Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Oh brother. The way a person presents themselves says a lot about them and particularly what you want other people to focus on. Most people who would post pictures like that of themselves want people to focus on their body and sexuality and not them as a person with any interests. It's attention seeking insecurity. Don't kid yourself. There is a fine line to being sexy and being skanky.
There is also a line between rude and obnoxious, and helpful advice. Life is about our choices, when we point a finger at someone, to judge and condemn, there are 3 pointing back at ourselves.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
There is also a line between rude and obnoxious, and helpful advice. Life is about our choices, when we point a finger at someone, to judge and condemn, there are 3 pointing back at ourselves.
I didn't post the pictures or ask the question and if a person is not prepared to hear the truth and opinions which may not be complimentary then they shouldn't be posting it on public forum. Not all the answers you get when you ask are going to be rosey.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
The way a person presents themselves says a lot about them and particularly what you want other people to focus on.
x2. This...

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...el-my-son.html

...is not comparable to wearing a bikini (an actual bikini) at the beach. And any woman who wears a thong as a bikini I'd dare say is wearing it to get attention as a sexual object rather than to stay cool or to swim in.

Way too high butt to fabric ratio there, Jan

Old 01-29-2012, 06:58 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
You really are missing the point and will continue to do so and if you so choose to put your head in the sand then there is nothing worth discussing. The way you PRESENT yourself tells people how you want to be viewed. That includes actions and words not just clothing. But if every photo I show you is a certain way then this is how I want you to view me. It's not that complicated. If I wore men's clothing all the time I wouldn't question why people don't see me as feminine.
I agree that people will make assumptions about people based upon little information. So how is it my head that is in the sand when I say that those assumptions may be incorrect?

Wearing men's clothes may lead people to assume you're not feminine, but it doesn't actually mean that you're not feminine

Old 01-29-2012, 07:01 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
I encourage the OP to dress how she wants. Whatever makes you happy. Who cares what her date thought of her outfit. Why did he go out with her in the first place? The guy is a freak. Social norms are ridiculous.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:01 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I agree that people will make assumptions about people based upon little information. So how is it my head that is in the sand when I say that those assumptions may be incorrect?

Wearing men's clothes may lead people to assume you're not feminine, but it doesn't actually mean that you're not feminine
Correct! and that is exactly what is being discussed here - no one said she was a skank - they are saying the way she dresses is. You finally get the point. If you want people to view you a certain way then present yourself as such.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:05 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
"You dress too sexy" is a compassionate way to say: "You are trying to portray yourself as a sex object."

The OP is a good strong 7.000 on a scale of ten, but wants to be the 10 in every room. "Look at me, I'm soooo hot." If she really was hot enough to act that part, it would be fun to date her, but there is nothing more pathetic than a gal who is losing her looks trying to capture the attention usually reserved for 20 year olds making bad fashion judgements in their too sexy attire. For a hot 20 year old, a too short skirt (crudely referred to as "hair high"), too much skin, visible boobs, etc. is fun for everyone. For a late 30's 7.000 it is just wrong.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:07 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
filihok, it just seems that you have some forum stalkers, who are themselves posting your pics in this thread. Funny, but there are a few that seem to post the same type responses no matter what the question....The old saying...Consider the source....applies to at least a couple. I honestly don't think that even if you changed your profile pics, that some of these folks would calm down. There are people that will offer constructive advice and others that judge, and there are the thread hijackers.....and imo one rude comment is just that rude, several rude comments from the same poster is harassment. OP, you should do a search of a couple, it is textbook.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:28 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Correct! and that is exactly what is being discussed here - no one said she was a skank - they are saying the way she dresses is. You finally get the point. If you want people to view you a certain way then present yourself as such.
I got the point long ago.

The point is wrong, however.

Since I am correct in saying that clothing choice isn't 100% reflective of personality, how can one dress like a skank?

Since we know that assumptions made on dress may be incorrect, why do we validate those assumptions by telling the OP that she should expect the assumptions instead of calling people out for their faulty thinking?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:47 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Since we know that assumptions made on dress may be incorrect, why do we validate those assumptions by telling the OP that she should expect the assumptions instead of calling people out for their faulty thinking?
Because that is working backwards, evolutionarily speaking. We use these "assumptions" to speed up the information-gathering process. If a guy pulls out a gun in a public place, we are logically at fault for assuming he's going to shoot it. Maybe he wants to clean it, or sell it. Maybe he's going to throw it on the floor and smash it to promote world peace? I know what she's doing is hardly cause for ALARM, of course, but the point is that sometimes it's silly to ask someone "Why did you do that?" when there's a high probability you already know the answer.

No one has to ask why she dresses like that in public. I disagree with the use of the word "assumption" because we are not just coming up with these opinions out of nowhere, but from the way someone else intentionally presents themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships