to own cats. It really is NOT. Sure everyone could probably name one, but really, if you think of everyone you know, and of ALL those people, one or maybe two are unique in some way, you cannot say it is "common" at all.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Remember, we are not talking pets in general, we are talking single guys with cats. Heck, most everyone I know have pets of some sort. Mostly, its dogs, with a few birds sprinkled here and there and even some salt water reef tanks. But when it comes to the subject at hand - SINGLE GUYS OWNING CATS, its pretty much non-existant.
Is it common for young single females to own cats, in your experience? I haven't found this any more common than males.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 AM

Personality Differences Between Dog and Cat Owners | Psychology Today

I actually agree with this article. It's more based on personality, but also culture. Cat ownership is less common in Australia than the US or Europe.

It never occurred to me that owning cats was a 'female' thing. I think cat owners are perceived as being intelligent, thoughtful, artistic - they're kind of like hipster animals. Dogs are mainstream animals, pack-animals (like most people). Cats are more loners and independent and probably appeal more to those sorts of people.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
None of the above. Im a Stanford educated "Valley Dude" who has lived and owns (and owned) property in Burbank, Toluca Lake, Woodland Hills and Sherman Oaks - all middle to upper middle class by Los Angeles standards. Maybe it has to do with the "crowd" I am around. Most of my friends and associates (outside of work) are martial artists/fighers, video game developers/video game junkies, surfers/beach bodies, fitness/yoga enthusiusts, entertainment industry folks (actors, writers, etc) and other performing artists. But, really, I dont think it has anything at all to do with where I live.

I mean really, I cannot believe that you people think its COMMON for single guys to own cats. It really is NOT. Sure everyone could probably name one, but really, if you think of everyone you know, and of ALL those people, one or maybe two are unique in some way, you cannot say it is "common" at all.
That's not the topic. The topic is "Is it common for STRAIGHT single men to own cats as a pet?" Both you and the OP are sterotyping people. I know STRAIGHT men who owned cats when they were single and now they're married. Have you ever owned a cat? If you raise a cat from when it's a kitten, they really are a lot of fun and depending on some breeds, they're actually a handful when it comes to entertaining them.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:

Well, I was just trying to make sense of your very biased and inaccurate opinion on the subject when I asked if you are black and live in the inner city like our OP.

As you yourself have said, it really does just have to do with the crowd your run with, so in the end, you really ARE like the OP.

And knowing what we know about who you are from all your macho posts, it makes sense to me actually that you would think straight guys owning cats is so uncommon.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, I was just trying to make sense of your very biased and inaccurate opinion on the subject when I asked if you are black and live in the inner city like our OP.

As you yourself have said, it really does just have to do with the crowd your run with, so in the end, you really ARE like the OP.

And knowing what we know about who you are from all your macho posts, it makes sense to me actually that you would think straight guys owning cats is so uncommon.
It's one thing to have opinions (e.g. to think that owning cats is not manly) but to make claims about objective truths with nothing to back them up except your 'own experience' just makes you look silly. No smart person takes that seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships