Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 PM

71 posts, read 125,320 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe that people are this uptight about dating. It's crazy, what a strange topic. Food is food it can't talk nor is it living. I cannot see how this could even be an issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Possibly. I don't think I could date a vegan/vegetarian. I love things like barbecue and seafood way too much.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:38 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't know. I'm into all sorts of food so ideal that would be something we would share. I don't think his diet would be a deal breaker for me unless he was critical of my food choices.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:46 AM

244 posts, read 333,215 times
Even if 2 people's food preferences are different, they learn to try what each other likes out of love. As long as it's not something restricted by their religion, I don't believe food choices determin compatibility.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:26 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I can (Trimac's thread about veggie haters inspired me).

If someone on a date for instance, orders a med well burger with American cheese, no lettuce, onion or tomato, I know it won't work.

If someone won't do ethnic cuisines, like Thai, Indian, etc. on a date, then I know it won't work.

If someone's idea of a good meal is chicken fingers, then I know it won't work.

If someone says they point blank never eat vegetables, then I know it won't work.
Have you ever considered that some people would love to try more exotic foods but, through no fault of their own, some foods give them digestive problems? I once reluctantly ordered a hamburger to avoid having stomach issues while on a date. I would love to get off red meat and certain other foods but while on a date where choices may be limited and eating the wrong thing can ruin the night is not always the best time to experiment. How our bodies react to food is not under a person's control and I think you should have been smart enough to take this into account before you judge other people. On a date you are only seeing a tiny portion of a person's diet. What I eat out on a date is seldom what I eat at home. I eat extremely healthy at home. Why you and most other food snobs are not perceptive in this area is one of the saddest and most frustrating aspects I find about the dating world.

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 02-01-2012 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-01-2012, 05:39 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Possibly. I don't think I could date a vegan/vegetarian. I love things like barbecue and seafood way too much.
You could always date a pescatarian (veg who eats fish).

If you met a girl that clicked with you on all levels, you'd pass her on by because you love BBQ and she chooses not to eat it? (I'm not talking millitant veg or vegan that's going to lecture you about that pulled pork).

Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
As long as the sex is nutritious, tasty and filling, I don't care what they eat, not even if they're into cannibalism!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:03 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
I'm a strict vegetarian and my SO is an omnivorous bastard lol

I have many books on animal rights, vegan cook books, etc. He knows where they are so it's up to him! Yes, I briefly, and politely, tried to talk him into quitting meat but he wouldn't so... I respect his choice.

When I cook for both of us or for him, I won't use animal products as a matter of principle but I always try to come up with delicious courses so he won't miss anything. I know what he likes so it's easy. When he cooks for both of us, he won't use animal products either.

So, in our case, we're compatible because there's mutual respect. I don't care what he eats if it's not damaging his health.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:16 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,468 times
Just from personal experience, my ew wife's eating habits and my eating causes a huge rift between us and was really the straw that broke the camel's back as far as she was concerned. She became Vegan for personal reasons, and I didn't (Sorry couldn't give up cheese, milk or butter). She didn't like the fact that me or our friends didn't applaud her decision, and we also made snide remarks about each others choice of foods, which only escalated. And eating out???? What a pain!!! We couldn't agree on a place to eat. Ended up we could only eat at two places we both agreed on. I will admit looking back, I could have been much more understanding, and that was the cause more so than our different tastes in food. However it was a big deal none the less.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
I'm a strict vegetarian and my SO is an omnivorous bastard lol

I have many books on animal rights, vegan cook books, etc. He knows where they are so it's up to him! Yes, I briefly, and politely, tried to talk him into quitting meat but he wouldn't so... I respect his choice.

When I cook for both of us or for him, I won't use animal products as a matter of principle but I always try to come up with delicious courses so he won't miss anything. I know what he likes so it's easy. When he cooks for both of us, he won't use animal products either.

So, in our case, we're compatible because there's mutual respect. I don't care what he eats if it's not damaging his health.
I fail to see anything mutual here. He just gave up eating what he likes to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships