Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:10 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,072,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm surprised humans can survive on a fruit-only diet.
It won't be for long. Maybe she wants to become a bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 11:18 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,549,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It won't be for long. Maybe she wants to become a bear.
And yet, give a bear a salmon and he'll let you eat the whole orchard lol

Most fruit is loaded with nutrients but I'm not sure about protein sources if that's all you're eating...

Old 02-01-2012, 03:25 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,674,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
You could always date a pescatarian (veg who eats fish).

If you met a girl that clicked with you on all levels, you'd pass her on by because you love BBQ and she chooses not to eat it? (I'm not talking millitant veg or vegan that's going to lecture you about that pulled pork).
In that case, nah I'd definitely stick with her I can always eat BBQ on my lunch break :P

Old 02-01-2012, 04:14 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,048,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
I'm a strict vegetarian and my SO is an omnivorous bastard lol

I have many books on animal rights, vegan cook books, etc. He knows where they are so it's up to him! Yes, I briefly, and politely, tried to talk him into quitting meat but he wouldn't so... I respect his choice.

When I cook for both of us or for him, I won't use animal products as a matter of principle but I always try to come up with delicious courses so he won't miss anything. I know what he likes so it's easy. When he cooks for both of us, he won't use animal products either.

So, in our case, we're compatible because there's mutual respect. I don't care what he eats if it's not damaging his health.
The fact that you called him an "omnivorous bastard" is kind of telling.
You also lectured him, no matter how brief or polite...which clearly indicates that you believe your way is the "better" way.

That doesn't really demonstrate respect for his choices in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You're a prime example of why I'd never date a vegetarian. It doesn't sound like a mutual respect, it sounds like, if its anything together its your way or the highway. If he heavenforbid wants something, it has to be alone.
I actually agree with you here...go figure! lol

Old 02-01-2012, 04:17 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,048,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
In that case, nah I'd definitely stick with her I can always eat BBQ on my lunch break :P
Or, she could be accepting of the fact that not everyone needs to share her same belief and she could sit WITH you while you eat your BBQ.

Then it's mutual respect...you respect her choice to be a veg and she respects your choice to eat animal products.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,913,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
I had a friend who was a "fruitarian," so she only ate fruit.
I find that very very hard to believe. That is less healthy than the smoke crack every day and shoot heroin on weekends diet.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:26 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,295,249 times
I LOVE to cook. However I am HIGHLY allergic to fish which is an issue because my Husband is Korean and He naturally craves fish. I can't even touch fish without breaking out in a terrible, itchy rash and if I ingest it my throat swells over and I can't breathe and it is a shocking near death experience. However I work around it with the use of gloves and special techniques to keep my food from comming into contact with any of the fish. Celiacs who are allergic to gluten have to do the same thing. I wouldn't discriminate against a man for his food preferences. I live to please so I learn to accept what I can and make due with what I can't. If you can't even come together on food preferences then your relationship is doomed from the outset.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:51 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,674,840 times
Quote:
Or, she could be accepting of the fact that not everyone needs to share her same belief and she could sit WITH you while you eat your BBQ.

Then it's mutual respect...you respect her choice to be a veg and she respects your choice to eat animal products.
That too! BBQ on the way down, not-BBQ on the way back home.

In a dream world she'd not only click with me 100% but she would also cook the world's best BBQ :P

Old 02-01-2012, 05:09 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,549,513 times
Quote:
The fact that you called him an "omnivorous bastard" is kind of telling.
You also lectured him, no matter how brief or polite...which clearly indicates that you believe your way is the "better" way.

That doesn't really demonstrate respect for his choices in my opinion.
The "omnivorous bastard" comment was a joke. I thought it was pretty obvious. I have no problem with him being a meat-eater, otherwise I wouldn't be with him.

And it wasn't a "lecture". It was a standard dialogue. We've debated all sort of stuff. He's tried to convince me to do or to believe some things, to vote for a candidate or a political party, to change my mind about something, to like a particular movie etc, and so have I. What's wrong with that? As long as you respect the other person's decision or final word, nothing's wrong. Food-wise, and it was a few years ago when I was exploring veganism, I explained why I thought that it was better to give up meat and he argued the opposite. We agreed to disagree, as with other matters, and that was the end of it.

Yes, my way is the better way. For me. His way is better for him. We've never, not even once, had an heated argument or a conflict over our respective choice of food.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:44 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,999,695 times
honestly, I respect vegetarians and vegans, but I just couldn't accomodate the lifestyle. I'm a pure beef, pork eater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships