Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,782,351 times

Advertisements

When I was out at LA, I hiked up to the top of the Hollywood sign. My back upper back was killing me all night. The next day I went to a Thai Massage place and it really help my back, the next day it didn't hurt at all. There nothing sexual about a true massage. There are places that provide "extra" services, but you can still get a massage without getting involved with any extras.

As for Nudity, I've always have massages in the nude. Usually they place a sheet over you, or over your genitals, but I've also had massages completely nude with no draping (no sheet) and there was nothing sexual about it. (More common in Europe)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
My Wife tells me that she has booked me in for a massage.

Apparently, one of her friends does massage (just an acquaintance actually), and with me having a bad back, she thought of me. Well, I’m not into getting covered in icky oil, and am not really comfortable with the concept of letting her get her hands all over me. (If I had been single, then maybe).

I think I’ve got out of it by asking, “Does she do extras, and how much does she charge?” You never know, that could be how it is!

Having a young, skinny woman, or man, (if that be the case), clambering all over you, has got to be sexual thing, hasn’t it?

Maybe I'm just a prude!
I think your wife is being nice. However, I understand your confusion. I have had innumerable men offer a massage and to them it is foreplay. Sorry, but after lugging shingles or bags of concrete? I want a friggin massage. To this day I've never had one man "offer" a massage that didn't think it was leading somewhere. I don't get this at all. The ones that "get it" just do it to be nice.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:22 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,029,608 times
Just an update on this one.

Apparently she’s not qualified, it’s just something “she does”.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:34 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
If you need a massage for a serious reason: Like your back, I'd go to someone professional because she may not know what she's doing and she could hurt you.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:02 PM

7 posts, read 11,782 times
Default Massage Therapy Reality

I have been a massage therapist for almost 5 years now and I encounter this issue so often. It is sad that our society is so disconnected from one another that touch is automatically assumed to be of a sexual nature. Did you know if an infant does not experience touch they will die? As adults the consequences may not be so extreme, but with lack of touch, suffering will ensue.

Massage is so beneficial for so many different ailments. It is too bad that a great number of people fail to recognize the power of touch therapy. Massage and Bodywork Therapy has nothing to do with sex, and it is not some luxury to be enjoyed once in a great while such as when on vacation. A more appropriate title would be muscle therapist. And muscles are something we use every day both consciously and unconsciously. Many of us actually abuse our muscles on a daily basis. Even sitting at your desk on the computer your muscles are exposed to repetitive motion and unnatural positions being held over long periods of time (for example use of the mouse).

Do you work on the computer for more than 1 hour a day? Does your right arm and area around your shoulder blade cause you discomfort? Do you just ignore it or wonder where it stems from like most people? Wouldn’t you like to be relieved of your pain? Ease your discomfort, help your digestion, lower your blood pressure, improve your circulation, and heal your injuries. Better your posture, relieve your stress, improve your sleep and bring you to a better state of being? That’s what massage does.

Honestly, massage is probably better than sex. You don’t have to do anything and your whole body feels relaxed as opposed to just your genitals. Plus the blissful feeling lasts much longer than the few minutes of bliss after an orgasm. For men, I understand the concern about an erection with a mind of its own. The fact is that it’s totally normal. The hormone that the body uses to relax is also used by the body to produce erections. The hormone is called Relaxin. And for the same reason a boy who is very nervous is unlikely to get hard so a man who is very relaxed is likely to end up with an erection. A professional massage therapist knows and understands this. We do not take it as you coming onto us. I just ignore it as best I can.

A professionally licensed massage therapist, especially in Las Vegas, is subject to strict regulations including requiring a health card (cost: $50). To become licensed a therapist must have a minimum of 500 hours of massage education which includes both the study of anatomy and hands on training (I had 750 hours, cost of 1 year program: $13,000). I was required to take and pass an exam to become a nationally certified practitioner (cost: $250) before I could apply for Nevada state license (cost: $350 initial application, $150 to renew each year plus $150 for Continuing education classes which you must take 12 units of each year to be able to renew). So to get everything I need to work as a massage therapist has cost me $650 this year alone. If a therapist is caught working without a license or with an expired one, or worse is caught involving anything sexual with massage they are subject to thousands of dollars in fines and can have their license suspended or revoked, even forever.

There is no way I would risk being banned from practicing what I have put so much time, effort and money into doing for extra tips or something absurd like that. I get good tips because I give great massage.

Still have doubts? I dare you to go out and get a massage from a professional therapist and then rethink your opinions.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:12 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
My wife is a certified massage therapist. She has, over a period of years, built a loyal private clientele; she travels to their home and massages there. Most of her clients are middle aged or older couples who both get massages. It is not sexual, and she makes sure that is clear (that helps the wives relax, lol). She wears scrubs and her hair up, she looks more like a nurse than what you see on internet videos late at night.

OP, I highly recommend you do this. You can wear boxers if it helps you feel more comfortable. I guarantee you will feel the results.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:08 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
When the Doctor or Nurse feels your testicles for lumps is that sexual?
How about a prostate exam?
Inserting a catheter before surgery or whatever?

Ever had an ultrasound done to check circulation ?

Massage is sexual ONLY went it is meant to be, if the reason is medical then that is what it is.
How about a gynecological exam? They literally spread your legs open and go right in. But people realize that isn't sexual (or at least shouldn't be) because of the professional nature of medicine.

I've gotten massages before that helped a lot. Most of mine were mixed in with some other type of energy work, but if you're not into energy work, you can get pure massages. There's nothing sexual about getting a professional massage.

I wish I could get regular massages now cause I spend all my time around deaf people and signing/receiving tactile sign can be exhausting. On top of that, my right wrist hurts so much from having to swing my cane all the time that I have to wear a brace on it when I walk. I figured out how to minimize the pressure on my wrist but now my shoulder, upper arm, and torso get sore from propping the cane against my body.

Again, nothing sexual about that.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:16 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Just an update on this one.

Apparently she’s not qualified, it’s just something “she does”.
This is a much bigger red flag than the chance of becoming aroused, IMO.

Find someone certified.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:23 AM

499 posts, read 891,811 times
who can guarantee that professional people does not see their job sexual?

beclazone, i appreciate your thoughts.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 AM

499 posts, read 891,811 times
why do people prefer the opposite sex to have a massage?

there is a phrase in Turkey like that:

masaj bahane, okşanmak şahane.

it means:

the massage is an excuse, being rubbed is fantastic

but of course it's not that meaningful when it's translated LOL LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships