Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 PM

52,202 posts, read 52,636,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppsyout View Post
It was cold last night and I put on a hat before going out to movie with bf,
Bf looked at me and said" you look fobbish in that hat", and today when i was trying on some outfit he said I looked promiscuous in that outfit. I was super mad about the comments. I thought those were insulting comments and he said he's just being honest.

Don't know how to react to this one.

And here's me in the outfit if anyone wonders.
I gotta say.... that outfit looks a bit risqué, depends on the situation of course.

Calling you a prostitute was a little harsh, could have been more tactful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 05:09 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,023,696 times
Well, are you a fob? From the way you write, it kind of seems like you are. There's nothing at all wrong with that, and being called a fob shouldn't be an insult. Although, the way he said it, he may have meant it as an insult. But at the same time, it seems like being called fobby strikes a nerve with you.

For those who don't know, a 'Fob' stands for Fresh off the Boat, usually to describe an Asian person (guy or girl) who didn't grow up in the US, has an accent, broken English, doesn't dress American style etc.

Again, it's not really an insult but I've never been called it, so what do I know.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:11 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGirl View Post
How is that outfit promiscuous? To me it looks like something you'd wear to an office.

I think his comments were a litle out of line. He needs some filter because his idea of being honest is coming off as rude.
Any office I ever worked in would send someone home to change if she came in with a skirt that short. That skirt is for clubbing, not an office.

I do think the boyfriend is rude, though.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:12 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
Tell him don't ever insult you again. If he does it again, dump him and don't look back.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:15 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,454 times
Those aren't rude comments...grow up.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:19 PM

52,202 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Those aren't rude comments...grow up.

Saying your GF looks like a ***** is pretty insulting......

Calling her a FOB is pretty insulting too.

Its basically saying that they are some dumb hick, in American terms

I think the OP might be British.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:24 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Saying your GF looks like a ***** is pretty insulting......

Calling her a FOB is pretty insulting too.

Its basically saying that they are some dumb hick, in American terms

I think the OP might be British.
He said she looked "promiscuous", then elaborated that she was dressed like a prostitute. And..? How is that insulting? That dress is super short; maybe he thought a little too short for his tastes. Is he supposed to simply ignore it and then get pissed about it later? Have his annoyance manifest itself in some other way?

This just proves women hate honesty.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 PM

66 posts, read 123,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Any office I ever worked in would send someone home to change if she came in with a skirt that short. That skirt is for clubbing, not an office.

I do think the boyfriend is rude, though.

the girl replied before I actually put it on. No I know it's of course not for an office setting. I was just at home trying on some outfit for fun.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:28 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times
Quote:
He said she looked "promiscuous", then elaborated that she was dressed like a prostitute. And..? How is that insulting? That dress is super short; maybe he thought a little too short for his tastes. Is he supposed to simply ignore it and then get pissed about it later? Have his annoyance manifest itself in some other way?

Has nothing to do with just women. Many people in general can't take criticism, constructive or otherwise. They ask you how something looks, then get pissy or defensive if it doesn't come out a compliment. If I like something I'm wearing a lot, I will no longer ask anyone what they think. I learned my lesson. LOL

Old 01-29-2012, 05:28 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
Quote:

Boy, you really need to grow up a bit if you think there's no other way to say "the dress is too short for my tastes". He doesn't need to ignore it nor did he need to insult her. If he chose to ignore it, why would he get "pissed" later on?

Sounds like you and her boyfriend need some lessons in manners and tact (of which I am not in abundant supply) but that is totally rude and ignorant.

OP, it's time to tell your boyfriend to get some tact and respect for you. I might give him another chance but he is seriously rude and obnoxious to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships