Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,031,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You actually make it sound really romantic/natural...
For us, an open relationship is pretty much a natural thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:39 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,147,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The only time I see an example of lifetime "Love" ever working in its purist form whould be if you stayed with your first sweet heart forever.
This strikes me as amusing, as PhantasyTokoro was my first sweetheart.

Quote:
You actually make it sound really romantic/natural...
For us, it is.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:42 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,978,134 times
Quote:
Unfortunately "Love" is an emotion. Making emotional decisions amost automatically implies the lack of logic.

The only time I see an example of lifetime "Love" ever working in its purist form whould be if you stayed with your first sweet heart forever. Almost any one else has been through multiple relationship exclaiming they were in love with that person. After they leave them they will exclaim that it really wasn't love and that the next one is.

Oh come on people "I am only in love with the current person I am with" is bull because you said the same thing about the last boyfriend or spouse. Convienient amnesia is what it is. "Love is Blind"
There IS nothing logical about love. It's a beast. You can't rationalize, explain, package it.

I agree with the second paragraph. I fell in love at 18, lost that love, and never fell out of love with him. I had relationships after him where I thought I was in love but when we broke up, I was over him within two months or so. It was not love and none has ever matched my one true love. My belief is, if it was true love, you will never ever get over them. But only time will tell that.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:42 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,118,175 times
Quote:
Definitely. That's what confused me about the term 'being in love.' People talk about 'being in love' with people they barely even know, or haven't even spoken to! Isn't that just a crush though?
In my opinion - yes.
Quote:
To me actually being truly, deeply in love with someone is more than a warm fuzzy feeling. It is a deep sense of connection, of unity, of loyalty and commitment.
I agree with this as well.
Quote:
Yet the relationships between a lot of people my age do indeed seem fickle...and of course what pop culture spouts out, celebrating promiscuity. There are like no pop songs celebrating romantic love as in past eras, of sticking in it for each other, of growing old together.
I don't the fickleness of younger people has anything to do with pop songs or pop culture - but of just youth itself. Have you heard of the older songs - "When I'm not near the girl I love, I love the girl I'm with," "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to," "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with," etc. Romantic comedies are still as rampant today as they ever were. Love may seem fickle amongst young people to you because young people are young - and therefore many of them are fickle. It just goes with the territory.
Quote:
I guess, sadly, if I can't pass that first hurdle I will never experience 'true love.' I believe many my age have not yet either. Sex has nothing to do with it. I mean getting into a relationship is nothing, really, but that special type? Is it merely a matter of familiarity, day after day?
Just live your life one day at a time. Things will happen when they are supposed to happen. You can't force love. You can't make love happen. Someday - love will find you. Until then - just live, laugh, and soak up as much as you can.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 AM

30,745 posts, read 21,881,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I believe sex, and sex with your spouse only, is an integral part of a marriage, and if you take sex outside the marriage, it pretty much renders the marriage a sham.
How about if it is an arranged marriage where love doesn't have anything to do with it?

Old 02-01-2012, 10:45 AM

11,343 posts, read 9,241,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think it's necessarily an excuse to be promiscuous. But it gives people a sense that they are less 'trapped' than if they committed entirely to one person. Basically, why bother getting married in the first place, then?
Would it be different with a live-in partner instead of marriage? I was married once and do not want to do that again. But I am open to a live-in partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I think it's lust. Which brings us back to, why not just stay single then?
Not directed at me but I'll comment ---

I have never had an open relationship before but I am opened to it, but only on a very limited basis. As mentioned above a main live-in partner interests me because I'd prefer to live with someone than alone which is what I am currently doing. Say if I do meet someone and she tells me she has a long time lover but does not want to live with him or there are other circumstances, do I have the right to say no? I guess I could but I won't.

Or say the female is bi and wants to have sex with a friend she has known for a long time and can't live with her because her partner is part of a family. Or she likes to have sex with both males and females and tells me she wants to continue to see her. Again, no problem with me.

I guess I'm just more open-minded than many. Most relationships are temporary anyway. But whatever works for you and makes you happy...

Monogamy has never worked for me and for the record I have never cheated on anyone, ever. I'm thinking it may be time to try something different.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:45 AM

30,745 posts, read 21,881,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
There IS nothing logical about love. It's a beast. You can't rationalize, explain, package it.

I agree with the second paragraph. I fell in love at 18, lost that love, and never fell out of love with him. I had relationships after him where I thought I was in love but when we broke up, I was over him within two months or so. It was not love and none has ever matched my one true love. My belief is, if it was true love, you will never ever get over them. But only time will tell that.
"There IS nothing logical about love. It's a beast."
How true, Touche' An example of True Love. What happened to him?

Old 02-01-2012, 10:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,589,342 times
Quote:
How about if it is an arranged marriage where love doesn't have anything to do with it?
That's a different situation. People in those types of marriages (most of my neighbors, for instance) say that they eventually learn or grow to love each other, and they, too, stay monogamous and keep sex within their own marriage. Now, whether they were in love with each other when they started having sex together (after their arranged marriage) is beyond me.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'd like to know where you got the notion that I believe all there is to marriage is sex. You didn't get it from any of my posts.
You said that without sexual exclusivity there is no marriage.

Quote:
I believe sex, and sex with your spouse only, is an integral part of a marriage, and if you take sex outside the marriage, it pretty much renders the marriage a sham.

Ah. You have a different definition of marriage than I.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:54 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,589,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You said that without sexual exclusivity there is no marriage.
I did no such thing. I said there is no marriage without sexual exclusivity. See the difference?

Quote:
Ah. You have a different definition of marriage than I.
I have a fairly universally accepted definition of marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships